Lawnmower Blenny Diet?

newclean

My blenny is housed with a more aggressive grouper and I think that he may not be naturally shy but since he's forced to be, he is too stressed to try new foods. I had a diatom outbreak before I started moving toward low nutrients and I bought him to control the algae. He is constantly picking at bare rocks and whithering away. He is just as bad as BoomerD describes where his whole body is thinning out. He has been unhealthy for about 2 months now, I think that the meaty foods fed to the grouper have contributed enough N and P to only grow slight amounts of micro algae.

I tried feeding him dried macro algae (green, red, and brown) but he only picks at it slightly before it breaks apart (about 18 hours) and needs to be removed.

BoomerD, your idea for culturing micro algae on live rock and rotating into the display interests me. How would I make micro algae win? If I use a specific spectrum of light could I promote the growth of micro algae enough to keep coraline from winning? Would I need to maintain high nutrients to grow micro algae?

P.S. I will get rid of the grouper in less than a year when approaches his maximum comfortable size in my 75 gal. When the grouper is gone I will look for the blenny to develop a more colorful personality and try more foods.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Newclean - I would remove the blenny to a different tank immediately so it can browse freely. It may be afraid of being eaten :eek: Provide fresh nori to it daily; in the morning then remove any uneaten that night.

Here is some more pics of my "Betty" :)

20080613fishpics050.jpg

20080621012.jpg

20080623lawnmowerblenny003.jpg

20080613fishpics017.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pics !!! I have a similar starry blenny & love him ! These fish have a very cool look to me :dance:

Mine likes nori too !

Robzilla

Mine, Blenny Kravitz, eats anything put in the tank.....including my hand. He even steals meaty foods like krill right out of the mouths of other fish. A pig indeed!

kami808

Newclean - I would remove the blenny to a different tank immediately so it can browse freely. It may be afraid of being eaten :eek: Provide fresh nori to it daily; in the morning then remove any uneaten that night.

Here is some more pics of my "Betty" :)

20080613fishpics050.jpg

20080621012.jpg

20080623lawnmowerblenny003.jpg

20080613fishpics017.jpg
Beautiful shots !

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Uncle99

Mine, like yours only ever eats GHA, and some Copepods that likely come with every bite. Does the best job ever cleaning....better than 30 snails...