Brown Mushrooms

pgrtgunner

Hello all
I've had my tank set up for over 3 years now. I keep seeing these dark brown with light green
bumps popping up all around my Trumpet coral with 31 heads. They are slowly pushing the heads
down. I know yawl are going to want pictures. The problem being, I don't own an under water camera, sorry.
I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one to ever get them.

I just want to know if I should cut them off, poison them with vinegar, or just leave them alone?

Thanks, Flash

yungreefer2410

Umm you don't need an underwater camera?

Take from side with best view, if that isn't enough you can take the picture thru a view finder, like the ones they use in LFS for seeing clearly down thru the top of the water. They are simply an acrylic box with an open top

pgrtgunner

If I could take it from the side I surely would, they are under my Trumpets in the middle of the tank. It's not a nono cube. There has to be someone in the sw world that has had the these shrooms, I can't be the only one. If I was, we have a scoop (story) for you younger folks. Come on Paul, you've had tanks since the beginning of time, help me out, please.

Revan

If I could take it from the side I surely would, they are under my Trumpets in the middle of the tank. It's not a nono cube. There has to be someone in the sw world that has had the these shrooms, I can't be the only one. If I was, we have a scoop (story) for you younger folks. Come on Paul, you've had tanks since the beginning of time, help me out, please.

Are you sure what your seeing aren't Majano anemones? You might want to compare what you have to some pictures online. The link below might help as well.

https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

Squatch XXL

Good luck getting anything out of Paul
It is not hard to ask an individual for help on this forum. You can simply put an "@" in front of their name, and it will send them a message that links back to this thread.

Paul B certainly has lots to offer to anyone who has had a tank less time than he. I have had no issues with my dumb questions and interactions, and he seems to be a stand up guy. He even published a book, which is great for DIY people like myself.

@pgrtgunner Without photos, I have to wonder if they are Mojano/aptasia. You could google these 2 terms and compare photos on the interwebs to your tank.

Paul B

I have no idea what those bumps are without seeing them. They could be anything from Majanos to parts from an old Oldsmobile. Just take a cell phone picture.
The "bumps" may even be something beneficial or even benign.
I don't normally just come on here and look for my name so if you want to ask me something, PM me. I may not have the answer because I don't have an answer for everything although I may make up something. :eek:

I just remembered, there is a green bubble algae, I forgot the name that is kind of invasive and they are about 1/4 to 3/8" almost perfectly round and have slight white lines going from the center to the bottom. I have a bunch of them in my algae trough and they have been there for about 15 years. If that is what you have, you still need picture or at least a drawing.