Odd Pipefish Behavior

Paul B

I find this very odd. I have a breeding pair of bluestripe pipefish for 4 or 5 years and there is no problem with them.
A month ago I added a pair of Janss Pipefish which are also doing fine. But yesterday I noticed my male pipefish is losing his tail and it is just ribs. He seems healthy otherwise, hunts and all but I have been noticing he is not hanging out with his mate much.

This morning I found out why.
One of the Janss pipefish, I assume the male chases the male blue stripe when ever he comes out to eat. The Janss pipefish will dart after him like a javelin from across the tank and chase him into the corner. I never noticed this before with two very different types of pipefish.
You can see the Janss here.

And the bluestripes.

Paul B

My male pipefish seems to have almost healed his tail. It was down to stumps as the much larger janss pipefish would chase him whenever he came out to do whatever pipefish do. That pair of bluestripe pipefish learned that they have to stay on the other end of the tank so now I have to feed them there. They are happy again and are doing their spawning dance that resembles the macarana.

Pat24601

My male pipefish seems to have almost healed his tail. It was down to stumps as the much larger janss pipefish would chase him whenever he came out to do whatever pipefish do. That pair of bluestripe pipefish learned that they have to stay on the other end of the tank so now I have to feed them there. They are happy again and are doing their spawning dance that resembles the macarana.

I thought this was going to have a much worse ending. That's good. :)

Paul B

Pat, you have little faith in my pipefish. I taught them how to give each other Raike, so they can heal themselves. :D

Cracker, A fish hook that would fit in the mouth of a pipefish would look like this ------> , <-------
And then you have to bait it with a live, new born brine shrimp. Good luck with that. :rolleyes: