New to the forum

Jax

Been out of the Salt water game for about 2 years & got that itch to get back in!
Previous tanks:
55 gal show tank.
14 gal bio cube.
Last week I found a great deal on a stock, used, up & running 34 gal RSM 130.
Tank does have some scratches across the front witch is a shame but stand and all other parts are in great shape. Took all the water out and brought her home and filled her back up. She has been running for a week now with about 10-15lbs of live rock and all levels are spot on.
This weekend I plan on getting buying some more live rock and really start on my scaping.
As far as the media in the rear of the tank the previous owner has ONLY filter sponge placed all the way up on both chambers surrounding the skimmer. No bio media or active carbon in the tank. Should I keep it like this or add? I plan on having live rock, soft corals & fish in my tank.
Welp that about sums up my first thread. I hope to learn and grow full of knowledge regarding my first RSM.
Cheers!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DaveK

...As far as the media in the rear of the tank the previous owner has ONLY filter sponge placed all the way up on both chambers surrounding the skimmer. No bio media or active carbon in the tank. Should I keep it like this or add? ...

Since you have some live rock, and are adding additional live rock, there is no need for any additional biological filtration. In fact, adding bio-media to a system that has a decent amount of live rock can actually be counter productive. Bio-media tends to be come a dirt trap and then a nitrate factory.

Carbon and other chemical media can be used, but I recommend you use them only when you actually need them for something. Many systems don't require the use of carbon at all.

I recommend you leave these things alone unless you have a specific reason for using bio-media or carbon.

Reactions: Jax