Uncle99 -70g rebuild

Uncle99

After 14 months, I have completed my rebuild which should be good for the next 5 years.
My goal this time, my 5th in 25, was to actually listen to those people on this site and employee those things which in the past, I did not pay attention to.
Those were:
1- Having consistent, stable, perfect water quality, on point to NSW and be able to test for each component
2- Having good lighting that would do everything up to SPS and Clams, but not break the bank.
3- Use pre-encrusted porous but dry rock only
4- Absolutely no hitchhikers, crabs, worms, aptasia and other crap which comes on the poor live rock for sale in this country.
5- Select only those fish and inverts which have good reputations for social ability and that make sense for the 70g tank....how I would love a tang....yet I resist.
6-Have a balanced import of the NSW components through water changes weekly, and the export.
7-Selecting only those Softies, LPS and SPS, which are not agressive, or limit their reach of stings to those which have stingers pull out less than an 1"

I am very pleased with the results. I am now finished adding stuff and in maintain mode for the next 5.

May I thank Dave, Paul, Oxy, Nano, and quite a few others in this site who are regular and knowledgeable contributors, I have incorporated your ideas and advice with my past knowledge and I am very happy with the results on this rebuild.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Pat24601

That is an awesome looking tank and scape!

It’s funny because your core principals are the same ones I learned!

Although, I’d add, no impulse buys! Especially of fish. I also chose to set up my tank so it is relatively easy to take my rocks apart and rearrange them, which was not at all true the first time and caused me some real problems.

Uncle99

Yes, you are so right...add principle NO IMPULSE....that's a "biggy"
Some of the values are the same cause I learned them from all you guys out there.
The difference I think this time is actually listening.....

Uncle99

Since finishing this latest rebuild in January 2018, I just made the final coral adjustments and locked down some, just waiting for the clean up.

Thanks again to the membership for sharing their experiences, could not have been successful without your insight and expertise.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Oxylebius

Is that a duncane in the sand bed? Mine are getting too big, again. I need to cut them in half or move them or both. I have them on rocks near the sand bed but not on the sand. Do they show any signs of dislike being on the sand?

Uncle99

image.jpeg So we are up to 24 months now, I noticed around 18 months, the water chemistry became very stable. Finally added my last two fish, a yellow and a blue tang, both around 1-1/2" so they will be good to the next rebuild which includes a bigger tank.

Cleaning has become so much easier now, I really only clean the glass once per week, empty the skimmer cup, a small change in water weekly.

I am happy that this time I did not use 1 crab, just snails, so now my fish can rest easy in a happy place.

We are now working on coral growth, have increased light and running high in the Alk and ca and mg and ph ranges, feeding those who eat every couple of days for hopefully some higher metabolic growth.

While the tank is mine, I must admit, it is the collective help from the respected members which has got me this far.

So for that, I say thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 8

Uncle99

We have been working on automating some things for redundancy, water consistency, safety and feeding.

Replaced Jäger contact heater with the new Fluval 200 watt E-Series digital plugged into an Inkbird 308T temp controller. While temp can lower, it can never exceed 79 degrees or the heater shuts off, if the heater malfunctions ON, the controller shuts it down at 80.

For water consistentency I have added the new heater whose on off variance is .5 degrees. I added a doser for NoPox, ALK, CA and MG.

I added an ATO which also delivers Iodide and Stronium.

I added an Autofeeder.

Since the additions, coral growth became quite noticeable.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Squatch XXL

The layout of your rockwork is simply outstanding. Whatever you are doing is working quite well, and it is apparent from what I see that everything is happy & healthy. You have a very diverse selection of corals that is soothing to even look at in a still frame! Keep up the good work.

Uncle99

So hear we are after 30 months. All 8 major parameters remain stable, salinity 1.025, temp 78.5, varies 0.05 degrees and ALK holds at 9 DKH, CA 440, MG 1360, N 5ppm and phosphate 0.07.

Not much work now, 10% weekly WC, fill ATO every two weeks, clean the skimmer cup, automation created great stability.

Big thanks again to all my RS friends who helped get me here!
image.jpeg