Omg what have I done

Sharkbite73

Hey All
I've taken the plunge in to Marine by buying a Red Sea e260. I know what components I need to get it all going, but not sure about adding live rock to the rear sump.

I've been watching a lot of the BRS Channel on Youtube, and have a few books, but don't feel any easier about stepping in to this.

Please any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

SPR

Hi and welcome!!

I wouldn't put any live rock in the sump of the Max E 260. it's not really big enough and very tight in there with just the stock equipment it comes with. Infact I don't know anywhere it would fit other than the media rack. I had one before getting the 650.

Just add the live rock to the main tank and forget the sump at the back??

On tips, if your getting corals read up on the Red Sea Reef Care Program. It will give you a base knowledge upon which to learn and you can follow their 4 different stages of care. And then read, read read everything factual you can.

SPR

Just another bit of advice I learned the hard way.

Make sure you keep your nitrates and phosphate levels within the correct parameters from day one, or from when your tank is cycled, with either a dead shrimp (im not even going there !lol) or another modern way which I used.

I knew nothing about these when I started out so didn't check at all, and I had cyno problems and also sorts of algea issues in my E 260 which was my first ever tank of any kind and I had for around 3 months. I then learned, and if you keep these in check you will stand a better chance of a good start.

As to what are correct levels. Well you will have an infinite number of answers to that one! I keep mine at 0.03 aprox for phosphate and around or less than 5ppm for Nitrate for what it's worth. These are of course within the error margins for the test kits so are there or thereabouts.

So go get yourself a good quality Nitrate and phosphate test kit and start testing at least once a week. And then learn how you are going to control these levels. I use Red Sea NoPox and thats were I would start with your set up, and then you can add other control measures as required.

Last edited:

Sharkbite73

Hi mate welcome I have just got my Red Sea e max 260 up and running larst Saturday I'm well happy with it good luck
Hey Terry
As you can tell from my previous posts, my plan isn't going to work with the 260. Can you please point me at setting up one of these tanks, either links or just in brief.

SPR

Hey Terry
As you can tell from my previous posts, my plan isn't going to work with the 260. Can you please point me at setting up one of these tanks, either links or just in brief.

Is the tank new with all components, or is it just a tank with nothing in it, and/or what do you need to know??

We can help you setting up if you tell us were you are with it ? I've had the 260.

Sharkbite73

I got the tank from the lfs today, opened the cabinet to build it and one of the struts is missing. So back to the ship tomorrow.

I was concerted about live rock vs Red Sea rock. I've got all the components other than the RO water, just need to get it all together.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

SPR

I got the tank from the lfs today, opened the cabinet to build it and one of the struts is missing. So back to the ship tomorrow.

I was concerted about live rock vs Red Sea rock. I've got all the components other than the RO water, just need to get it all together.

I'd probably get yourself a RODI maker as there not expensive in comparison to the hobby in general and once you have one your sorted as far as the water making is concerned. I've got mine connected to a hose outside so no plumbing etc.

I got mine from Osmotics and you want the one with DI really. I've got 100gpd but they don't make it very fast so don't take any notice of that. Mine takes around 5-6 hours to fill a 30 litre bucket and I have 12 buckets in store ready. I just like to, it makes me content!

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/categories/Reverse-Osmosis-Systems/100-US-Gallon-(380-Ltr)-per-Day/

saintsreturn

Remember to take it slow and do it right. As questions along the way and post pictures. Lots of them. People here want eye candy and can offer a lot of advice as you go. Speaking of which get your own RODI system. Lots of good reason for this. Good test kit you are comfortable with. Lots of opinions out there, but get one your comfortable with and run lots of test to see how it goes. And a lesson from my page, get rid of any live rock outside of the display. I did use it in the sump and it looked great. And then it caused a lot of heart ache for me. Good luck and congrats on the system

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sharkbite73

Thanks Saints
Thanks for tha advice I went with red reef rock in the end. I added my first fish today, a pair of tiny tank bred Clownfish, after my local shop said clean up crews won't start the cycle as well as 2 fish.

saintsreturn

Thanks Saints
Thanks for tha advice I went with red reef rock in the end. I added my first fish today, a pair of tiny tank bred Clownfish, after my local shop said clean up crews won't start the cycle as well as 2 fish.
This makes me nervous, but tank starts always do. I have seen success in multiple applications but I stand by the rule of not adding fish before the cycle finishes or using cheap damsels since they are hardy and cheap. Do not get attached in case they do not make it through the cycle. But my clown is the only OG from when I started in the hobby and he has lived through six moves. Never know

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sharkbite73

Yeah you and me both. I was taking pigeon steps and a guy from Maidenhead aquatic suggested the clowns. They guaranteed they would be ok. I'm kind of convinced with 2 x 1 inch fish in 260l of water, but still bricking it.

As long as I'm up 3 times a night checking my levels I can't see an issue.
IMG_4163.JPG

Farmacy

The strut you are talking about is located under the actual tank. I had the same problem as I purchased the Tank kit on ebay and the stand direct from Red Sea.