HELP! Which salt

Whitey1973

Hi all, I have a question on what salt to use, I currently use Red Sea coral pro salt and have been pleased with it but I plan on making a salt water mixing station and have a auto water change facility, Red Sea do not advise mixing coral pro for longer than two hours, or storing it prepared in advance, are there good salts out there that can be kept mixed up for a period of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_tap_water

I've found that D&D H20+ is easy going and can leave for lengths of time.

SPR

Hi all, I have a question on what salt to use, I currently use Red Sea coral pro salt and have been pleased with it but I plan on making a salt water mixing station and have a auto water change facility, Red Sea do not advise mixing coral pro for longer than two hours, or storing it prepared in advance, are there good salts out there that can be kept mixed up for a period of time?

So out of interest how are you going to set up the auto water change system and what are you going to use ?

On the salt I have mixed for more than 2 hours without I'll effect but I have read in the instructions what you say and generally do mine for 30 minutes or so. In theory what's the difference between being mixed in a bucket and being put into the tank were it's still being mixed by being pumped around ?

Maybe just try it overnight if your happy with the salt and see what happens ? Nothing happened when I tried it but....

Whitey1973

I was planning on using a dosing system, use a apex system to run auto water change at night between certain hours, one dosing pump taking a set amount out of the sump to waste, and the other dosing pre mixed salt water back in.... I will vac the sand bed still but syphon into the filter socks in the sump collect all the rubbish and then change

ReefDudes

I have only ever used reef crystals. I store mine in a 35g Brute. No issues other than that lovey bit of brown you get in the bottom of the storage container over time

DaveK

The only issue I have seen with premixing salt is that some salts after a day or so will look slightly cloudy because some of the various salts have precipitated out. This can be unsightly but doesn't really cause any problems.

Also, what difference does it make if the mixed SW is in your tank or is in another container?

I would say that unless you have a specific issue with your current salt, go ahead and use it.