Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Fireshrimp1968

Hi Shaun,your tank is looking awesome fella, I'm still cycling dead rock for my Rsm 650 and itching to get going with it, the levels are really going down though with water changes and my trusty Seachem water conditioning product!! So hopefully at the end of this week I can build my scape. Patience.... who the hell invented that word!! Lol

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Thanks Fireshrimp. What does patience mean!lol.

Just another bit of an update, I dosed around 12ml of Vibrant liquid to the tank around 12 days ago.

Now my green/brown hair algea has been under control since I added Rhowaphos and phosphate are very low so all good, but something, and I'm guessing it's the Vibrant, seems to have finished the rest of the stubborn algea off. It's been dropping off and the skimmate has been green all this week

I have to say, although I keep the tank in good order all the time, under the lights it looks absolutely stunning. They say on the label don't let it fool you and keep up good maintenance and I can probably see why.

Anyway I've made another video which is hopefully a bit better than my last attempt so enjoy......

Fireshrimp1968

I really like it Shaun, no additional power heads that I saw either!! Which answers a question I had rolling around my head as I saw some 650s on you tube with MP 40s and the like stuck on the sides of the tank, seems the 4 power heads supplied are more than ample for most reefscapes that people could create.

SPR

I really like it Shaun, no additional power heads that I saw either!! Which answers a question I had rolling around my head as I saw some 650s on you tube with MP 40s and the like stuck on the sides of the tank, seems the 4 power heads supplied are more than ample for most reefscapes that people could create.

Yes you don't need any additional flow. The main pump and 4 rear circulation pumps are fine as they are. I suppose if you wanted more flow you could buy more powerful rear pumps but I don't think its needed. Its all been designed by Red Sea and does a great job 'out of the box'.

On my tank if it cant be hidden somewhere it doesn't go in - they are a piece of furniture/art.

Nobbygas

I agree with Shaun. One of the main reasons I bought a S-650 was to have a piece of furniture in the living room. I didn't want powerheads with cables running down the side of the tank. The clean look is very important.

Fireshrimp1968

Well said both of you, hello nobbygas!! I read your thread with great interest when I first subscribed to Reef Sanctuary and then Shaun's thread right on the back of yours, I love the whole step by step route that both of you have chosen to post here, when I first started marine Fishkeeping my tank was an Aqua Reef 300 which I loved but made loads of mistakes on as I learnt sometimes the hard way what was right and what went wrong!! All a great rather long learning curve which I'm glad to say has brought me here with a proper big tank that now graces my lounge floor currently empty as I'm still cycling rock in an old plastic domestic water tank, no ammonia now but still a little nitrate, so will give it another week, my fish transferred from my old Aquareef which is now sold are waiting patiently in a 180 litre qt tank that I set up while I got everything ready for the RSM 650, dunno if I'm looking forward to the estimated 2 day mixing of salted RO water to get this beast filled up but the end result will make it worth it I'm sure!! :celebrate:

SPR

Well over here in England we are having a bit of a heat wave so ive had to install a chiller unit!

Works a treat. I tested it yesterday and it drops the temperature by around 0.1'C every 25 minutes or so. I might contact NASA to see if they require my engineering prowess!

IMG_0728.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitey1973

Aahhh you did go for the fan in the end!! As I said I did the same though my temp controller, and as predicted the English weather has cooled off, this was the reason I didn't want to spend £600 on a chiller for 2 weeks of hot weather, it's not the long term look I'm after but it done the job..... nice engineering SPR [emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Shaun, did you look into getting a Chiller? It looks as though the Teco 500 is slightly underpowered. I've done some price checking in Germany and I can get the 500 for 489 quid, or the 1000 for 565 quid, which sounds pretty reasonable.
I think I have to go down to chiller route as this last weekend the temperature was 35 degrees in Central Germany, and the tank temp has already risen to 28.5, which is above the 28 limit I have set on the Controller, so the alarm is going off all the time. Normally it sits pretty well at around 27 degrees. I have to reset the limit to stop the alarm, however, this is the very first warm weekend and already I can see the temp rising significantly.

SPR

Shaun, did you look into getting a Chiller? It looks as though the Teco 500 is slightly underpowered. I've done some price checking in Germany and I can get the 500 for 489 quid, or the 1000 for 565 quid, which sounds pretty reasonable.
I think I have to go down to chiller route as this last weekend the temperature was 35 degrees in Central Germany, and the tank temp has already risen to 28.5, which is above the 28 limit I have set on the Controller, so the alarm is going off all the time. Normally it sits pretty well at around 27 degrees. I have to reset the limit to stop the alarm, however, this is the very first warm weekend and already I can see the temp rising significantly.

I did look into getting a chiller and if I were you I would get the Teco 1000 as there is only a small difference in the scheme of things and I think in the heat you have the 500 may struggle and then you will have wasted your money.

I would certainly just get the 1000 no hesitation having done the research.

Before you buy one I would try the large fan like mine as it works surprisingly well by pointing it over the tank. It has a 16 inch fan and when I first 'installed it' I had it on maximum power (6) but now I use it on min (1) so that gives you a guide has to how effective it is at cooling. Infact I wouldn't leave it on all the time otherwise the heater would kick in as I don't run temperature controller at the moment.

I think it's one of those pieces of kit that you only get one if you have no choice as they are expensive and it's something else to fail or maintain and also it will pump more heat into your home as it cools.

Fireshrimp1968

Plus 1 on the use of fans Shaun, I have 2 clip on desk fans for my Max s 650, one of which was used faultlessly for my old 300 litre tank when I had it. I like the idea of a chiller but really can't justify the extra cost for our British weather which is unpredictable but for the most part cool and rainy lol, you mentioned hiding equipment on one of your posts, is it possible to hide heaters on the back wall of the weir behind where the wavemakers are? Just to be really sneaky???? Lol

SPR

is it possible to hide heaters on the back wall of the weir behind where the wavemakers are? Just to be really sneaky???? Lol

You could if you want or You can just put the heater in the left hand side of the sump. Thats were mine is anyway left hand side at the back.

I originally had 2 x 200w eheim but when i built my 'water change' bucket system i used them and replaced with a single 250w.

PS. The rear circulation pumps aren't wavemakers. There just pumps.