My new 500max led build

mr_tap_water

Once it goes under the 10 No3 you're meant to half your recommended dosage and then gradually decrease until you have a maintenance dosage holding it around 1 to 2 is usually recommended .
really I would suggest reading The red Sea instructions that come with it again which will help you understand better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

Yes just read instructions and follow them closely as you don't want 0 nitrates or other 'bad' things might come along! I think the minimum is 0.25 Nitrate on ultra low set up.

Just for reference my nitrates have been running at around 10 for months and I've been dosing a gradual increasing amount of around 12-18ml per day. They just spiked to 16ppm so im currently at 24ml (4ml/100 litre) having spoken to Red Sea which is above the normal instruction dose to try and clear out the nutrients.

To be honest I've read an article called Tanks Of The Masters and most of there Tanks are running at 10-15ppm Nitrate or more and look fantastic. At 10 mine is very healthy, no algea any more or anything (at the moment!!).

Whitey1973

Another expensive trip to my LFS[emoji23][emoji23]

As I plan to now start stocking my tank with corals been and brought a dosing pump and Red Sea ABC, spent the evening setting it up and getting my Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels where I want them, tested parameters and just need to wait now and work out dosing levels
041e13a861a66a41c3a136527a1701b8.jpg

Not the finished article, but Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

SPR

I like sump pictures for some reason! It's just interesting to see how everybody does things slightly differently.

PS have you taken off the plastic cover on the lid of the NYOS? I had left mine on and there are some air vents and it kept banging every so often! Wondered what it was!

Whitey1973

[emoji23][emoji23] yeah took the film off, sump is still work in progress need to fit a light in there at the weekend and tidy up dosing pipes, I've ordered some new silicone ones which are bette than the ones that come with it

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I've got a mechanics LED light which you can hang/stand anywhere off eBay. Very powerful light and it's portable so you can point it anywhere and has either small direct torch effect or wide angle effect.

This is mainly because I didn't like the idea of full power normal electric bulb in the 'wet' sump and the low voltage ones didn't seem very powerful

On the tubes for NoPox, if you use it, you need silicone anyway otherwise it will react with plastics etc.

As a matter of interest, why did you get the 3 channel Kamoer instead of the 4 channel? I only ask because if you do start using NoPox, that will be 1 channel used, and then if you want to dose Alk, Ca, Mg.... ? You will be one missing. They are about the same price.

I only ask because as it's new you might be able to still change it if you needed to.

Whitey1973

I'm not going to run NOPOX anymore, my rowaphos is keeping my phosphates in check and my nitrates are good with the water change every week, I'll see how it goes.... the 3 channel I got cheep and can always add a slave at a later date if needed, ill hopefully get sump finished this weekend so will post some more pics

Whitey1973

Another busy day, tidying up sump and fitted a light
323b4b11d987d0e3253b2527d88e7d91.jpg
now I can see what I'm doing wrong!!!![emoji23]

Done my water change and tested the water bringing my Alk, Calcium and magnesium up to where I want them...Alk 9.5, Calcium 440 and Magnesium 1440, now I just need to wait and work out my dosing levels, silicone tubing arrived so doser will be set up this week.... Oh and what better way to relax after all that hard work than a trip to the local LFS

Made a little dent in stocking some corals
afd0bb1079acd6340c81b3a19a9a3317.jpg
da003218bbd7cbc12e2e2bd1e6052dff.jpg
fff74a3878f1a392ee9259b53c810ba9.jpg
0d5a8419d1a950170fbc15b347b218f5.jpg
a7de643b2a9a648d718c8eb00427becb.jpg
e0bdcd09bcc3af453820b8ab5369fba1.jpg
042540bc351a1d98043be1c742a4a891.jpg
62e2d07e3ac7ac50b4697d1c2c99703b.jpg
bfb915111cb6a1223ded7efd2176b96c.jpg
4896aff89aef338fb0c3c75c7d67686d.jpg

SPR

Looking good!

Whats the brick in the sump. Is it Marine Pure or Brightwell Xport NO3 or something else?

I've been reading about these and can't make my mind up which one to get and try it out.

Have you used them before and are they any good?

Whitey1973

Yes it's marine pure, works great, I added it from the start as I've only got about 45 Kg of rock and a shallow sand bed,

Whitey1973

I've not used it before but read a lot about it, I would recommend it as my ammonia and nitrites have been at zero from the start, you probably won't need it with the amount of rock you have unless your getting a reading on your ammonia or nitrites

SPR

My nitrates have been around 10ppm for months (and corals etc very happy) but I tested the other day and they were around 16 so although I'm using NoPox and it's currently under control I've been looking at additional methods as I have a high Bio load and my fish need feeding more.

Especially the Regal Zoa eating Tang!! He's a hungry boy I think. I'm going to turn the skimmer up a bit more, but I need to feed more, but also remove the extra waste. I have always skimmed wet but I'm going to go wetter.

I'm away for 7 days and they are being fed once a day while I'm away so will being starving when I get back! I didn't want to alter the skimmer or touch anything else before I went.

The XPort NO3 brick looks good but so does the Marine Pure and I keep changing my mind!! I'm swaying towards the NO3 brick, because it's currently in my eBay 'watch list', but now you two run Marine Pure.....

You can use them both for Nitrate removal, you just submerge them fully (passive system) to get anaerobic denitrification bacteria growing (which then converts Nitrate to nitrogen gas same as the live rock) rather than for ammonia and nitrite removal were you want aerobic nitrification so don't have it submerged but run water through it (in an active system)

I think I'm going to probably go with the Xport NO3 Brick, because Brightwell also have many other 'goodies' that might help, but that's today. I might have changed my mind tomorrow again!

Whitey1973

Well I don't know about the xport brick but I'm happy with the marine pure, I have my return pipe from my rowaphos reactor pumping back in to the section it sits in just to give it a little flow around it

Whitey1973

1f22cf4da1dcaea172da67ba05c0b880.jpg

My dosing containers turned up today so plumbed in the Kamoer and set up my Doser for Alkalinity and Calcium, Magnesium will be manually for now as levels don't seem to drop at the minute, I've got the buying coral bug at the minute, LFS has some new stock coming in on Thursday so I thought it would be rude not to nip in and see what they have got!!!! " I'm just going to look... I'm just going to look" sod it who am I kidding [emoji23]

SPR

Depending on what salt your using you may not need to dose anything for a while as you probably have a low uptake at the moment. I used the Red Sea Coral Pro and from memory I manually dosed for maybe 6 months at a guess as and when needed.

The Mg was always around1400 and I never needed to dose it. The liquid in my doser is probably 6 months old and the first batch I made up!

I'm on the standard Red Sea Salt now and still hardly need to use any Mg, in fact if I need to dose something else I'll take the Mg offline.

There the same liquid containers I have as well.TMC. I had to upgrade the Alk to the 5 litres for when I go away for 2 weeks or so. Accelerated growth at 12.6 dkh used to drink it up!

And the small flipper. Do you really use that to clean your sump or is that were you keep it? Because your making me think I need one!!! I have the extra large one for the main display but do I need one for my sump....???

Oh and yes, you need to feed your addiction at the LFS! lol

PS you have purchased the `Hanna Alkalinity' haven't you!

Whitey1973

You don't miss a thing do you[emoji23][emoji23] I do clean my sump but not with the flipper, that was the nano one I had for my small tank, I cut off the blade and glued my ATO sensor to it, and you spotted my test vial, yes got the alk tester, just waiting for the Calcium one to arrive, much easier than before, I've decided to have my alkalinity at 9.5 dkh, currently only having to dose 23ml per day and 8ml of Calcium, but it's early days, what are you using to replace you Alk with, are you using Redsea A B C ??

SPR

I'm glad you don't use the flipper in your sump. That would be very obsessive!

I use Red Sea individual A B and C but hardly any C

When you get the Hanna Calcium, open the packet carefully. As soon as I saw the contents it went back in preference to continue using the Red Sea which is very easy. It looked like something that 'Triton' labs might use! lol

It's all personal preference so you may like it.

Whitey1973

Good god.... I should have watched the YouTube video of the Hanna calcium tester before ordering it!!!! I think mine will be going back also [emoji23]