HELP! Advice needed - algae and rust on filter

Jo_

I am new to reef tanks and recently purchased a tank with everything in it from someone. When cleaning it, I saw that the filter has stuff on it and I don't know how to remove it. Could someone please help me

17c21ed9c39043701cb2b690322b56f5.jpg
765cada418c06301fb742c4d6dc7b124.jpg

DaveK

The material on the filter is coraline algae. It's really tough to get off. If you can remove that part of the filter you can soak it in hot water and use vinegar along with a lot of scrubbing and scrapping to remove it. If you can't remove it, you'll need to do all the scrubbing and scrapping right where it is.

I usually use a dull knife or something similar to scrape it. It's a long tedious job.

DaveK

The Kent Marine Pro Scraper mentioned is a great scraper for glass, such as the tank, but use it very carefully around plastics. The metal blade can easily scratch plastic.

They do make a plastic blade fro the scraper which is a lot safer around plastic, but it is not nearly ad good a scraper.

ianthepoolguy

Stanley scrapers will work, and are cheap enough to throw away. I always stick them through the dishwasher first to get off any production residue.
Wet and dry paper seems to have no bad reaction either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk