Max 250 noise issues

Tim Duncan

Thanks for all the great info guys! I solved the problem yesterday by taking a rubber end piece off of my first pump #1 (the one that never worked when I bought my Max). As soon as I put it on and plugged it in.....SILENCE! What a lovely sound, or should I say, lack of. Thanks again, u guys are the best.

jpsika08

Great news Tim, I really don't know why in some cases that rubber is missing, which translates into no testing before shipping either from RSM and/or Hydor :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for all the great info guys! I solved the problem yesterday by taking a rubber end piece off of my first pump #1 (the one that never worked when I bought my Max). As soon as I put it on and plugged it in.....SILENCE! What a lovely sound, or should I say, lack of. Thanks again, u guys are the best.

Great news!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1055.gif

Pechelambic

I don't know who will read this.....but I discovered something about the MAX250 noise issue regarding the Sicce Skimmer Pump. Mine got really noisy and I opened it up and found the rubber bulging around the impeller shaft. Not the little orange rubber seals but he biggest part of the shaft. The two inch black part behind the needle wheel. Well this pump was always noisy even brand new. So, with nothing to lose I put the impeller assembly into my cordless drill. I took 100 grit sand paper and wrapped it around the impeller shaft and started shaving it down by turning on the drill. This made the assembly diameter smaller than original. Put it all back and it is quiet as a mouse. The funny thing is that it makes massive foam and works better than original. I will continue to test this....please do not do this to a new impeller unless you are prepared to give up 50$ for a new impeller if you screw it up.

best

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Thanks for the tip ! If you don't get a lot of feedback from the members of "this thread" it's because this was an old 2010 post - back then, Red Sea actually had Hydor pumps & has since changed all to the Sicce. Hopefully your tip will help someone, if my skimmer pump was noisy, I would give it a go ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@Danny king

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: