Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

You guys got any suggestions for something I could put over my tunze powerheads to stop fish swimming in as my 2 blennies are quite thin fish and they both swim close to the powerheads.

The pumps have grates over them but the gaps in them are quite large. So I didn't know if I could use the spare netting I have left over from my Red Sea DIY Tank Top as an extra layer behind the grate. I just don't know if it is safe to be submerged in the water constantly as I don't know if it will break down and start to leach anything back into the water.

Courtney

So today I picked up a small Duncan Coral with 2 heads and some Branded Trochus snails and put a load of Copepods in the tank to hopefully seed the live rock some more.

3970ce6c7bb0252229ed98ecf3a034d1.jpg

f2f04a53b455ee18a5652580a30e6f6d.jpg

Also if anyone owns AI Hydra 26HD Led light units wonder if you could give me a hand as I have them setup up in the parent and child configuration although when I'm trying to control them through the iphone app and web app I can only get the parent light to turn on and off and the child light always has connection issues so don't know if anyone else has a fix or the wifi module in the light is faulty.

Oxylebius

You guys got any suggestions for something I could put over my tunze powerheads to stop fish swimming in as my 2 blennies are quite thin fish and they both swim close to the powerheads.

The pumps have grates over them but the gaps in them are quite large. So I didn't know if I could use the spare netting I have left over from my Red Sea DIY Tank Top as an extra layer behind the grate. I just don't know if it is safe to be submerged in the water constantly as I don't know if it will break down and start to leach anything back into the water.

What kind of Tunze powerheads?
There are these two covers that look like rock on the market that I'm aware of. Not sure if there are others. Might keep fish out?
Nanostream Rock 6025.250
Stream Rock 6200.250 - Tunze

SPR

So today I picked up a small Duncan Coral with 2 heads and some Branded Trochus snails and put a load of Copepods in the tank to hopefully seed the live rock some more.

3970ce6c7bb0252229ed98ecf3a034d1.jpg

f2f04a53b455ee18a5652580a30e6f6d.jpg

Also if anyone owns AI Hydra 26HD Led light units wonder if you could give me a hand as I have them setup up in the parent and child configuration although when I'm trying to control them through the iphone app and web app I can only get the parent light to turn on and off and the child light always has connection issues so don't know if anyone else has a fix or the wifi module in the light is faulty.
Connect directly to the Hydra HD’s rather than through any web apps and then they should work fine. Basically if you do a reset, you should see the parent as a ‘network’, connect to it and then proceed to set it and then child’s from there.

I had same problem and there are numerous threads about it. When you want to change anything you just connect direct. It’s takes a few extra seconds but it will actually work when you want it to.

Courtney

I have the Tunze 6055 powerheads which are positioned at the top right and left corners of the tank. Was just worried with the fish getting so close as I don't want a repeat of what happened with my blenny.

So just reset the network on each of them and get them working through the app on my phone. As the parent is always connected to my network but every single time I try to do something the child always has an issue connecting which is frustrating when I want the lights off for putting a fish in but I'll give what you said a go and let you know how it goes.

Courtney

Was wondering how you guys keep your sumps clean as recently mine is just full of waste which the filter socks don't seem to be catching. What do you guys do to stop this as it's driving me insane as fast as I clean it up it comes right back.

a992348e5e1adc5972e0e7efe8261232.jpg

Reactions: SPR

SPR

When I do a water change I do it from the sump with a Python water changer which basically sucks all the debris out with the water. It’s the only way I found I could get all the bits out and I even tried the small aquarium/sand hoovers which were rubbish.

I also keep a thick chunk of filter wool in the sump which I just drop in and then throw away every week which also catches any debris.

If you socks ever overflow that will add more debris so change them regularly before they spill over.

A combination of the above keeps my sump reasonably clean, but it’s by no means spotless and probably dirtier than yours.

Oxylebius

Was wondering how you guys keep your sumps clean as recently mine is just full of waste which the filter socks don't seem to be catching. What do you guys do to stop this as it's driving me insane as fast as I clean it up it comes right back.

a992348e5e1adc5972e0e7efe8261232.jpg

I stir it up and allow it to filter into the DT (pls know that I do this regularly so the build up isn't that think/dense). The gorgonian, sponges, monties and stylos love it. And the chalice, favite and favia all extend their polyps. I can see the little polyps open and close eating the debris. And within minutes they look more vibrant in color. I usually do this right after I feed the fish in the evening, right when I turn the pumps and skimmer back on. I also vacuum my sand bed when I do water changes and blow off my rocks on a regular basis, so I don't worry that stirring the sump will add the debris to the DT that would then build up there.

If it is thick with build up I'd recommend you vacuum it out of the sump.

In the pic you provided it doesn't look too thick or dense as I can see a reflection off the bottom of the tank. Looks like you have a skimmer in there. You can always turn off the pumps to the DT and then stir it up and allow the skimmer to pull some of that out. Allow a wet skim for a bit and refill the sump as needed to allow the skimmer to continue to pull it out. Its just another option to think about.

Courtney

Thanks for the info on cleaning my sump up will give it a go next time I do a water change.

Well another day at work and another purchase [emoji23]
Picked up 3 new fish which look beautiful which you can see below.

Saddleback Anthias
67fb9711af2a4e2ea88a940a2daf6b39.jpg

Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
3a142d34f9e059e0f59ef10448dc2e19.jpg

Convict Tang
caca86ce8c463d127a4e7a0ede18c398.jpg

Courtney

Yeah had to save one of my strawberry Conches from the big one earlier haha so just have to make sure there well fed so they don't go hunting other members of the cuc.

Courtney

Picked up my last fish today so I have 15 total now and that is it for me I think [emoji23]

Well I picked up a Flame Scooter Blenny such an awesome looking fish love him already!

35dbc24b46ea44a85231e42333ea1176.jpg

Last edited:

Courtney

Wondering if you guys might know a cause for candy canes dying off as before I swapped tanks all of mine were thriving really puffy and healthy looking and the feeder tentacles always coming out at night. Although since swapping tanks mine have started to die off and I can't think why as all my other corals are thriving and getting bigger.

Below are pictures of them and as you will see they look shrivelled up and the flesh is receding and you can see the skeletons.

595166770d44e24d135e3cd904649ac2.jpg

314d086813e1a92d9090fef64005af2f.jpg

8c160064d038a3a846cdb4a32d447e2e.jpg

Courtney

Yeah I have some ReefRoids I normally give them some other powdered food but yeah I will give them some more ReefRoids and see if that helps it's a shame that there dying off

SPR

Try moving them higher up in your tank as they have a lighting requirement of medium to high intensity and yours look like their on the bottom of the tank.

It’s difficult to tell from the photo’s but they look like they may be a little bit shaded as well from light.

Courtney

I originally had them at the top of the tank but moved them down as I thought they didn't like the light. As in my RSM 250 they was just off the sand and doing great but that was under T5 lighting so maybe they don't like LED's as much.

Will move them when I get home from work tonight. Being up early sucks haha want to be back in bed [emoji23]

Oxylebius

It could be a number of things. Since you switched tanks, water current and lighting could be major factors after water chemistry. As long as you know that there isn't anything wrong with your water chemistry, and since you did switch from T5s to LEDs the corals will have to acclimate to the new light. There is a chance the LEDs are the major issue here, but make sure they are getting enough water flow around them as well. Treat them like you would any coral acclimating to a new tank. Slow movement up or down the water column and around the tank is best until you find a location that they like.

Courtney

Well there opening slightly more at the bottom of the tank under shade so might try give them a bit more light but still placed at the bottom of the tank and see how we go.

Also woke up to my saddleback anthias dead in the sand which was sad as was a really pretty fish. Don't know why as wasn't being chased or picked on and was feeing well yesterday evening so bit of a mystery as to why it died so going to leave the tank as is for now and wait before I get another fish.