Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Fireshrimp1968

Ok cool!! I do very much like the idea of hiding things away from sight, the one thing I hated the most with the last tank was the small sump and everything being in the way every time I needed to change even the simplest of things like filter floss, those days are long gone now though!!

SPR

Hi all!

I'm going to do a bit of an update and summary of what's happened so far as the tank is officially 1 year old! And in a year I've created a living reef and it's frankly quiet amazing.

I can honestly say I feel like I am at one with the tank. This is something I can't really explain but it's true and I can tell with any sound that's something's not right.

Many thanks for everyone who has helped me and been watching and also all you 'lurkers' in the background lol!!

Current parameter:

I'm currently aiming for Red Sea Enhanced Colouration and have dropped from accelerated growth about 6-8 weeks ago (12.6 dKH Alk etc)

Phosphate. 0-0.03
NItrate. Around 10 but trying to get to around 5ppm - hair algea killed off which I think is reason
Salinity. 35ppm
Ph - 8.2 never changes
Alk. 8-8.5dkh
Ca 430ppm
Mg 1380-1400 - don't dose as always high!

Have used Red Sea Coral Pro salt for most of the year, and now changing to the standard Red Sea Salt and under full dosing and lower parameters.
Dose colour colours around every 3 days
Dose Red Sea Reef Energy A & B every day at around 30-40ml total
Currently running NoPox, Rhowaphos and a bag of Purigen under experiment!

Anyway I know you all like pictures so here goes!

Landed in the Maldives 2016 which is what started my Marine adventure - despite the fear of diving and not being the apex predator!

IMG_0074.JPG

So just before the water was added

IMG_2350.JPG

And now full!

IMG_2353.JPG

And clearing

IMG_2355.JPG

The ooh it's looking very empty and I best go and get more fish and corals stage!!

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

The dirty back wall stage!

IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG

The clean back wall stage -much better!

IMG_0001.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

Continued..

Getting up to date

IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG

Oh and I've just been shopping for another 15 or so frags and some other bits of kit to fine tune my new 'chiller unit' so another update will follow!

Last edited:

Whitey1973

Said it before but I'll say it again..... stunning

What did you clean your back wall with ? I've been looking for a long handled scraper just for that job, it looks so much better clean, add depth imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

mr_tap_water

Have to give yourself a pat on the back for what you've done in a year [emoji846][emoji106]
If you're buying frags it might be wise to lay off the SPSs for awhile if you're changing down to the standard red Sea salt as there is quite a big difference in stats and may be enough to upset the
SPSs.

Last edited:

SPR

Have to give yourself a pat on the back for what you've done in a year [emoji846][emoji106]
If you're buying frags it might be wise to lay off the SPSs for awhile if you're changing down to the standard red Sea salt as there is quite a big difference in status and may be enough to upset the
SPSs.

Thanks for that.

Yes, the SPS is a trial because of the nitrate level but if you've read 'Tank Of the masters' elsewhere R2R, their nitrates are well above mine, and I have some SPS already which since I sorted the phosphate are doing well. The ones before I sorted phosphate seem dead! It's a bit of a trial hence frags.

I'm trying SPS as I'm now at the lower foundation elements and nutrients so will see what happens.

mr_tap_water

What I mean is because The stats are lower on the standard Red Sea so as you change it over The stats will start to drop and may upset the SPSs.

SPR

Said it before but I'll say it again..... stunning

What did you clean your back wall with ? I've been looking for a long handled scraper just for that job, it looks so much better clean, add depth imo

Thanks for the comments. Yes its adds much depth. I only clean every few weeks when it gets bubbles on it.

I've got various gadgets! You want long handled.

This is the best but you can also get of eBay's if you search. It has razor blades on it. I got a few and also have shorter versions for the sump etc
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DW2WHD0/

SPR

What I mean is because The stats are lower on the standard Red Sea so as you change it over The stats will start to drop and may upset the SPSs.

Yep I agree. But i don't currently have many SPS in the tank at all. Only a few. And the transition is very slow infact I'm still using 50% Coral Pro salt with the standard salt during the transition and then monitoring the foundation elements as we go. Mainly to use up the bucket of Coral Pro I still have.

Actually the transition is finished because I'm at the lower reef foundation element levels now and all of the corals are much better.

I'm trying SPS again because the ones I have alive are doing very well. The ones that did not do well were the ones when my phosphates where high at around 1.6ppm during accelerated growth parameters. This is why I have stayed away from SPS until now.

Apart from slightly elevated Nitrate (but not compared with the tanks of the masters) my elements in theory should be good to go and hence the purchase of some SPS frags! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

SPR

I happened to have some time on my hands today so decided I might just call around at my LFS (whilst waiting delivery of my frags this Thursday!) and I happen to see a few things that's seemed rather nice! So you can guess what happened next!

I got me 5 beautiful Anthias and a wrasse that's yellow!

So say hello to my new little friends!

I also purchased an Elegance Coral which is absolutely stunning. It's still coming out after adding to tank and is at the middle front but I'll take a better photo when it's fully out

IMG_0755.JPGIMG_0745.JPGIMG_0763.JPGIMG_0760.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whitey1973

I've got tomorrow off so plan on driving to Cambridge Coral Tech!! I'm going to need a big bucket again[emoji23]

Nobbygas

You'll like the Anthias. I find mine swim in the upper part of the tank, and this has the effect of 'calming' all the other fish. If fish have other fish swimming above them, it usually means that there are no predators about, and so fish that might have been a bit shy will come out to play more.

Whitey1973

Looking good, I'm going to wait for my tank to settle down for a month or so and give mail order corals a try loving the pics