HELP! Leather Finger black muck

Kermit13sg

Hi, can anyone help me please. This was introduced into my tank a few days back and it was all nice and erected, but just yesterday it decided to flop over and suddenly black muck started appearing. I tried rubbing it off and they actually did along with lots of slimy stuff... what should I do? It was originally at bottom of tank with moderate flow and light but I have raised it to a level with stronger flow and light..

8ee8970a45bec57dcffa5931daad5f0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frisbee

Black developing on a soft coral is sometimes related to Necrosis, so you might want to do some research and see what you can find. I know cutting off the infected areas is sometimes recommended, but it doesn't look like your coral is too bad yet. GL.

frisbee

No it's not dead, just extremely upset at the moment and possibly sick. You'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

frisbee

You could try, but you'll just upset the coral more and if that is in fact Necrosis it will come right back. Leather corals can be very temperamental sometimes, so IMO the best thing to do is just leave it alone for a day or two and see what happens.

Last edited:

Kermit13sg

You could try, but you'll just upset the coral more and if that is in fact Necorsis it will come right back. Leather corals can be very temperamental sometimes, so IMO the best thing to do is just leave it alone for a day or two and see what happens.

Ok, will heed your advice and do nothing for now. Thank you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

You need to keep in mind that to grow, leather corals will contract and shed "skin" and other material. They can also do this if they are dying.

To see what you have, give the coral the "smell test". Remove it from the tank and smell it. A healthy coral will smell bad, a dying one will smell really rank and foul. If you have a dying one, frag off the good parts and attach them to other live rock pieces. The toothpick method is usually the best way to do it.

If the coral is good, just leave it alone. Soft corals sometimes deflate just because they are a little unhappy, and often occurs after they are moved. In that case, just keep an eye on it.