Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Back from my holibobs. Nothing died I am glad to report. The only problem that occured was the NYOS going crazy and overskimming. My contact man was unavailable so I told the MIL to just switch off the skimmer. So it didn't run for about six days but no harm has been done.

SPR

Welcome back!

The overskimming seems to be just one of the break in stages of the NYOS. Mine did it for no apparent reason and then I had to open the main valve up a little. Fortunately I was home at the time unlike you.

Mine is a few weeks ahead of yours, and seems to be pretty much dialled in now and working a treat. No regrets about changing it all and it's light years ahead of the C Skim.

Nobbygas

So, I'm back in control of the tank again. The Doser worked well when I was away. I've just had to up the amounts of the Triton stuff dosed by a small amount, as levels had dropped slightly, but that now looks all ok.
One of my Blue/Green Chromis is struggling though. Before the holiday it had started to hide itself in a rock all day long, and only came out for food. Now, it's swimming near the surface, in a vertical position. Last night it didn't sleep in the rocks. As can happen with these fish I suspect it's been bullied by the others as it is also the smallest of the group. Sad to see, but that's nature at work.
I've got loads more narcissus snail eggs, and for the first time I actually saw a baby narcissus snail in the tank.
My next big job is to drastically increase the amount of coral I have.

SPR

Let's have some pictures then Nobbygas when you get chance.

We like pictures lol!

Nobbygas

I bought a really nice Flame Dwarf Angelfish yesterday. It was dead this morning, bullied to death by the two yellow bellied Damsels and the Kole Tang. They hunted it down wherever it went. I was hoping the aggression would just be short......but obviously not. Not happy with my fish today.

SPR

Sorry to hear that Nobbygas. I to lost a Foxface to same situation last week - poor little thing was bullied to death.

I have had success when I've added 2 fish at a time, the last ones being a Regal Angel and a Naso tang, both of which were young and are doing great now.

I think myself I'm going to stick to this method in view of all the other fish have and territory etc.

Nobbygas

I added four Lyretail Anthias at the same time, however the Kole Tang targeted the Flame Angel like a mad thing possessed !
I'm annoyed, because the Flame Angel was on my 'must have' list.

Oh well.........Live and learn.

The Anthias have already had a good effect on the tank. They swim around near the top of the tank. You won't find them down amongst the rocks. As they swim near the top, this has a settling effect on the rest of the fish, as in nature, if there are fish swimming above them, it means that there are no predators nearby. This brings other fish, that normally may be a bit shy, out into the open more. They tend to group with the Blue/Green Chromis, with the Chromis swimming just slightly below them. The mixture of the Blue/Green plus the Red/Orange/Pink of the Anthias makes for a very nice colourful display. The direction the Anthias face also gives you a few clues about your water current as they nearly always face in the direction the flow is coming from. They do this in nature, so they remain staionary as the flow (and food) passes by them. Obviously it will be different in a tank, but they still tend to exhibit their natural things (to a certain extent).
This is from my diving knowledge. As a diver, it is always good to just look underwater when you are on the surface. You look for the little fish, like Anthias. The way they are facing will indicate where the current is coming from, and the amount of 'wriggling' they are doing will give you an indication of the strength of the current. It's useful to know these things before you go down !

mr_tap_water

Try placing a mirror at one end of your tank Feed a little more often for a couple of days and you find things should settle with The angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Everyone was well fed before the introduction, and I also tried the old mirror trick to deflect the attention away from the Angel, but it didn't work this time.

mr_tap_water

even though you say they were fed well before you introduce them it doesn't hurt to keep feeding them more than you would on regular intervals to distracts the bully and also helps keep the energy up on the One being bullied also keeps it's Immune system up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

The silly little things we do for our tanks..........

For me, it's the glass strengthener on the top, at the front of the tank. I find salt builds up on the upper surface, and the underneath gets a load of crud growing on it, and I don't like it. So, I use an old, small glass magnetic scraper that I had, and run that along it every other day That clears the salt and the crud.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

The silly little things we do for our tanks..........

For me, it's the glass strengthener on the top, at the front of the tank. I find salt builds up on the upper surface, and the underneath gets a load of crud growing on it, and I don't like it. So, I use an old, small glass magnetic scraper that I had, and run that along it every other day That clears the salt and the crud.
I do that! But not every day just when it offends my eye!lol

I don't get crud on the underneath, just salt creep on top and underneath. You might have your water level to high if your getting crud ?

Nobbygas

Yeah, I get a 'brown stain' like crud on the underneath, as the water level basically reaches there. I find if I lower the level a bit, then the gurgling noises start at the top/back. The best level seems to be when the water is just below the overflow downpipe. Maybe I need to fiddle some more!

SPR

I hope the tank it level lol!

My water level generally stays so it's just running into the emergency downpipe. It always seems to want to go there. It then just 'laps' at the reinforcement bar.

The down flow control is very sensitive and only slight movement is needed. I'm always fiddling with it.

Nobbygas

My water level means that the underside of the reinforcement bar is actually underwater, and the water tends to just lap on the side of it. I never have to adjust the down flow control. It stays where it is.

Yeah, the tank is level.

SPR

My water level is set so it's just slightly lapping the bar so I don't get the crud.

If you read the instructions your supposed to have the water set so it's against the first marker in the viewing window on the right hand side of the tank which then puts the water just under the bar. Mine just naturally always want to be above this though.

At the end of the day we can do whatever we want with our individual tanks because their ours. And I don't think it matters much anyway. Well apart from you cleaning crud!

Also it may well depend on what level we have set in the sumps. As I say, if I leave it just running down the emergency pipe it's fine and it always seems to want to go back there.

Nobbygas

That sounds like a pretty similar level to mine. It's happier when it's just under the emergency overflow.

Fish news:
The Blue/Green Chromis that had started to hide itself and only come out at feeding time is now happily swimming around in the shoal with the other five! I put this down to the Anthias, as they swim at the top which provides comfort and assurance to the other fish below them ! Plus, if there was any bullying going on with the Chromis group, the fact that they now swim with the Anthias may deflect the bullying away from that one as there are more fish swimming around.

Next, Cyano. I have had a light dusting since the tank was set-up, but in the last few weeks it has started to get worse. Now, this does tend to happen with new tanks, but Ive had enough of it. It has to go !
SO.........What to do? A three-day blackout? Nope, I don't like doing that. What is feeding the Cyano? I test for Phosphate, and that always returns a reading of zero. I run Rowophos in a reactor, so that reduces Silicate and Phosphate. The ICP water test showed everything to be ok.
SO....I've ordered a bottle of Vibrant! I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but I'm interested to see if it actually works. If you've never heard of Vibrant, then look here
https://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner

or is it just snake oil?

SPR

I've just read up on Vibrant on Reef2Reef and there is a long thread on it and looks very interesting and you can get it in the UK as well.

I have done a 3 days blackout before and it worked and infact Im going away for 7 days and was going to get my wife to turn lights off again for the 3 days before I get back. I still have a small amount of hair algea which is hanging in there and I want to finish it off.

I hate doing the blackout when I'm home as it means I can't stare at the tank!

You can also use Chemiclean on cyno. I used it on my first tank when I was learning and it did work. I didn't understand anything back then but it worked.

Let us know about Vibrant if you try it.

Fascinating snail as well.

Nobbygas

I had to order the Vibrant from the US, as the UK suppliers would not send it to Germany ! Globalization eh!
Regarding spare parts for the tank. Did you get yours via Red Sea or did you have to order them via the LFS? I'm just looking to get some spare water intake covers for the circulation pumps, and some more weir combs, just so that when I take them out for a clean I can fill the gaps as I'm worried some bright spark of a fish will nip through the holes !