Brightwell Aquatics Xport NO3 Brick ?

SPR

I was just wondering if anybody has tried this ?

My LFS has started selling them and i have read the info on their web site and it looks quiet good as an alternative to the Marine Pure Blocks which I was originally going to try for some additional Nitrate removal.

DaveK

I have not tried the product, but I do see some red flags here.

First, it's just another way to create a low water flow area in your tank. You can do that with a lot of other items that don't cost about $40.

Second, quite a few reviews on the online seller sites have said the block quickly falls apart.

Those two things would make me think twice about the product.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Ive read the same sort of reviews as well Dave but also some good ones

It looks like its creating a super size surface area to facilitate nitrate removal on the same basis as live rock from the write ups of it.

I was going to get the Marine Pure but then i read things about aluminium.

My LFS have started stocking the Brightwell stuff and have reported success with it but im always a bit weary and try to get a wider view hence the question.

My nitrates are around 10-16 but jumped to 16 so just looking into additional methods etc. It seemed to happen when i added a lump of filter wool to the sump which ive just taken back out as im thinking i may have created a nitrate factory even though i binned it every 7 days. May be coincidental but...

Everything is thriving but just keeping an close eye on nitrate levels and would prefer them around 5 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ive got their no3 cubes. So far as I know its same product for different aquarium size. I dont have any problem with them. Actually my no3 decrease from 5 to 0.25

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I think they are same product but just in different shape

I think I'm going to give them a try in 'brick' formation or shall I go for the Marine Pure that I had in mind first ? Mhmm

Last edited:

DaveK

Personally, I'd opt for none of the above, since just about any porous material will work for nitrate reduction. Many have just used a sponge. In fact the original berlin sumps often used a sponge for nitrate reduction.

If nothing else I'd try something else less expensive first, to see if it's got any effect. If you get results, then consider a brick.