Susan's RMS Max C250

Susanedw

so the tank is cycling with a pc of shrimp and bio spira. I'm hoping I don't have to tear it down. It doesn't seem as steady on the stand as I'd like. Maybe with weight beneath it would be better. The stand is for 2 29 gal. I ended up with a 37, just higher and same footprint and was planning on a 20 gal quarenteen on bottom. Will ck with hubby tonight. Might have to put concrete blocks on bottom and will see if he can maybe also strap to the wall in case of earthquakes. This is calif. but out in the central valley. Haven't felt one since we moved here in 2000.

Do I need to go thru the entire cycle or when ready just plumb to main display. It's a bit larger than a typical refugium so it's a lot of water. Should get my cs overflow box and returns tomorrow.

Okay, so this tank that I got at petsmart, a TF 37 gal, is not the best. Talk about cheap. If I can find a place online to leave a review, I plan to. Might also contact the company.

-The worst is this neon orange sticker right above the water line that tells me who built the tank and when.... Who the he** puts a manufactors sticker where it can be see and where the consumer cannot remove it? It is between glass and trim.Right now I can barely see it with the water line and the skim and bubbles but hey, guess what? The camera got it... will find a pc of black acrylic to silicone over it. Petsmart did give me 20 off tank. I'd already painted it when I found it. The way I handled the tank, it was from the back and that eye sore was hidden from my view otherwise I could have painted the other side.
-Hood is one piece. Meaning every time I want into the tank I have to pull it off totally. What? Who thought of that? There is a feeding hole but people do have to get into the tanks.
-Power hob filter makes this awful grinding noise every so often. Scare the heck out of me.
-Thermometer has no markings for temp adjustment. You just turn blindly... And of course if it isn't high enough you have to remove hood, fight the cord for the led lights to move the hood just to get to it

I just keep telling myself its a refuge but dang it, it's a display refuge. and yeah, I won't need the therm. or hob filter once I'm hooked up, and yeah, guess who has to go on amazon and buy new lights...

Looking at led's. I sure see the difference between just whites and my rs max lighting. Wow.

20170320_190903_resized-jpg.498285
20170319_131120_resized-jpg.498287

Susan

Susanedw

My refuge is up and burbling away. Really do not like the bio wheel. Too noisy and splatter water everywhere! Just waiting on my cs overflow box to arrive, and a float valve kit to hook up hte main tanks pump to the refugium to plumb. the cycle is starting in the refuge. I used the bio spira and a shrimp which is quite disgusting today. It's in a mesh bag attached to a veggie clip for easy removal. It comes out today. I figure I'm a week away from getting it all plumbed.

Unless someone thinks I should do a complete cycle, I'll plumb together as soon as I get the cs overflow box, the plumbing, and the float valve hooked up to the pump I'll use in the main tank to send water to the refuge.

Because the refugium is 37 gal to go with the a 66 gal main tank, which is more than half the water volume, I plan to remove half the water of the refuge, replace it with water from the main tank and then add fresh salt water to the main tank so the water parameters are close to the same in both tanks. I have one small rock from display to add to the refuge and I'll take a cup or so of sand from the deeper areas to add as well. Also have 2 sponges in my sump to add into an acrylic soap cup holder (for showers) with suction cups to hold the foam. Getting my tank as close to perfect/good as I can.

Going to treat the main tank once more with chemi clean today. first treatment did not get it all and I don't want to add cyano to the refuge. Going to go find some macro algae this weekend to help with the nitrates in main tank. Got them back down to around 10. Excited to get this display refuge planted.

Received a new LED light for the refuge. Hood was horrid--it didn't swimg up or open. To get into tank, I had to remove hood completely which is a pain when it is plugged in for the lighting. Lesson learned: no more aquarium kits from petsmart... Utterly cheap and useless parts.

Susanedw

I have a separate refugium thread but that is more for the build and set up. My question here is on adding pods.

I added pods today to the refugium. It is not yet plumbed to the main display. I had a bio wheel hob filter running just for flow and oxygen while the tank cycles (37 gal display refugium).

Concerned that the new pod population would get filtered, I shut it off and put in an air stone. It will e a couple weeks before I get the two tanks plumbed.

Can I/should I run the filter?
Will it harm my pods. I saw a few on the glass tonight
Should I take one of the wave makers out of the main tank and use that instead? I just added a second one to help battle cyano so hate to move that one.
I could also run the power filter without the carbon/foam and just let the bio wheel run or take all out and just let it move water.

I also added one small portion of chaeto? I have half in my main tank in a basket sucktion cupped to the glass to help with nitrates until I get the two tanks plumbed. Waiting for new tank to cycle
Took half of this and put it in the refugium tank. Refugium is cloudy as I added a bunch of rubble rock today
20170325_212513_resized-jpg.500784

20170325_212505_resized-jpg.500783

Susanedw

Lots of news...
GBTA moved. Actually came up almost all the way onto the shelf and was facing upward. Was ready to drop a shrimp into it to feed after the lights came on but then it clammed back up again. Later that day, it moved. Left that rock grouping all together and is now on the separate piece of pukani right near the sand bed. Still hard to feed but it's still hanging in there...

Feather duster had lost its crown and I feared it was gone. Some nassarius snails were irritating it. Was about to ask how long it takes to create a new crown when I saw it was back. Crown a bit different. A bit more fringy and a bit of green. Will have to get a pic and post.

Added a small ball of macro algae to the tank until I get the refugium set up. Split it between the two tanks. Hope that will help with nitrates.

Did a second dose of chemi clean Looks like it's taking care of more of it. Another day to go. Will water change tomorrow evening or monday am.

Does old coraline on rubble rock help seed a tank? I added some from the fish store to the refugium and added a few pieces to the main. If othing else, it add color...

Picked up a few more corals. Haven't added any since xmas. One of the leathers broke off so I actually did my first super glue (gel) to a rubble rock. The big piece didn't have much of a base so glued what it had and the part that broke off (had a hard piece of coral or something) to the same rock.

I think this is my duncan... Need to make notes in my phone... Already opening up. Scooter blenny finding interesting things on it to snack on. Now to figure out where to put them. lfs guy was impressed that I came in with a photo of my aquarium to plan where to put stuff.

20170325_212541_resized-jpg.500787

This is my leather and the one I had to glue
20170325_212555_resized-jpg.500788

Forget the name already. Have to go look up...
20170325_212604_resized-jpg.500789

Here is the refugium. Not sure if it needs more rock. Want lots of room for plants. Cloudy as I added the rubble rock. Right now it is set up for pods and plants. I can rearrange rock later if need
arises.
20170325_212505_resized-jpg.500791

mr_tap_water

Just so that you are aware The second picture is not a leather it's Kenya tree coral.

The third ones are type of Acropora gradually move to a higher position along with good quality water good lighting to need to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Just out of curiosity what is the reason behind the air stone,
If that you just like the look of the bubbles have you ever tried a wooden diffuser which gives a different affect altogether and what's recommended for a salt water tank.

if it's for adding oxygen to your system IMO is ineffective does not create hardly any oxygen whatsoever, you're better off with a flow pump Pointing up to the surface which will create gas exchange and add oxygen to your water in a more efficient way Plus added water circulation.[emoji846]

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water Nice to know. lfs said it was a leather... Did some researching last night. So kenya and colt coral seem to be the same? The Acropora I figured on putting on the rock with my green star polyps to form a grassy mat beneath them? Or I could add them onto the shelf. The area with the torch is for those of that family. Not sure if the sweepers would reach the top. I could also move the xenia (tall rock to the far right) and put them there. NOt sure if can share a rock with a xenia?

mr_tap_water

Be careful with the green star as it may cover the Acropora from the base up.
What I do believe it is Kenya also be careful where you're placing them as they can kill whatever lay on top of, and is also a very aggressive coal,
Here's a picture of of mine when fully open.
9fc968e30770d9c311c0768869b536f0.jpg

Susanedw

Oh, @mr_tap_water the airstones are because I dosed chemi clean and the instructions say to add oxygenation. I pointed both returns to the surface and added 2 air stones for more surface agitation. I wanted to overkill rather than not enough.

Last time I did 3. I took one down as I'll be doing a water change later. Looks like dose 2 got rid of the cyano, or most of it. Will see in a weeks time if that is so. Going to order more macro. None of the lfs have much at all. I got what I could and it looks pretty sad...
Know how to get rid of patches of hair algae. I have 2 thick patches. One on the zoa frag and one on the pukani. I pull it out but it is rooted hard and deep. Can't take the frag out as it is expoxied down and the pukani has a feather fan living beneath it. Most of all the other algae is gone but this stuff has a strong hold.20170326_150116_resized.jpg 20170326_150132_resized.jpg

mr_tap_water

If I was to use a air stone I would use the wooden type much more smaller bubbles in fact more of a missed, but having a flow pump pointing towards the surface Will give you better results.

Susanedw

Okay, I made a map of my aquarium. The lfs was impressed that I came in with a picture of my tank <g>. So I added the new corals and added text and a plan of next batches. My gbta doesn't show here and lord knows where it will go next or if it will even be alive tomorrow!!!

I want sections of like corals, not a random mix. Neat and tidy (and no, I'm not ocd. At least not in many areas <g>)

So far, the new corals are happy. I've epoxied the apros and then ran out of stuff. The colt is very happy on the pc of pukani. Even the drooper (one that broke off and I did my first glue) is starting to lift its branches. When I'm ready to attach, I'll shift the angles a git so they are pointing more upward. Don't want to disturb them if I don't have too at this point.

the only coral I've not decided on placement is the Duncan. Two heads are open and happ yall the time. Other 4 open and close. Not sure if they keep getting irritated by fish or are just a bit too high for lighting on that end. I stuck it there as it is the only place I can poke the plug and have it stay. The other 2 choices have to safe way to wedge in and keep it from falling, unless I try a rubber band around plug and back pc of rock of choice 1 to see what it thinks of that location.

My choices of permenant places are listed on the map below.

1-behind the rock where the gps is. I plan to glue it to rubble rock to make it a bit taller and then I can poxy it just behind or on top. Gps can grow below and even on the rubble but I can keep it off the plug1-right below on that ledge. It's a bit lower from lighting but flow should be good there

2-crevice between 2 rocks right below acros and above torch. I think it's far enough not to get stung and not too close to the acros. but not too sure on that

3-below on shelf under it's present temp. position. Not sure if that would be too low, as I can't block the swim thru--my tang would not be a happy camper--favorite shortcut.

My first choice is to share the gps rock, second by the acros. Right now, there are no hammers or frogspawn or montipora but I have places to put them <g>. Didn't add anemones as they'll go where they want to go

coral map.jpg

Susanedw

Was gone all day today, and very nervous about it--first day away in a long time--. No time to test water or do a water change as I'd prob. have done one yesterday. Came home and my poor Duncan had gotten knocked off the rock. Put him back up (need apoxy) and he started extending. But the joy? My drooping colt recovered and both were looking beautiful!!

Will go mix salt, water is heated, and water change and test tomorrow. and dose if need be, which I'm sure I will have too.... Sort of wishing I'd glued the broken off pc (lighter one) onto its own rubble rock. But they should look nice together too. Will poxy them down right where they are, just adjusting the angle a bit.

What kinds of epoxy can I use in a reef tank. I have no fish store local, don't think petsmart carries it and don't like what amazon has.

My tank survived the day without me. I want to ck the acros under lighting tomorrow. Seems maybe the green one is bleaching a bit. Maybe I need to block the light a bit? No time to test today. Nitrates are running a bit high--10-20 but I'm wc'ing every 2-3 days and using prime. Will see where I stand tomorrow. Everything else looks extremely happy--all other fish, coral and inverts. Even the anemone is still hanging in there.View attachment 502823

Susanedw

couldn't stand it. Took numbers. nitrite and amm at 0, and nitrate 20. Alk at 6 so dosed. Will watwer change and dose again. Using reef builder and also kent 2 part. Will have to start doing daily. Didn't do cal or mag as those tend to be at 380-400 and 1200 almost no matter what, and I am doing another wc tomorrow. Just can't keep alk up.

mr_tap_water

Glad to see some of the things are working out for you The tree coral is looking brilliant,

You say you have some bleaching that's the problem with SPSs can be very temperamental if your stats fluctuate specially the KH Side of things,
and imo Acroporas are the hardest and most temperamental of all to keep, if your stats aren't correct you could end up losing most of your SpSs.

LPSs and soft are far more forgiving than SPSs because they need very stable stats and Low Phos and No3 compare to the other two.

Going by your stats The first one you need to get correct is your magnesium and would bring it up to 1350, with your KH anywhere between 7-9 should be fine trying to hold it as close as possible to whichever one you choose, with calcium I would go for 420,

If I was you for now I would stop buying SPSs until you can get your stats under control and stable for a length of time, as stats drop at different rates depending on what you have in your tank and you will see your KH probably drop the fastest out of the three, and will cause the most problems for your SPSs and die overnight.

If you really want to keep SPSs in the future you will need to dose on a daily basis which can be done manually or mechanically or a calcium reactor.

As for your poxy don't just buy any old thing you need to buy one that is safe for reef tanks some poxy may contain dangerous chemicals.

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water as usual, wise advice. These were the first corals since December and I don't plan to add any for a couple m on ths at least--$$$$$ Haven't added any fish since end of Jan. Hubby picked those out (and he want monti's) and as he's showing an interest, hate to discourage him <g>. Wasn't doing dosing while battling the cyano but lfs said to start regardless so am now going to concentrate on raising ca, mg and alk. I use IO salt and it's always low. Going to try to get sal up to 1.025 as it is usually 1.024 to see if that helps

I have had a netting (like bridal netting) across the front top part of tank so I can leave the front flap cover open for heat control (and keep jumpers in), but don't think that blocks signif. light. No chiller yet so using fans--I place one on top of hood that folds back and point it down (it's safely secure) and fans blowing across sump. Can try to shift the netting just over those in case. Or if it is too much, too soon, I can block a bit more. They are at the highest point.

Susanedw

Had to redo the big colt coral frag. It was such a fragile frag when I bought it--not affixed to a plug, just several thin, flat, oval pcs on several sides. I glued it to a rubble rock using one sliver of harden coral and it didn't hold. Had to redo. In handling it, the one that did fall off the original came off so i went ahead and put that on it's own rock. Hoping they hold now or I'll have to get brave and redo totally. What I need is some epoxy but I'm out and no lfs close to me. Don't like what amazon has but might have to order anyway. I'd like to get them fixed into their "homes"

The Duncan opens and closes and there is a new head. I thought it was just scarring but it's a new head so that makes 8. Also need epoxy to do that one. I think first I'm going to glue it to a rubble rock to a) hide the plug B) try another spot to see how it/I like it there. Can't now as the plug has nothing to jam into and it's pretty heavy. So I'm at 3.5 months now. The coral I bought this last time was the first coral since end of Dec. Didn't add anything new since end of Jan--almost 2 whole months :p Most algae gone or very little. Have 3 patches of it going in the pukani crevices and on one zoa frag. I use tweezers and pull. Use a brush or turkey baster on other rocks when needed. Still dealing with nitrates in the 10-20 range. Waiting for 37 gal to cycle to pumb together.

Fish are all doing well
--Kole Tang is a kick and no more white spots. I use kents garlic when he gets them in food and water. LFS said coral don't like garlic and just use in food. Tang eating frozen offerings now and algae strips rubberbanded to a rock. Everyone waits for me to take it out and put it back. One of the peppermint shrimps actually grabbed my finger in its haste. Tang is about 3.5 inches. When he gets too big, he goes to my sil who has a 300 gal. He loves to swim through crevices and now is constantly snacking on rocks and sand and even the glass.
--Gold Head Sand Sifting Goby looking good. Doing it's thing. About 3.5 inches. Love the pure translucent white with gold head and touch of blue. Moves all over tank now instead of staying close to burrow near front of tank
--Scooter Blenny is a joy. He's right there to greet me and show off and when the turkey baster god appears, he's right there to accept any offerings. Great coloring and really surprised me to find him so colorful when he displays his fins
--bicolor blenny is the guard of the tank. Goes from one pukani hole to another to watch everything and everyone!. Moves about the tank, peering over shelves and rocks. Last couple days spotted it in the gold heads burrow and it doesn't seem to mind. Saw it zip out with the blenny right there.
--2 clowns don't do much. Rather boring as they tend just to host their corner of the aquarium--literally the back corner. Wish they swim about more
--2 chromis mingle and like to flutter in the large cavern. Tang chases them out at times and they just go right back.
Eventually will add maybe a female scooter, a mandarin when pods are in great supply, and maybe another--wrasse or anthia? Or fire goby? Not sure. Happy where we are at the moment.
Corals
--xenia doing well. going to put it where it is a bit more isolated or in my refugium which is a display refugium. Might put it on same pukani as the colts. maybe it will out compete the hair algae on part of that rock
--Torch extends nicely. on and off during day, seems fully recovered from before, as the xenia has
--green star polyps looking nice
--Zoa/polyp frag really looking nice. I pluck at the hair algae every water change
--Duncan--love this coral.
--2 colts. Love them as well
--2 acros. Large brown one doing better than small green one which doesn't seem as green as when I brought it home and doesn't have as many polyps extended, unlike the brown one. Of couse, you need your camera phone on highest mag to see...
--Anemone What can I say except its not dead. It has moved, more into the open and on a totally new rock which means it went float about to do so. toward bottom on the pukani. It opens and extends. I still can't get food to stay. but if it is open I try to get some frozen shrimp in from the turkey baster. Maybe some tentacles growing a bit. Still bleached but it does unshrivel and stretch up, esp. after lights go off. Every day I see it still alive I am amazed. It if survives, it'll be the strongest thing in my tank... And most stubborn and determined to survive...
CUC
--3 emeralds all doing their job. One huge one, one med., one small. Wish they'd eat an area and then go elsewhere but they eat a few mouthfulls of the patches of hair algae and move off. Lots of snails and at least 5 hermits still.

Refugium
37 gal. 31x12x25 approx close to my display tank. It has a nice bloom of diatoms. Probably about time to add some snails. Have to see what eat diatoms or just let them be to cycle. Not sure if snails will disturb the pods on the glass Added more rock rubble. LFS said I needed more rock (I took pics of the two tanks with me) so added the 2 shelves and the rubble. It's rather messy to me but I can always add a taller rock on top or just put macro algae on top of the rock work. Goal might be to have sea horses in there if I find ones that handle same temp. Not for a good year or so. Have pods gathered on tank glass. Feeding some flakes in there every other day or so and rub between fingers to get fine. Right now hob filter. Two foam sponges from my other sump which will come out. Nitrites at 1 and nitrates at 20. No ammonia. Did a bit of a water change yesterday. Took some water out, put more in Don't want to disturb the pod population.

found a place on ebay to get some plants. Grown in open air outside vats so no pests or contamination from tanks or fish. Seems the right way to go. Once pods get going, I figure that tank will be good to put mandarins in to fatten them up before putting them in main tank. Or leave them there. Needs pods in both tanks first. Waiting for numbers to zero out so I can plumb together. I esp. hate that hob filter....Put plastic wrap around lights to keep water from forming salt creep on led lighting.

Refugium. Not very pretty or interesting. Hubby has to figure out way to attach to wall in case of earthquake. Top heavy. Need to get weight below. Next pic is what I think are pods on the tank glass. Guess I can never use a magnet scrapper? Unless I want to sacrifice some pods...

20170331_193604_resized.jpg 20170331_194355_resized.jpg