Crowther's E-260

Crowther

Went ahead and poured the sand last night. Got it filled up this morning only to find that I had swapped the main downpipe and overflow--doh! So, I pumped it back out, got them in the right spots and re-filled.

It looks like it's starting to clear up. So, I dropped my shrimp and got the light app working. Still leaving them off for the time being. But, it's good to know they're ready when the time comes.
4a71dc54b93fa36da6debfffb62c54f4.jpg

6c6dd6c09ea1d8052c8da5f65c1eb027.jpg

2313b052135c56e1d0fe44b064626f12.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Crowther

4529b39a0db63ef3563b7571b28ee993.jpg

The Jerry rigged protein skimmer is in. Initially, it was tipping over every time I turned it on because the pump would slide up into the chamber with the added weight of pumped water. I was able to use the spare suction cup feet from my new sump to solve that problem by allowing the pump to fully slide into the chamber and remain flush with the base. Still noisier than I would like, but it functions.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Crowther

Well, no Nitrate that I could detect. But, I do have some Nitrite. So, that's a start.

Picked up some more live sand from another local reefer and he gave me a little live rock to throw in too. I put that in the sump area. Wouldn't you know it, my freshly filled ATO was empty. I must have messed something up when I was adjusting the float valve height earlier. Have to take a look tomorrow I guess. Luckily, all the water stayed in the tanks!

Crowther

So, I know I'm not there yet. But, here's the plan for fish additions:
1st Saddle Valentini Puffer and Green Mandarin
2nd Pajama Cardinalfish x3
3rd Tracey's Damselfish x3
4th Chalk Bass

What do you guys think?

Pat24601

Cool. Thanks for the tip. My wife will be disappointed, but I'm sure she'd be more disappointed if it didn't do well.

The Mandarin is the only fish I added that didn't make it. Beautiful fish, but very hard to maintain, especially early in your tanks development.

Crowther

My Nitrite is rising, but Ammonia and Nitrate are falling. I suspect the Nitrate fell because I got some when I added the sand and piece of live rock from my local fellow reefer's tank, but have not yet established a colony of Nitrate producing bacteria.

Over the last two days, my Ammonia went from 1.5 ppm to 0.5 ppm, my Nitrite went from 1.0 ppm to 4.5 ppm, and my Nitrate went from 5.0 ppm to 0 ppm. I decided to check Phosphate today, it is 0 ppm.

Is it advisable to add another shrimp at this point to produce more Ammonia to feed the Nitrite producing bacteria or just let it be?

Crowther

My nitrite-oxidizing bacteria is going strong--up to 15 ppm Nitrate now. Ammonia is steady at 0.5 ppm and Nitrite has fallen to 1 ppm.

I've decided to go ahead and order some pods, phytoplankton, and marine grass shrimp. The pods and phyloplankton will be getting a few days' head start. So, hopefully the pods dig deep into the dry rock and start colonizing it. As for the phytoplankton, is it likely to clog my filter socks? Any special precautions to take with it?