My new 500max led build

Whitey1973

SPR.... when you say your reactor clogs up with debris from the sump, are you using a separate pump? I run mine from the spare hose tail and valve on the return pipe work and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Not now. After I ditched the c Skim I'm using the spare outlet on main pump to Deltec FR509 but I just found the debris kept clogging up the 'in' filter.

It's probably my fault for waiting for the filter socks to get to 'full' so the water/debris spills over, so I've started changing them more frequently at every 2/3 days. Just thought I try the wool as well as I've never used it.

Nobbygas

I don't feed anything from the Manifold. I have two Eheim Compact 300 pumps for the UV and Reactor, them a Compact 1000 for the Chiller. All three pumps sit in the 'main' compartment in the Sump.

Whitey1973

I need help with a big problem I have.... I finished work early and thought it would be rude not to pop in to my lfs, this is where the problem is, I can't go in without coming out with something [emoji23] brought home 4 lyretail anthias, 1 male and 3 female, and a male blue throat trigger!!!!
4cc146e5259bc06bb190b1bb576d08b6.jpg
d053763c6f3ed15234f39211e035133e.jpg
627c566398cb27e75a4bb4ca18f557ba.jpg

SPR

It's funny that. I had the same problem on Monday. Oh and also Thursday!!lol. It was raining so I thought, um I'll just get out of the rain and I know just the place. LFS!

Starting to look nice, and the good (or bad!)thing is, your problem is not going to go away because you have a vast void to fill with corals and fish!

I've got the same Anthias with the blue/purple eyes and they are stunning. In fact one of my purchases (yes there were several!!) was 2 more for my Anthias 'shoal' and they really are beautiful fish.

Last edited:

Whitey1973

I know tell me about it.... going to buy a nyos 160 and install it at the weekend, tried to make the cskim quite but can't cope with the constant humming it's got to go!!!

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Installing the NYOS is pretty easy........Just lift it into the sump, and job's done ! No tubing to connect to it. Just plug it in, and off you go. One thing I'll add is that in the information supplied with it, it tells you how to adjust the two 'screws' at the top of the two tubes at the back. One is a fine control for water, the other is the air intake control. The most important bit that they don't seem to mention is the long tube at the back (with the water fine tuning screw on top). You can turn this whole tube to adjust the level of the foam in the skimmer. Use this to get an approximate height for the foam, and the other two screws on the top are for fine tuning.
Oh, and when you put the NYOS together, go very easy when tightening up the screws. They don't have to be that tight, but too much pressure will crack the acrylic.

Nobbygas

It's funny that. I had the same problem on Monday. Oh and also Thursday!!lol. It was raining so I thought, um I'll just get out of the rain and I know just the place. LFS!

Starting to look nice, and the good (or bad!)thing is, your problem is not going to go away because you have a vast void to fill with corals and fish!

I've got the same Anthias with the blue/purple eyes and they are stunning. In fact one of my purchases (yes there were several!!) was 2 more for my Anthias 'shoal' and they really are beautiful fish.
The Anthias are pretty cool aren't they! Keep your eye out for a Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel.....the same size as a Fire or Coral Beauty, but a stunning fish.

Whitey1973

Thanks for the information on setting up nyos,, the anthias really finish it off, the male is stunning

Whitey1973

SPR.... what are you feeding your triggers on?? I've brought some chopped prawn, chopped squid and have heard clams are good?

SPR

+ 1 on the screws on the NYOS - I have a slight crack in the water diffuser bit were I got a little excited on tightness of screws and then 'crack' sh..!!

The NYOS is plug and play virtually, infact i don't bother with the fine tune screw as you can adjust by turning the main tube. You wont believe the difference from the C Skim.

And Nobby, I don't need any more encouragement to buy fish, especially a pretty little Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, which I just know I NEED TO HAVE ONE!! lol

I'm actually probably way over stocked to be honest and I'm surprised the 'fish police' haven't been onto me yet! lol

Nobbygas

+ 1 on the screws on the NYOS - I have a slight crack in the water diffuser bit were I got a little excited on tightness of screws and then 'crack' sh..!!

The NYOS is plug and play virtually, infact i don't bother with the fine tune screw as you can adjust by turning the main tube. You wont believe the difference from the C Skim.

And Nobby, I don't need any more encouragement to buy fish, especially a pretty little Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, which I just know I NEED TO HAVE ONE!! lol

I'm actually probably way over stocked to be honest and I'm surprised the 'fish police' haven't been onto me yet! lol
Yep, I very rarely use the fine tuning screws. I just turn the main tube a little.
Don't shout at me. You're to blame for me wanting a couple of Blue Throated Triggers !

PS - Just wait until you see a Lemon Peel in the flesh. Those beautiful blue eyes will look at you and you'll just have to take it home.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

SPR.... what are you feeding your triggers on?? I've brought some chopped prawn, chopped squid and have heard clams are good?

I mainly feed them frozen cubed food from the Gamma range and just vary them with about 6 varieties, MYSIS, brine shrimp with garlic etc whatever you fancy. I just drop 2 cubes in front of the main return nozzle and then off they go.

You can also use what you suggest and i have some mussels in the freezer that i drop in and they all just rip them to pieces in a frenzy so they will love what you suggest. I haven't tried prawns as I have some live prawns in the tank and don't want anyone getting an ideas!

I think you just have to be careful with the mussels etc., as I believe they can be a bit 'messy' as far as water quality is concerned.

I feed the tank with 2 frozen cubes around 1-2pm and then several pinches of pellets at around 4-5pm.

The pellets are a mix of vitalis, ocean nutrition and i mix different types/sizes and also Algea pellets into one pot and then drop them in.

SPR

PS - Just wait until you see a Lemon Peel in the flesh. Those beautiful blue eyes will look at you and you'll just have to take it home.

I think i actually saw one when I went the other day because I asked what it was and we had a discussion about it, and I made the decision (at the time!!! lol) that I would exercise restraint and be a responsible aquarist!

Whitey1973

I mainly feed them frozen cubed food from the Gamma range and just vary them with about 6 varieties, MYSIS, brine shrimp with garlic etc whatever you fancy. I just drop 2 cubes in front of the main return nozzle and then off they go.

You can also use what you suggest and i have some mussels in the freezer that i drop in and they all just rip them to pieces in a frenzy so they will love what you suggest. I haven't tried prawns as I have some live prawns in the tank and don't want anyone getting an ideas!

I think you just have to be careful with the mussels etc., as I believe they can be a bit 'messy' as far as water quality is concerned.

I feed the tank with 2 frozen cubes around 1-2pm and then several pinches of pellets at around 4-5pm.

The pellets are a mix of vitalis, ocean nutrition and i mix different types/sizes and also Algea pellets into one pot and then drop them in.
Thanks for that

Whitey1973

Another finish work and straight to the lfs.... I've made the plunge and brought the nyos 160 skimmer as we mentioned before.... what can I say, it is night and day from the cskim, how I won't be missing that drowning humming noise from the cabinet!!!! Everything about this skimmer is quality, apart from the very short power lead as SPR mentioned, this I will be extending at some point, apart from that I love it it's just a shame it's not on show, I've only just thrown it in the sump for now, I'm going to have a Saturday tidying cables and pipe work up
7cec9c205c48f9ac95d208a596295374.jpg

SPR

We told ya! Lol

I 'lubricate' mine with some food grade silicone (eBay) around the outside of the joint were the top cup fits in. Makes it smooth as silk to get on and off.

I just got an extentsion lead in the end for the skimmer which hangs down the back with the rest of the wires.

Whitey1973

Question for you my nitrates are at zero I've been adding only 5ml of Nopx daily,should I continue with this dosing?