Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

Ah, I don't think mine is pushed all the way back. I left a small gap so that the glass of the Sump wasn't touching anything, to avoid any vibration issues. Maybe I should look to just push it back a bit more during the next water change. I'll have to have a peek to see how much room I've got to play with.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

More questions......sorry......but on your UV-C. It has a 'viewing panel' where a light appears to show it's working, but how bright is your light? If I have the room in complete darkness, and then cup my hands around the light, I can only just make out a very faint light blue glow. Is yours like this?

SPR

More questions......sorry......but on your UV-C. It has a 'viewing panel' where a light appears to show it's working, but how bright is your light? If I have the room in complete darkness, and then cup my hands around the light, I can only just make out a very faint light blue glow. Is yours like this?

You can ask as many questions as you want, that's what we are all here for. Well and because we're obsessed with fish tanks!

If you look at the picture of the UVC you will see top left that there is a small square mirror and thats there so that I can see the very faint blue light, that's well, very faint and not very bright. It's even fainter when the UVC is upside down and the lights behind it! Lol

Oh and the UVC return hose is now inside the aluminium strength bar as I also have OCD and I couldn't bear to look at it outside anymore!

Nobbygas

Thank God you've moved that hose. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

The light is a bit dim isn't it! After installing the unit, my first thought was that I'll have to take it all out and dismantle the 'Mega Huge Rocket Launcher of Death' because I didn't think the light was on.
Like you, I tried placing it in various places, but like you, I've put it in the vertical position in the same place as yours. I did think that after moving the Sump back a little that there may be room to lay it down along the front, but the thought of dripping water onto it put me off of that idea.
I'll pop some pictures up tomorrow of mine.

SPR

I've just made a short video of the tank as it stands today. All parameters are good and the SPS corals I added are all doing very well.

Nitrate levels have gradually fallen from around 12-16ppm to 6ppm ish and basically back under my control, rather than doing whatever it wanted, with I believe a combination of NoPox, Purigen, and the 2 Brightwell Xport NO3 bricks. Rhowaphos controls phosphate which is generally locked down 0-0.03 ish.

I'm starting to balance out the dose of NoPox which is currently at 14ml per day and I'm going to leave it there and just monitor it as everything looks fine and healthy.

Anyway I know everyone likes pictures but here is a short video for a change which should hopefully be in HD.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Beautiful.
I love that colony of Xenia. I know that many reefers hate the stuff, but I love it. I once saw a colony while diving that must have been about five meters from top to bottom, and about ten meters wide. It was magnificent. I did have some in my previous 100l tank, but I bought a Filefish to eat the Apstasia, which he did wonderfully, but he also chomped all the Xenia as well !
I think you and me are similar in that we like the 'wavy things'. While the SPS can also look good there is something hypnotic about the stuff that moves with the currents.

Was that a Regal Angelfish I saw meandering by?

SPR

Beautiful.
I love that colony of Xenia. I know that many reefers hate the stuff, but I love it. I once saw a colony while diving that must have been about five meters from top to bottom, and about ten meters wide. It was magnificent. I did have some in my previous 100l tank, but I bought a Filefish to eat the Apstasia, which he did wonderfully, but he also chomped all the Xenia as well !
I think you and me are similar in that we like the 'wavy things'. While the SPS can also look good there is something hypnotic about the stuff that moves with the currents.

Was that a Regal Angelfish I saw meandering by?

Yes it's a young Dwarf Regal Angelfish and it has a very pleasant manner and just swims around minding its business.

I prefer the movement in the tank which is why most of my corals move, some more than others. Its rather hypnotic! It's also why after a bottle of wine (or 2!) I usually pass out whilst staring at it lol!

I've fragged the Xenia and also many of the other corals several times, especially some of the SPS which are very easy, just breaking a piece off and attaching to the rockwork. I did the red/orange montipora Coral last week and got about 5 pieces from it which are in different locations.

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, I did the same last week. I bought a cheap SPS thingy. It looks like some sponge fingers sticking up (Seriatopora?). Originally it had about seven fingers, but two snapped off as I was placing it. I just stuck that bit onto another piece of rock, and hey presto, two corals. Pity we can't do the same with the fish isn't it!

SPR

I happened upon my local fish shop today...........

And into my plastic bag fell a Magnificant Foxface and Kole Yellow Eyed Tang I do believe.

These photos are after being added for about 2 hours and they are currently getting the usual ‘harassment’ from the other occupants. It tends to be the Coral Beauty that can get quiet annoyed with new visitors.

822e9820a309b2abf11e51d61e9e14f6.heic
7df6555661f3389613509114f8a7e3fd.heic
3e7dc6d27e8ee73dd787881d98c206a0.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Well after nearly a year and a half I decided it would make my life so much easier if I installed lights in the sump as opposed to using a torch

I got a set of 6 x 30cm LED lights strips and have used heavy duty velcro to stick them to the top of the cupboard. They came with small screws but apart from the obvious potential for ‘catastrophe’ they wouldn’t screw in as the base of the tank is some form of plastic resin. Probably best.....

They are 12v so perfectly safe and are plugged into a spare socket in the power centre.

I turned them on and it was like a breath of fresh air! Well actually not. I thought i kept the sump very clean by torch light. But with 1800lm led lights it looks filthy! Ill sort that out when i do the next water change and get it spotless.

Ive only used 4 so far and will keep the others as spares for the time being

Oh and Velcro. I cant believe I’ve not discovered the joy and potential uses of this stuff before especially the heavy duty version. Im looking for stuff to fasten up now!

Infact as and when i do maintenance on the pumps etc im going to velcro power strips to the back of the outside of the tank and sort the nest of wires out. Sometimes a 5 minute job can take ages just sorting through the wires

Anyway let there be light....

2fdf3a337dc144a82f1f0f1a6a1021a3.heic
ad6355801fb0c6cb6039c7c3b481d532.heic

emvanburen

Looks great. I’ve found Light down there makes life better - more inclined to keep things neat. I have mine on auto via Apex and cabinet switches.

SPR

Looks great. I’ve found Light down there makes life better - more inclined to keep things neat. I have mine on auto via Apex and cabinet switches.

I am currently restraining myself on Apex as the new UK energy bar is ‘supposedly’ arriving late this year which is getting closer. I really am having to control myself here as I go away a lot and I ‘really really’ need to get it, so if you read I’ve got it you will know I’ve snapped! Lol. I’ve been eyeing it up and all the accessories over the last few weeks more than i usually do..

Worst case I can use the old energy bar and just buy the new one when it comes out!

Oh and I will be attaching it to the tank with..... Velcro!

Can you point me in the direction of types of switches for the Apex? The cabinet ones seem a great idea for the lights as I currently keep leaving them on.

emvanburen

66e7fb2ac003b560e51260c9970466c7.jpg

I attached them w double stick foam tape and rigged them to a break out box so they shut the Apex outlet off when both doors are closed.

SPR

Thanks very much for the pointer on that, I can start learning about all this stuff and what Apex can do with such things.

I heard today from my LFS that Apex with the new energy bar should be with us in the UK around Christmas 2017. Rather ideal, happy Christmas to me!!

emvanburen

I have found the apex to be a lot of fun to fiddle with. In my last tank I have the old apex pre fusion and I fiddled with settings in the tank (bad). No I mainly fiddle with monitoring and safety. I love fusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPR

I have found the apex to be a lot of fun to fiddle with. In my last tank I have the old apex pre fusion and I fiddled with settings in the tank (bad). No I mainly fiddle with monitoring and safety. I love fusion.

That’s my exact thoughts, to stop me messing with things because I have nothing else to mess with! Lol

I would have purchased it before but I couldn’t see the point in getting it with the old energy bar as it’s not cheap, when it’s coming over here shortly. If it was another year then maybe.

emvanburen

I have found my skimmer shutdown is very helpful. The high/low sump alarms and lead detector so far haven’t been called upon. The Dos units are awesome - I do 4 daily additives plus auto daily water change. #nobuckets. Heaters and fan and main pump and skimmer. Plus some stuff in the mixing room downstairs. I love it!

emvanburen

I am hoping to get the cor pump if it is sized correctly. It will run at like 5% just enough to keep the return line full for a nice controlled feed mode. No splashing on restart.

SPR

I had a little or rather a lot of spare time on my hands today so decided I’d go and get some more shrimps as they all seem to have disappeared into the depths....

So I purchased 3 peppermint (aiptasia eating ones) as I’ve had some reappear, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 red shrimp. I can’t give photos as they have all run off into the rockwork and will start doing their assigned jobs shortly (hopefully!)

Oh and I was ‘browsing’ as you do, and happen to see what I believe is a Purple/Yellow tailed tang which I thought was stunning, and well it fell into a plastic bag, accidentally!. I also got a small Regal Gamma as my previous one decided to leap to his fate a few weeks ago which is actually the first fish I’ve lost like this since setting up the system.

Anyway here you go....

IMG_1192.JPGIMG_1196.JPGIMG_1197.JPGIMG_1198.JPGIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1202.JPGIMG_1203.JPGIMG_1201.JPG

Last edited: