HELP! Smoking clove/ glove polyps

BeansAndGillroy

Hello, I'm not sure what it means, and I can't find anything on it anywhere. My glove/ clove polyps (not sure which they're called- seen it both ways) have been closed the past couple of days and were not looking too well. I have no idea why. There's a couple of stalks that have shriveled almost as if they are dying, and just today as I was cleaning the glass I noticed a fine, greenish tint smoke coming off of the shriveled polyps and it got me worried. Anyone know what this could be?? Or maybe another thread with the same thing? I could have missed it.

Water parameters if this is needed:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium: 1350

DaveK

... just today as I was cleaning the glass I noticed a fine, greenish tint smoke coming off of the shriveled polyps and it got me worried. Anyone know what this could be?? ...

This can be a couple of things. As @mr_tap_water points out they might be spawning. This could also be the corals "pooping". Both of these are normal.

However is can also mean the coral is dead or close to it, and this is decay products. To check for this give the coral the smell test. A healthy coral will smell bad, a dead or dying one will smell really foul and nasty.

If it's the whole coral, you will need to discard it. If only part of it is bad, it is often possible to frag off the good pieces and save them.

BeansAndGillroy

@DaveK Thank you for your input! I will try the smell test. I'm still not sure what happened in my tank, it was the only coral to take a dive. There's 6 or 7 good polyps that survived the episode that I'll frag off. I gave it some time to hopefully come back but I don't think it's going to happen. Thanks again, have a great day!