Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

HI Guys

I've been watching my pair of Blue Throat Triggers over the last weeks, as you do, and Im wondering if they are actually trying to breed or are breeding?

They have lived under the rocks on the left side of my tank since I got them probably 7 months ago, and have always 'danced/spun' around together and are generally very friendly to one another cruising around the tank etc.

They will also twirl upwards together spinning around etc.

I've also noticed over the last 3-4 weeks that whenever I put my long callipers in the tank that they try to attack it, and over the last few weeks whenever I clean the glass inside they have started going after the glass magnet (Flipper).

They have also been blowing in the sand at the bottom of the tank every so often together.

Also, I don't know if im imagining it, but the female seems to have a slightly swollen underside.

I'm no expert (well actually I know nothing!) and just wondered on your thoughts ?

SPR

Ok. So i guess we dont have many Blue Throat Trigger breeding experts on here in view if the lack of response then.

Well I know everyone likes pictures so heres some from today and the tank is currently approximately 9 months old.

Also i purchased a wrasse a few days ago. I think hes a flasher wrasse.

I've also learned this weekend how to take an aquarium pump to pieces. This may seem easy to all you experienced reefers, but I'd never done it before. In fact I even purchased a spare Red Sea main pump as back up in case it failed before I learned to clean it. I have just taken the spare to pieces to see how it fits together and I'll then do the one in service at next water change.

I have however taken all 4 rear circulation pumps out and cleaned them down which was actually quiet easy. One failed to start up after it had been spitting sand out which was the reason for cleaning all of them. I think it failed to start as it was full of sand! Main pump next.

IMG_0497.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0495.JPGIMG_0494.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0481.JPGIMG_0493.JPGIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_0463.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

Shaun,
What are your light setting? Can you put them on here?

See my post number 49 there is a picture. Basically Red Sea Reef spec settings.

Around 6.30pm the white ramps down to 0 and then goes to blues only dimmed. I also have the storm effects in as well which I love at night.

mr_tap_water

I found the storm affect spooks my fish but do you use the cloud affect two times a day mainly to help cool the lights down For brief periods of time.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I found the storm affect spooks my fish but do you use the cloud affect two times a day mainly to help cool the lights down For brief periods of time.

I never actually thought of that but it's certainly a good idea. The lightning made me jump to start but I find it quiet atmospheric now. In the evening I go with blue lights and the storm effects. I get great value with Sky as I have to watch everything 3 times because I'm constantly watching the tank!

I don't know about you, being in the UK, but my tank runs at around 26-26.6 ish without any input from the heaters. In fact I have been seriously thinking of just turning them off as they are more of a failure risk than anything.

I'm just in the process of setting up a mixing station, well, that's a fancy word for 4 home brew buckets all with heaters and circulation pumps, and am going to use the 2 currently in the tank for my mixing station, plus 2 others, and I bought a new 250W for the tank, but I think I might just leave it off or out until Autumn.

I just have a thermometer at the moment to monitor the temperature and as soon as Apex decide to release the new system with the EB8 UK energy bar I'm going to get one.

mr_tap_water

You're lucky my heaters are coming on and off continuously at the moment and then it's summer not that we have much of it have to have a fan blowing across the tank all day long which causes a lots of Evaporation.☹️

mr_tap_water

Lovely fish
Used to have a few triggers myself years a go including a blue cheek very active swimmer swims around like a regal Tang Sketty LOL and loves to squeezing between Rocks at night.

SPR

Great pictures [emoji846]
that regal is a young one and the same type as mine.

Thanks Pat and MrTapWater!

When I buy any new fish I prefer them smaller so I can grow them and look after them in my own tank rather than pick one up that's been who knows were for x years. My LFS are very good now they now me and I buy a lot from them, so they look after me and won't sell me anything that there not happy with as clearly they want me to keep going back so..

The little Naso has the cutest little face and lips! You can see it in one of the photos above. He or she is also quite small, only around 2.5 inches and my wife just keeps saying aarrrrrr! Lol.

A regal tank 'sketty', yes that's sums them up and yes they live in the rocks on the left.

I'm actually sure the triggers are breeding you know

I've put some pictures below and you will see the female is hovering over the same spot all the time and the male is to the side in a vertical position and they are both doing some strange behaviour and I'm sure the female looks swollen as in 'with child or fish'! When I was watching them last night I half expected her to give birth...

IMG_0532.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0538.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0534.JPG

Nobbygas

I don't know about these Triggers, but Titan Triggers in the wild tend to build a 'nest' in the sand. Most experienced divers learn to recognise a Trigger Nest, as it can be dangerous to swim over one, as the Trigger can attack you.....I have been attacked by a Titan, but it didn't launch from a nest, but came out of a vertical rock wall and went for my head !
triggerfish-territory1.png

1.jpg

SPR

I can see why you enjoy diving so much with all that thrill and excitement you get from it! Lol

There certainly trying to do something in the sand as they moved 3 smallish rocks at some point and built the sand up on one side of the tank since yesterday. Having read what you've said I'll keep eye out for that a bit more.

SPR

I don't know about these Triggers, but Titan Triggers in the wild tend to build a 'nest' in the sand. Most experienced divers learn to recognise a Trigger Nest, as it can be dangerous to swim over one, as the Trigger can attack you.....I have been attacked by a Titan, but it didn't launch from a nest, but came out of a vertical rock wall and went for my head !
triggerfish-territory1.png

1.jpg

Ok my triggers are building a nest in accordance with Nobby's expert and detailed diagram and picture above.

They have dug a hole on left of my tank as below. I'm not sure how it will look in the photo because of angles etc, but here goes. I filled it in yesterday and they've dug it back out overnight or sometime I wasn't looking!IMG_0551.JPG

SPR

This is a great thread. Glad I found it. Some familiar faces here!

Hi Vanburen

Glad you found me on here as well - this is my marine adventure from start to current date!

It shows picture at the start of exactly what your about to get and what it looks like and if you need any build tips you know were we hang out here and elsewhere.