drooping Colt

Susanedw

The other good rock for the duncan might be the top above the torch, between the acro rock and the rock with the torch beneath. I'm not sure the sweepers of the torch can go up and over if I use that crevice between the rocks. But the duncan might blot out the acros if I put it there. 20170328_114756_resized.jpg

mr_tap_water

The tree coral is really starting to pick up now The other piece of it should follow shortly. Be careful with overdoing the poxy as I believe it takes the oxygen out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water Good to know. I'll use the super glue to glue the duncan to the rubble rock and then poxy to the tank rock. Also thinking to move the xenia to the rock with the colt to keep it on it's own island? The Colt should be able to discourage it? And maybe the xenia will smother the tuffs of hair algae on that rock. Making a map of my tank so I know where to put what in futrue.

mr_tap_water

If I was you I would have a really good think and decide once and for all where you would like to put these corals , especially if they're starting to open up they must be happy,

work it out on a piece of paper first before you decide to move then ,
as the more you keep moving them the more chance you will stress them out or lose them, I tell you this because I've done it myself in the past and I bet so many others[emoji6]

Susanedw

That is exactly what I'm doing. I have coral draw and i"m labeling where everything is going and will take it with me each visit to the lfs.

Right onw, I have all the coral all where I want them and where they seem happy.

The Duncan is the only one in question. It will remain at that level in the tank or slightly higher (because of the plug, I can only wedge it into the place where it is currently but not permenent as it is too close to the gps)

My choices when I get some poxy for the Duncan is:
Either behind the gps rock so it is slightly higher to keep gps off it
In the crevice between the acro and torch rock.

The xenia was moved lower to make room for the acros as I don't want those overrun. I'll either put the xenia on the colt rock which is an island or in the refuge. Do not want to fight that. It's happy where it is but that area is for hammers and frogspawn and torches. It's in a temp spot. Unless someone says not to put it on rock with colt, I'll glue it to a bunch of rubble and put by itself or in the refuge.

Switching the colt this morning was good to do as it is now extending. Yesterday it didn't. And the Duncan is looking even happier than yesterday as well. 2 heads are extended the largest yet that I've seen. I can't put it in a perm. place until I get more poxy but it will stay at that level.

would love your opinon on where to locate the duncan when I can poxy it down. And I'll share my coral plan too later.

mr_tap_water

Really is down to self preference as we all have our own ideas of where we would like things but going by your last picture I would just move it down to the Rock Below your be surprise once it settles how quick it will spread.

Susanedw

That's a possibility as long as my tang can swim thru that hold--it is its favorite swime-thru. I don't have anything in mind to add to that area.

Susanedw

Drooping colt branches are pointing upward. Base is not bent in half, more straight out. Hoping it continues upward. It's a given that it is liking that spot. When I can poxy it down, I can adjust angle of the rubble rock for best look for both. It's secure enough on the large rubble rock which is positioned over a large hole in the pukani (so sorry shrimp) so will give it a week or even longer before doing so.

Susanedw

Okay, finally finished a map of my tank. Can take this with me to the lfs or consult if I try ordering online. I have places for future, and room for others as I decide what I want. Didn't bother with the anemones as who knows where they'll go (wherever they want....) Opps, forgot an arrow for duncan choice 3...coral map.jpg

Keep in mind that GSP can get out of control and take over a large area. Right now about 1/5 of the back of my tank is covered with it. Personally I like the way it looks but putting it too close to other corals will likely become a problem longer term.

Susanedw

@Florida Sunshine I know that about the gps and xenia. Also read that the colt and duncans can do that. I'll just plan to trim as needed. and maybe attach to my back wall as I think that would be cool. If I put the duncan right behind the top of that rock, poxied to the back, it will be a bit higher and I'll have more time before having to deal with it!

Was gone all day today, and very nervous about it--first day away in a long time--. No time to test water or do a water change as I'd prob. have done one yesterday. Came home and my poor Duncan had gotten knocked off the rock. Put him back up (need apoxy) and he started extending. But the joy? My drooping colt recovered and both were looking beautiful!!

Will go mix salt, water is heated, and water change and test tomorrow. and dose if need be, which I'm sure I will have too.... Sort of wishing I'd glued the broken off pc (lighter one) onto its own rubble rock. But they should look nice together too. Will poxy them down right where they are, just adjusting the angle a bit.

What kinds of epoxy can I use in a reef tank. I have no fish store local, don't think petsmart carries it and don't like what amazon has.

My tank survived the day without me. I want to ck the acros under lighting tomorrow. Seems maybe the green one is bleaching a bit. Maybe I need to block the light a bit? No time to test today. Nitrates are running a bit high--10-20 but I'm wc'ing every 2-3 days and using prime. Will see where I stand tomorrow. Everything else looks extremely happy--all other fish, coral and inverts. Even the anemone is still hanging in there.View attachment 502823