Susan's RMS Max C250

Susanedw

I just did a stupid newbie mistake. I was dosing peroxide 1 ml per gal a day and just read its 1 ml per 10. I dosed 30 and 40 ml for a 66 gal (53) this week for 3 days.... Noticed my anthias have some black smudges on them. Read they are caused by amonia burns but my amonia is 0. Googled peroxide as that is the only other thing I've done, and I think that is the problem. The black is scabs where the burns are healing. No more for a few days.... Feel real stupid... Everything else looks okay, even the algae....

Added a bit more saltwater and some freshwater to get a bit more water volume. At the rate of my evaporation the sump will be back at normal by tonight (I have 3 fans blowing across water in sump and 2 across main tank as no chiller)

Can't believe I got that wrong. And the duncan and colts and even the elegance actually looks super good, better than normal!!

SPR

I was just wondering why you decided to dose peroxide when your also using Vibrant and other things ?

I would really just try and get your Nitrate and phosphates in check, if they aren't already, as a priority.
Once they are stable and 'low', and you have learned how to keep them low with whatever controls you are using, that will be the source of your algea problem sorted.

Then you can clean up the algea with Vibrant if that's what your using.

PS If I had done that I would do a 'large' water change as well but others may be able to comment on peroxide and how long it stays in the tank.

Susanedw

@SPR I saw others also doing so with the vibrant. No more! I'm doing both nopox and vibrant to control and get rid of the algae/lower nitrates. My tank went through another cycle when my sea cuc crawled under a rock and died. I had no way to find him without removing all the rocks which some are cemented together. The ammonia and nitrites finally went to 0 but left nitrates high. Now I have 3 anthias that need feed several times a day so that isn't helping. And a sun coral with over 25 heads.

Nitrates are 40-80 and phos about 0.05

I'm assuming that as you dose peroxide every day it doesn't stay unlike vibrate which is weekly or biweekly. Everything seems good. I added some extra salt and fresh water to the tank. Might do that again today (salt water was a bit higher than normal, hence some fresh rodi as well) Going to try to remove more hair algae today

Susanedw

I have declared war on my big emerald crab. He's huge and he's insisting on climbing on and staying on my colt coral. I just nursed it and a smaller frag back to health and the large one doesn't not need him hanging on it and pulling it down. I keep chasing him off and he goes right back. He also likes the palys and will sit on them for hours.

So its exile for him. I'm just gonna grab the colt frag as it isn't epoxied down and dump it and him in a bowl of water then acclimatize him in the bowl and add him to the display refugium which is over grown with algae. Ugh! I have 3 others. I've seen the tiny one but not the two med. ones in a long time.

Ordered the red sea reef salt to try. I cannot keep cal/mg where they need to be using instant ocean. Nothing to lose trying it and may be I won't be spending as much on additives. I have the red sea ABC but can't start using until numbers are better (too expensive). Alk is doing better. Also need to order new lights as I'm a couple weeks away from the 6 mo mark (good god, 6 mo already!)

Planning to dose chemi clean to get cyano off coral frags and sand bed. I ahve lots of flow. Waiting to do water change now until I dose and get new salt just in case. I have a batch made but it's a bit light on salt so need some more. Also need to dose the new display refugium. Sometime after the first week in June, I have someone who is going to plumb the two tanks together for me. Very excited. and nervous!

All else seems good and well in the tank. Sun corals now open within 30 minutes of using a turkey baster and some coral food. I "wake" them before I feed the fish, and while fish are eating, start feeding them. They are really starting to extend and grow longer tentacles with the daily feeding. Very happy with them.

Gonipora on sandbed. The frag fell off the rockwork. He needs to be up off sand due to my sand sifter. Elegance really extending and happy on sand bed.

The one mistake I think I did in aquascaping was not leaving quite enough open sand areas. The area in front of the cavern is nice size but the sand sifter has his burrow there so that is constantly reworked and it's also where I put the rock with the seaweed stripes rubber banded for the tang.

Always something!

Susanedw

10 days away from 6 months! Whoo hoo. Need to find light replacements. Red Sea uses 34 inch. Harder to find.

Not too many mistakes and those I made didn't cost me livestock. Lost only a few in this time. A ywg who disappeared in my tank. He might be in the cavern with the pistol shrimp I've also not seen. I can hope. Lost my clove coral to too much gha. The latest ywg didn't make it. I think he had something wrong from the lfs as I never saw him eating. He wasted away in my refugium display tank. Bummed. I want one of those. Also lost one damsel within days of bringing it home. The new 3 damsels are fine from the beginning. Lost a sea cuc that crawled under rocks and died within days. 2 acros are pretty much gone. Too high nitrate. It climbed super high after I got them. Will wait to try them again.

All fish thriving, all coral thriving. Colts came back and are awesome, Duncan heads are fat and wavy and have a new head growing nicely, torch has a ton of new tentacles and is stretching even taller, Gonipora extended and happy, elegance wavy, sun corals really starting to grow out tentacles. Got the feeding down. I wait until lights off and they are open. GSP getting longer and nice and wavy, favia? Not sure. never see any polyps or tentacles, xenia now on my rocks... And polyps nice, even spreading onto rock. Zoas on the same frag might not have survived the algae. I keep pulling to see if they are there

Tang, sand sifting goby, scooter blenny, chromis (2), clowns (2), tri color blenny, barnacle blennies (2) are happy. Barnacles hide very well. The 3 anthias doing really well. Cut feeding to twice a day plus they "wake up" when I do the sun coral and get some extra. Really love them as they are all over the tank and in the water column. Constant motion and movement.

Display refugium is now home to my emerald crab-the huge one. put some of my macro in suction cup containers (for showers) . Need to put them in peroxide bath to kill the algae. Then I'll put them back in. If the crab eats them, I'll start over and rehome the crab if the lfs will take it back. Right now there is an overabundance of algae

Will be getting tanks plumbed soon I hope. Have someone who will give me a quote. Handyman who also has or had SW tanks and has done some builds. Excited for that. Have 3 damsels in that tank and except maybe trying a goby-shrimp pair, no other fish. Just cuc.

I'm sad that I'm done with fish, at least until tank is more mature. So many more I wanted :(. I think I can add a couple more barnacle blennies as they are so tiny they can't add too much to the system but are cute. Eventually, will add a mandarin or a ruby scooter. I have a canister filter on the refugium that I'll keep to add to the filtering and cleaning of tanks and help with the bio load. When the tanks are plumbed and copepods go in, I'll remove everything except bio media and rubble rock. No floss. Maybe just purigen and carbon--unless those kill copepods. Maybe half a tray of filter floss so some go thru and some can breed there? I figure the canister will be a good breeding area.

parameters getting better. Switched to Red Sea pro salt. 1 Water change so will see if it helps. Cost more, but so does mg/ca/alk, esp. the amts of mg I was dosing. Switching to RS ABC but was holding off until numbers got into more normal range (to be able to use less and save money on that stuff ) Today's numbers:
Mg: 1480 No dosing
CA: 400 dosed. Trying to get up to 420-440
Alk: 14.1 Not sure if the test kit is right. Not very happy with this brand.
NO3: down to 20

Still have too much algae--green hair. Partly bio load and heavier feeding due to anthias and sun coral. cut anthias down to twice a day from 3 times when I first got them to be sure they were getting enough food. Sun coral was also starved and responding nicely to daily feeding.

Using nopox daily, vibrant weekly, and started biodigest/bioptim which is every 15 days. Just did a chemi clean treatment to both tanks. Have tons of flow but still get cyano

longer post than I planned. But very happy and excited still. Love to just put my feet up on my desk and watch my tank. Better than TV even if it means less work gets done.
20170601_223435_resized_2.jpg 20170605_135437_resized_5.jpg 20170605_135450_resized_4.jpg 20170605_135505_resized_4.jpg 20170605_135428_resized_4.jpg 20170605_135515_resized_3.jpg 20170605_135947_resized_4.jpg 20170605_140017_resized_4.jpg 20170605_140127_resized_4.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I think they use the same 39 W bulbs... Kev from Red Sea or some other members with the C250 can confirm @RedSeaKev

http://www.redseafish.com/max-concept/max-c-series/max-c-250/
MAX-REEF-SPEC-DATA-250.png

Susanedw

I have babies! Trochus snails. Was pulling algae of the polyps and zoa frag and saw this little guy. One picture shows his size in relation to the polyp. Then I looked again at what looked like a bump on the rock. I touched it with my long tweezers and it started moving! Two babies. Had no idea they'd breed. The second one is about a quarter of the first one I spotted. Posting this on the main forum as well. Has anyone had baby Trochus snails?

Baby #1-the bigger of the 2
20170606_181007_resized.jpg Close up
20170606_181208_resized.jpg
Baby #1 on bottom of pic, baby #2 above
20170606_181641_resized.jpg

Susanedw

Bicolor blenny in corner of sandbed instead of inside a crevice on top pukani rock. Decided to test ammonia to be sure all was right. Test came out positive. But I'd also just fed the tank. Just in case I added some ammonia detoxifiers (stability and amquel) and added some rodi water after making sure my salinity was okay (so as to not dilute). Retook the amm. test and it is now 0. I know the amquel stuff will detoxify but your test will still show as having ammonia so I think it was using water right after feeding. Will retake test in morning. All the other fish and corals looking normal.

I did start using biodigest and bioptim over the weekend (still using nopox and vibrant) so not sure if that can do anything.

Who'd thought a fish tank could get your heart rate racing!

On a good note: found lots more baby trochus snails. Hope they get big so I can put some in the display refugium. Also noting some dark patches on rocks. I'd just treated with chemi clean last week (still have a couple stubborn spots). Tried to scrape the purple stuff to see if it was dried out cyano and nope. Looks like I have coraline starting. Rock has gone from lime green to dark and small purple patches all over.

Susanedw

My good news first: I have coraline spots on my rock! Do not want it on the back or my pumps. Might lose the fight on pumps...

Tank looks as though there are at least 4 sand sifters! Piles everywhere. Rocks with no sand beneath edges and huge piles all over. I might ahve a pistol shrimp, maybe even a ywg, but I've not seen them in months. Have seen signs of the shrimp molting--too small for the other two larger shrimps. So decided to smooth is all out except where I know the gold head's burrow is but even shifted sand there making sure he could still zip out.

So I got to work with my water change today but did things a bit differently. Instead of taking out 8 gal approx of water and then cleaning glass inside and pulling algae (which leaves tank cloudy for a long time), , I did that bit first. That way much of the debris could be skimmed out before I shut all the pumps down and removed water. I spent a lot more more time pulling algae and scraping it from the sand bed with my fingers near the bottoms of rocks. Also took a toothbrush and brushed glass below sand bed and used it to stir all the sand bed that I could access, going down until I hit bottom. Sand bed is nice and white right now. Normally I use the turkey baster. I'll hit the front with it as needed to keep it clean.
Found this worked well. I'm going to change some tank maintenance stragedies Some of my corals are still pouting with my major work in tank

Water Changes

I did approx 9 gal wc today which with 53ish gal of water is a decent amt. Rather than wait a week for the next with my nutrient excess issues, I'm going to on Wed, Frid, and Sunday remove 2-4 pitchers of water and replace same. I'm using the red sea reef pro and the numbers are higher for ca/mg/alk. I'll test in the am to be sure of my numbers and maybe wait until Thur and not dose until I see how things are on thur. Right now (12 am) with no dosing today I'm at 1480/480/No alk test kit, ran out. NO3 is 20, sm amt of ammonia so will add prime (detoxifies it but will still show in tests) I'll see if this will help deal with excess nutrients and will also pull more algae. Also will see how much the mg drops as it usually drops about 80 per day

Feeding
Have been feeding 2x's day for the anthias and feeding a large colony of sun corals. This week, the suns haven't opened for the morning feeding but are open a bit after the night feeding. They open approx 30 min after I feed tank at 8pm. Found I wasn't getting back in to shut things off to feed them (busy feeding myself!) and found they were still open at 11-1130 so I fed then. All the fish are bedded down but anthias and tang still active (office lights are on).

So I tried skipping the 8pm feeding and feeding around 11-12 a tiny bit to the anthias, wait a few minutes, then shut off pumps and feed the suns. Fish leave the suns alone and the anthias get their second feeding and I don't have to feed everyone.

We shall see if this works. And I see a large pile of sand where my sweet lil' goby cleared out his burrow....

Susanedw

Did about a 6 qt water change, or 3 gal in my experiment. Didn't dose today as numbers were all on the higher side. Will see what they are tomorrow. If still in the high range, I'll skip Friday.

Did a water change on Monday and no dosing on Monday or Tuesday. Here are Tue and Wed. numbers
mg 11480/1560
ca 430/440
waiting on new alk test kit--first hanna
No3 20/40

Will test tomorrow to see how the small water change after the larger one affects the numbers.

Whitey1973

I found this a while ago showing typical values of different salt mixes
6a4726154369a057afb445e9d31227d5.png

I'm using redsea coral pro salt at the minute and with my current low coral stocking levels water changes are more than good enough for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk