Nobby's S-650

Whitey1973

Sorry .... what is your temp set at? I meant if your temp is set at 27 then it will rise regardless of your ambient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitey1973

You will get some heat from the lights and the pumps in the system, remember you have 4 recirculating pumps, 1 return pump plus what ever other pumps you are running for reactors? Skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I am aware of the heat given out from the various pumps. I can't get my head around the fact that if the Ambient Room Temperature is stable at 24 degrees, then why does the water temperature rise from 27 to 27.9 degrees? This doesn't happen during the 'cooler' months.
I have the Chiller set at 27 degrees, with a one degree 'threshold'.

SPR

I think it's because you have 4 banks of Hydra 26 LED's pointing straight down at the water about 6 inches above it for 10 hours a day!

If you put your hand under them you will feel the heat they give out.

Even if my room temperature is around 19-20c the tank water temp is still 25-26.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

So why do I NOT get the same temperature fluctuations in the 'colder' months?

Anyway, it's not causing me major issues. It's more a case of wanting to understand what is going on.

SPR

I don't know unless it's because in the colder months the ambient temperature is lower so the heat from the tank is absorbed more by the surroundings so it doesn't go up as much.

In the summer the air has more moisture, and less in winter so the water will evaporate easier in winter and therefore provide more cooling effect.

I have a hot tub and seem to remember this when I first set it up years ago. I had to add more water in the winter months through evaporation.

I think this is the reason although I'm not a thermal dynamicist!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I think you are right and it can depend on the level of humidity. High humidity means less evaporation and maybe more heat retention?
Where's that Einstein bloke when you need him eh?

Yesterday and today the outside temperature reached 37 degrees. The Chiller kicks in around 5pm as it takes all day to rise from 27 to 28 degrees in the tank.
I'm impressed with the Teco. It is very very quiet when it is operating, so much so that She Who Casts No Shadow doesn't even know I've connected it up ! I'll put some piccies up tomorrow.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Some photos..............The first is a shot of the Chiller compartment. You can see the Teco TK 100 sat on the bottom. Sat just in front is a cut-down version of the simple shelf unit upon which sits the Doser. On the right are still the Triton bottles, with the tubing running from the bottles, via the Doser and back up and out the front little hole to the Sump compartment.
Chill1.jpg
This a shot of the back of the Chiller compartment. I had to modify my plastic magnetically fixed panel to incorporate the 'exhaust panel' that is supplied with the Chiller. This is connected directly to the Chiller output, so that the warm air that is expelled doesn't just circulate around the Chiller compartment because this wold have a detrimental effect on the Chiller and it wouldn't operate efficiently.
Chill2.jpg
This is why I have spent so much time and effort in making the back of the Chiller compartment look tidy. As you can see from the room layout, the back of the tank is open to view. So a mass of wires hanging down the back was a no-no as far as She Who Casts No Shadow was concerned.
Chill3.jpg
and finally, a full tank shot. Apologies for the blue colour but it was all I can manage with my Samsung S5! I need to adjust the doors slightly.
Chill4.jpg

SPR

Very nice! I have the tangle of wires everywhere at the back but fortunately it's all hidden!

Nice engineering Nobby!

Nobbygas

Blimey, what happened there? The board was down for a few days, plus Red Sea have 'disappeared' from the other place......Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Latest news:-
My original Cleaner Wrasse jumped a few weeks ago. In the meantime, without a Cleaner Wrasse, my Six Line Wrasse had developed a lump on the right flank of it's body. The lump seemed to be getting bigger and bigger............So, I got a new Cleaner Wrasse, and within a day, the lump had disappeared from the Six Line leaving just a mark, and even that has now gone. Was it the Cleaner Wrasse who performed this tidy up on the Six Line? I suppose I'll never really know. I do know that I've seen Cleaner Wrasse practically every where I have dived. To me they are an essential part of the living tank in that they perform a fantastic job. Not a good looking fish, but an essential element in the overall living world we are trying to create. Every tank should have one.....In my opinion.

Now, last Monday evening, Mini Me MKII shouted out from the Living Room, "Dad, it's the Blue fish! Come quick!". So I ran in to find that the new Cleaner Wrasse had also jumped. How long he had been on the floor I don't know. I picked him up and dropped him straight into the tank, where he promptly just sank to the bottom. I thought he was a goner. However, I could see that he was still breathing......and after about three or four minutes, he suddenly gave off a couple of twitches, and started swimming around again. He now looks fine and doesn't seem to have any problems! A lucky escape.

New additions to the tank.......Only a Red Anemone. It was interesting to place it where I thought it would be happy, only to see over the next few hours it totally disappeared into the rock. This morning it has reappeared in a different place. It obviously knows where it would rather be than I do ! Who am I to argue. I've always wanted an Anemone, so it's good to get it now while I still have very few corals, as it is then free to find it's own spot without causing much damage to other corals while it wanders.

I've also ordered a Blue Tang from the LFS, which should arrive next week.

I've given up on the Salifert Phosphate test kit. It's useless, so I'm now trying the NYOS Phos test, and straight away I can detect a reading, whereas the Salifert test always produced a big fat lonely '0'.

SPR

Red Sea I think have pulled out of watching forums and as you say have gone completely from RC. I assume because they arn't sponsors anymore.

I used the Red Sea Phosphate Pro for ages, but now I use the Hanna digital test kits for both phosphate and alkalinity.

They are about £60 each but once you have got them they are very easy to use and its a digital read out so your in no doubt what the reading is and they are reasonable accurate +/- 0.04 etc. The refills arnt that expense either. If you get one make sure you get the alkalinity dKH version as there are 2.

Don't bother with the Calcium Hanna - as soon as I opened the box and saw the contents, it went back in the box and back to the shop!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Red Sea I think have pulled out of watching forums and as you say have gone completely from RC. I assume because they arn't sponsors anymore.

I used the Red Sea Phosphate Pro for ages, but now I use the Hanna digital test kits for both phosphate and alkalinity.

They are about £60 each but once you have got them they are very easy to use and its a digital read out so your in no doubt what the reading is and they are reasonable accurate +/- 0.4 etc. The refills arnt that expense either. If you get one make sure you get the alkalinity dKH version as there are 2.

Don't bother with the Calcium Hanna - as soon as I opened the box and saw the contents, it went back in the box and back to the shop!
I've often wondered about the Hanna digital kits. If you say they're good, then that's good enough for me ! Two things I actually hate about this hobby are water changes and testing ! I only do water changes if there is a problem that needs fixing that way, but the testing can drive me to tears. If there is an easier way of doing it, then that's the way I will go !
My dream device is something that just needs a probe in the water somewhere (the Sump) that automatically measures the stuff we test for, with the results on an electronic display. I'd happily pay a thousand quid for such a device.

Nobbygas

Sun Coral news........I'm afraid it's going downhill. I've spot fed it religiously. Sometimes with Mysis, other times with Reefroids, as well as using Red Sea Reef Energy A+B, but it is just not responding. I have it situated under a shelf so it is not directly under the lights. Some people say to place it in a plastic bowl so it will have time to grab the food, but the truth is that I don't want to be in a situation where I have to pick it up, place it in a bowl, feed it, and then put it back again. That is more effort than I am prepared to make.
A lovely coral, and not expensive either, but it's just not going to make it.

SPR

I've often wondered about the Hanna digital kits. If you say they're good, then that's good enough for me ! Two things I actually hate about this hobby are water changes and testing ! I only do water changes if there is a problem that needs fixing that way, but the testing can drive me to tears. If there is an easier way of doing it, then that's the way I will go !
My dream device is something that just needs a probe in the water somewhere (the Sump) that automatically measures the stuff we test for, with the results on an electronic display. I'd happily pay a thousand quid for such a device.

Yes some of the Hanna's are very good - the alkalinity is easy, you just need to keep the test viles spotless and hold them with a clean cloth not your fingers and quick rinse with RO after.

The fact they have digital readings means your in no doubt as to colour change etc

Water changes - I don't mind really and my 2 buckets out and 2 buckets in is very easy. You could even do 1 bucket and then you don't even need to turn off the main pump as the water level will remain high enough.

Sun Coral - I had one for a short time.... say no more......

Look up:
https://www.mindstreamh2o.com/

You may however wet yourself when you see this Nobby!

Nobbygas

I almost wet myself...but not quite (I am in work!). It doesn't monitor the important stuff....Mag or Phos! It monitors some, but not all of the stuff we need. I also think they've been promising this for a couple of years but they haven't actually produced a working device yet, but it's one to keep an eye on that's for sure.
It actually looks as though it is designed for a freshwater tank.......but at least it's heading in the right direction.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Blimey, what happened there? The board was down for a few days,

Sorry about that.... - the host company had problems... Travis the owner of RS was advised we could only read post, but no one could make post, took them a bit to sort.

Nobbygas

Question: Since I started using Red Sea Reef Energy A+B I have to clean the glass everyday, as it leaves a dusty coating on the inside. Does anyone else get this using A+B?