HELP! New max s500 led

Whitey1973

Hi all, I'm new to RS.... I've been back into reef keeping for 6 months after a 15 year lay off, I started again with a rsm 130d and have the bug back BIG style!!! I've just ordered a rsm s500 led and can't wait for it to arrive, my first question to you all, and this will be one of many[emoji23] is what is everyone running in there sump filtration wise... ideas welcome please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Hi Whitey and welcome!

In my sump I have changed the c Skim to NYOS 160 skimmer. There is no comparison at all, but the c Skim does its job.

I also have a Deltec fr509 reactor running Rhowaphos for phosphate and I also use NoPox.

I also have a UV-C 36w JBL (rocket launcher!)

I started out with the standard package and then just upgraded things as my obsession grew! Lol

The tanks are stunning so you won't be disappointed.

Whitey1973

Thanks for that... would you run any filter floss or sponge in the sumo??

Nobbygas

I also swapped the C-Skim for a NYOS 160.
I run a D-D FMR75 Reactor with Rhowaphos.
I have Activated Carbon bags and a 8x8x4 Marine Pure Block.
I also put some filter floss in the socks to help the mechanical filtration.
I have a small 36W UV from Jebao.

Welcome aboard !

SPR

Thanks for that... would you run any filter floss or sponge in the sumo??

It's up to you really but you shouldn't need anything like that. It's just something more to clean/change out.

You will get 2 filters socks in the downpipe return section anyway and the return pump sits on a sponge. I use the 225 mesh filter socks as they are easy to clean with hosepipe. I also have some 100 mesh but they need changing every 2 days so I don't use them very often.

But just remember it's 'your' tank so you can do whatever you want with it.

I do get some detris in the sump area but I just clean this out once a month as part of a water change using a Python water changer. I change around 100-120 litres when doing this or 4 home brew buckets worth.

I also run carbon etc in the sump