HELP! Jellies

Brandon Reisig

Hey all. I have come into a biorb 60 halo and was hoping to modify it for jellyfish. ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

DreamerDash

Hey Brandon, that's a really great idea! I have a little 4 gallon biorb that I modified for a rock flower anemone garden. I just use the air stone in mine, and at that small a size it provides decent flow, but in such a way that I could definitely put jellies in it. I've actually thought trying to use a biorb to do just that!

Other than making sure you get enough flow, and I don't know how that works with that large a biorb, I think the key is going to be two-fold: Modifying the undergravel filter, and making sure they get enough light. Also, water changes will be crucial, because I don't think you'll really want to use the undergravel filter as a filter and you probably don't want a lot of live rock in there either.

I glued filter floss around the bottom of mine (the intake part which doesn't move) and stuffed it inside the media chamber, leaving the rest open for water motion sort of like a plenum. In my case I also put a sand bed down; I don't know if you'll want to do that with yours. Here are some pics:
1ccad946164cd91a91cbdcd7bde51c1d.jpg

5fd12f9264f67cea21e6df9673cab493.jpg
6de7b2a2c285bab2e79dcbf35b9a7472.jpg

I put filter floss in this upper chamber where the carbon had been. Then I glued it around the base as well.
54b1fc17e17d2b159174730df99c4264.jpg

Even with the sand bed I had a lot of flow. Within fifteen minutes of starting the pump it went from this:
b7c07a92815499f88f8a2630a72273e3.jpg

To this:
57dc70d084f73af359d7056334914215.jpg

And these days it looks like this:
a6dfdac8eb57a56af53c8072b4a14d64.jpg
71cd3c0ac36d84580e272f5b235a5112.jpg

With enough flow to keep this cespitularia happy and growing!
311bb381d0966f0d66261d7c9955172c.jpg

The greatest amount of flow is along the edges with mine, hence the placement of the cespitularia. I have some other corals which need a bit more flow growing on my live rock near the edges, like sympodium and cyphastrea. They don't like it towards the center as much.

Mine uses a 36w PAR38 LED. The light is actually too intense at the top for my anemones; it's very shallow. In the case of your 60, I would recommend something like a Kessil, to get maximum penetration.

Hope this helps a little bit! If nothing else it shows a reef can be done in a biorb, so I'm sure jellies can too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon Reisig

Thanks for the advice! The tank looks awesome! I have been worried about flow. I'm hoping I don't need to get an external filter. I extended the bubble tube very close to the water line to avoid getting bubbles in the bells of the jellies. I bought a saltwater filter designed for the biorb. Planning on using ceramic media under marbles.1483080738781845133119.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DreamerDash

Oh man, I thought I had replied already! Tapatalk must've eaten it, grrr.

I meant to say good thinking on avoiding the bubbles in the jellies' bells! And brilliant call on using marbles over the ceramic media! Using a saltwater filter designed for the purpose will surely help and it will be easy to change, etc. The marbles will definitely protect the jellies too. What species are you looking to use? And what are you doing for light? Are you going to redo the biorb?

Brandon Reisig

I'm looking into warm water moon jellies so light shouldn't be an issue. As I understand it's not a requirement for that species. I AM starting to get nervous about the small size. I have a lot of people saying that I'll be chasing my tail with maintenance. We'll see, I suppose. Will update soon. Thanks!

Brandon Reisig

Unfortunately having trouble posting any pics. I keep getting a message saying the images are too big. No different from the pic I posted previously...?

DreamerDash

That looks awesome Brandon! That whole look is very retro-sci-fi. Kind of Dr. Who-ish. I dig it. Are you using the stock lighting?

Oh wait, I just saw that lighting shouldn't be an issue. Hmmm, I don't know much about moon jellies obviously. I'm super curious now. This is going to be a great thread to follow!

Brandon Reisig

Thanks, DreamerDash! I was totally going for 50's/60's sci-fi and in fact I was going to make it look like a dalek but decided to go generic instead. Super excited!
As for the lights I have the stock lights and a remote controlled submersible light glued to the top that changes color.

DreamerDash

Thanks, DreamerDash! I was totally going for 50's/60's sci-fi and in fact I was going to make it look like a dalek but decided to go generic instead. Super excited!
As for the lights I have the stock lights and a remote controlled submersible light glued to the top that changes color.
Oooooooh good call with that color-changing light; that will make those jellies really pop!