EVB's Red Sea Max S 650 LED

emvanburen

Love it!

Happy Thanksgiving to all those on the left side of the pond.

Interesting chemistry and thermo in the tank - I added the Kessil H380 on my chaeto fuge. This brought my pH up a solid .1 and evened it out. I think - the higher pH has increased calcification and my Alk is down. I’ve been playing catch-up on dosing and am stuck in the 10.2-10.5 range. And wow, we can take a lot of Red Sea part B! I’m at 320ml. But pretty easy to adjust w the Neptune DOS.

Temp on the other hand is a problem. I jump a whole degree when the Kessil is running. I’ve tried adjusting my fan to blow air at the doors instead of hot air on the surface of the sump. Hopefully that works. If not I got an icecap fan and will install it through the black back panel. If it’s not one thing!

Added 5 yellow striped cardinals and a Solon wrasse. Afraid the eraser isn’t getting on w my other Ruby wrasse. Today will be important in their future relationship!

My 12 chromis ordered at the LFS all crashed with all their chromis after 2 wks in their quarantine. Bizarre. So we wait another month for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emvanburen

Wrasse was briefly spotted but is again in hiding. The cardinals are fun and appear to be settling in.
56c259639a3b9a95fa09c4a8568da352.jpg

Hard to take pics because the gang of tangs all want to photobomb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emvanburen

Today’s project was to bring order to the fish closet. Before:
b0af995b0610f40aebe77baa6265c39a.jpg

After:
f5b87e438a5ea3e7434e41a072c64771.jpg

I think it looks better and things are easier to get to. Most things are in kits now. Trace elements, food, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emvanburen

A productive weekend but now without some hassles. My aquascape has been bothering me so I pushed my right island’s top back. I’m happier with it as it opened up more space for coral and unshaded a lot of territory. Here’s a quick video.

I figured out what is happening with my new Solon wrasse. It isn’t my Ruby headed wrasse who is bothering it. It is my Sixline. I’m not sure how this doesn’t end badly.

Adding insult to injury, my dominate Bartlett Anthias has unleashed fury on the low man. And I think it is a male (hence problem). At least they are easy to catch.....not.

emvanburen

Great pics! But, the wrasse issue doesn’t sound like fun
Thanks! No, stressful.

In lieu of fretting about it I’ve found the actual Red Sea document on lights I never got and am working to get closer to it. Here is current settings.
e629fb593d3f34b0a756083a937ec801.jpg

Slowely raising the blues and increasing the ramps. My morning 5% lights are for my coffee!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Thanks! No, stressful.

In lieu of fretting about it I’ve found the actual Red Sea document on lights in never got and am working to get closer to it. Here is current settings.

Slowely raising the blues and increasing the ramps. My morning 5% lights are for my coffee!

I use the Red Sea settings, but I've extended the blue during the evening.

SPR

Thanks! No, stressful.

In lieu of fretting about it I’ve found the actual Red Sea document on lights in never got and am working to get closer to it. Here is current settings.

I’ve always used the Red Sea settings other than I ramp down all the white slowly from around 7pm and go ‘blue’ simply because I like it! Looks like the ocean - at night!

My on time is around 11.45am and then total off at 10pm.

SPR

Added my drip tray with double sided foam tape, and replumbed the outlet of my reactor w hard pipe. Much cleaner and easier to service now.
2e2217c103cf3cd009e41647142fc8e2.jpg
6c39b8de987c55232347e7712d50ab73.jpg

What’s the hose running into the top of the NYOS air valve for ?

Looks like you have the screw turned down a bit as well. Mine is always wide open unless it’s the angle

That’s a good idea with the scarpers on the door. Mine have always been at the back of the tank dripping water on the floor. Glad I thought of that idea! Lol

emvanburen

What’s the hose running into the top of the NYOS air valve for ?

Looks like you have the screw turned down a bit as well. Mine is always wide open unless it’s the angle
It is a line to my co2 scrubber.
I’m struggling to dial in this skimmer. Cleaned the whole thing this weekend and it is a bit happier.

emvanburen

My skimmer is sitting on a little platform to raise it up, so the drain lines will clear the front edge of the sump. That might account for the difference in the outlet settings

SPR

My skimmer is sitting on a little platform to raise it up, so the drain lines will clear the front edge of the sump. That might account for the difference in the outlet settings

Ah line to the scrubber I see.

I wonder if you have it sitting up if thats why your having trouble dialling it in as the height is critical to it functioning properly? Should be 22cm deep in the water.

I’ve got mine just sat on the old rubber/plastic plate the C Skim was sat on just cut down to a square shape to reduce any sound even further so the skimmer is only lifted about 1cm from the sump floor.

My NYOS worked pretty much out of the box subject to a couple of times when it freaked out over skimming as they do!

Nobbygas

Added my drip tray with double sided foam tape, and replumbed the outlet of my reactor w hard pipe. Much cleaner and easier to service now.
2e2217c103cf3cd009e41647142fc8e2.jpg
6c39b8de987c55232347e7712d50ab73.jpg

See, that is why we read these forums, because some of the simple ideas that people think up usually escape us mere mortals :) That drip tray is a stroke of genius.

SPR

See, that is why we read these forums, because some of the simple ideas that people think up usually escape us mere mortals :) That drip tray is a stroke of genius.
I know!! He’s and engineering genius!

I’ve just measured my scrapers and can you believe there to long for the door! There all designed to easily get to the bottom back of the tank so....

emvanburen

I think the drip tray idea would work w long scrapers mounted on the back of the tank