S-400 or E-260?

metastable

Hi everyone! I finally got some space to put an aquarium hat I dreamed for years. I’m a beginner so I plan to get one of Redsea’s all in one product. I’m looking at max E260 or S 400. They don’t seem too different to me other than size, but the s series are much more expensive. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks a lot!

BTW what is a good way to buy the tank? It seems that no pet shop nearby carries the model I want.

DaveK

This is always a tough call. Before you make you choice give a lot of thought to what you plan to do with the tank, and your level of experience. You may find that the smaller tank will fill your needs.

Smaller tanks can be real gems, but you do need to understand their limitations. The larger tank lets you do more but it will be more work, and likely cost more.

Don't forget to consider the total cost of ownership. All those additions you might want can add up. Also the cost of electricity to power the tank can be a lot too.

If you can find a LFS that is within about 100 miles and has what you want, then I'd say support your LFS. Otherwise buy from one of the major online suppliers. It is also possible to look into the used market. Like anything else used you can get a good proce, but if there are problems, it's your problems.

Reactions: SPR

metastable

Thanks so much! But I cannot even get a good idea about the key difference between the two other than the size... e.g. the filter? light? skimmer?

SPR

Thanks so much! But I cannot even get a good idea about the key difference between the two other than the size... e.g. the filter? light? skimmer?
I have had both (well I have the Max S 650 which is same as 400 but bigger) and although they both look beautiful, the filtration and other systems are completely different and are worlds apart when it comes to maintenance cleaning etc.

The lights are the same with the Hydra 26HD’s

In the E260 all the filtration is in the confined back of the system and consists of just 2 black sponges that you have to wrestle out to clean. The skimmer is functional and basic and unless you then buy the sump package you can’t change it for anything else if you need or want to.

To look at they are both stunning, but if wanted a second tank I wouldn’t even consider the E260 over a Max S Series as there is no comparison in terms of usability, maintenance, future changes and additions etc and that’s probably why they are much more expensive. You get what you pay for unfortunately. The S has 15mm glass as well so the quality is all there.

A big major difference is the S Series has a full glass sump with filter socks etc and can accommodate GFO reactors, additional filtration etc etc.

In the Max S’s, you may wish to change out the skimmer eventually, but the c Skim 1800 is perfectly functional and does its job. But the thing is you CAN change it if you want as your experience gains.

I would also go as big as you can afford/accommodate as you will regret it later and maybe want to upgrade again. I went from E260 to Max S 650 in 2 months when I got hooked and if they sold a Max 1000 I would have had that as well! Lol

Also if you want to check out what ownership is like check out my build thread which may help you:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...uns-red-sea-max-s-650-led-design-build.96917/

Last edited:

metastable

Thanks SPR for the detailed information! I couldn't know those differences from just looking at the official website right? Or I just overlooked... Anyway, really helpful! Thanks!

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Thanks SPR for the detailed information! I couldn't know those differences from just looking at the official website right? Or I just overlooked... Anyway, really helpful! Thanks!
Well you could know if you know what to look for in a new system, as it’s all shown, but if your new like I was also, no I don’t think you would as until you experience the systems working, cleaning etc you have no idea what they do and ease of use etc.