Nobby's S-650

SPR

I haven't done a single water change since start-up in early December. My plan is to go with the Triton Method, and the main reason for this is that I hate water changes ! The only reason for water changes is to replace elements that have been used up. If you are replenishing those elements with Dosing, then there is no need for water changes. When you think about it, you're adding 30-40 litres of fresh water (RO water) per week anyway with the top-up. The salt level stays the same, and the Dosing replaces the elements that have been used up! No need for major water changes.
I'm only going to do water changes now because I've fed so much crap into the tank from the poor RO water and the best way to clear it out is with some water changes. Hopefully this will be the only time I have to do this. I will do a few water changes over the weekend, and then next week I'll send a water sample off for an ICP test to at least get an baseline/indication of my water quality, and go from there.

I have opened the box of the NYOS 160 and gently stroked it

Mmm on the water changes never thought of that - learning all the time!

Oh and stop teasing me on the NYOS - send me a picture once you have installed it - in the tank that is!

Nobbygas

I'm going to sort out the water first. Hopefully I'll get the NYOS up and running early next week.
That's the thing about this hobby in that it all has to be done slowly and correctly.

SPR

If you are running triton I assume you have the algea in your sump? Wouldn't mind a photo if you get chance but maybe wait till you put the NYOS is place ?

Was reading about triton yesterday but not sure about the algea in the sump but will keep studying.

SPR

I think I'm gonna get the Teco. Did KD say the 500 was big enough as it says Max 500 litre capacity and although I appreciate displacement with rock etc the Max 650 is over that limit?

I was maybe looking at the 1000 as around £150 more but I don't want to have to buy it again and would prefer it to be more than capable rather than struggling?

Nobbygas

The old, classic Triton Method needed an algae bed, but the new Core 7 Reef Supplement version of Triton does not need an algae.bed. you just need a method for nutrient export ie. Skimmer, rowophos, activated carbon or whatever.
My aim is to have the tank running with the minimum of maintenance. I do not want an algae bed either as it can just be yet another source of problems. So, no algae bed, no water changes, means more time to just appreciate what I've got.

Nobbygas

Going back to the Chiller, this is what Kevin recommended....

"There are a number of Chillers that will do the job for sure, if it is on a cost basis you look at those from D & D but I personally use a Teco it has been faultless in 5 years, there is also a big plus with the Teco in that it also heats so you will maintain a good temperature range within 1c allowing for displacement you should just get away with a TK500"

I haven't taken the NYOS out of the box yet, so I'll check tonight.
I completed 200 litres of water changes over the weekend, so hopefully I have that issue under control.

Nobbygas

I put mine together tonight. I think I will install it next weekend as I haven't got much time this week to watch it.

SPR

Yes I did mine yesterday. Very very nicely built indeed. Gonna get it installed in next few days hopefully.

Nobbygas

One question for you. Will you place the NYOS into the same section in the Sump as the old C-Skim, or will you place it in the larger area?

SPR

I was going to place it probably in the same place but I suppose they can go anywhere. When the c Skim comes out I think there will be loads more space without the long outlet pipe etc. Compared with the NYOS is looks like it's come from soviet Russia or somewhere!

Why were you going to put on left hand side of sump or were c Skim is ?

Nobbygas

I'm not sure where to put it. I was just wondering if by putting it into the larger area will it help stimulate the flow? I have a Marine Pure Block in that area, and I think a faster flow may help it work?
Like you, this is all new to me :)

Where does the water come out of the NYOS? Is it that circular hole at the bottom of the long water adjustment tube (at the back)?

SPR

I think it comes out of the hole at the back. Im going to install it tomorrow hopefully.

The power lead isn't very long at all so don't know if it will reach power centre although it's difficult to say until it's in.

Don't know about flow at all to be honest and I try and keep the left sump clear as I do water changes from there.

Nobbygas

The NYOS 160 is installed and running! It was pretty painless to take the old C-Skim out, and the NYOS fired-up straight away. I followed the instructions and adjusted the water adjuster until the bubbles reached the bayonet joint, and now I've just left it. I assume the bubbles will rise from there over time to start dropping the gunk into the collection cup.
There are some micro bubbles being produced, but apparently this is normal during running in.
The cable is indeed too short. Even if I connect to the rearmost socket there still isn't enough cable to slide out the Power Centre.
I must say it is far quieter than the C-Skim.

SPR

Mines chugging away silently - I don't have any micro bubbles at all.

I had to turn my large tub towards 'closed' to raise the water level in the skimmer to around the neck and I had a tip to close the air screw down and then open 2-3 full turns as a staring point which I've done and it's producing Skim mate. I know from when I set up the c Skim it can take weeks/months before they are dialled in perfect.

Nobbygas

This morning, after installing the skimmer, I changed the Rowophos in the Fluidizer, and changed the Active Carbon. Both of these things produced some fines.......and quick as a flash, the Skimmer was picking it up and I could see it at the top of the foam head as it headed towards the top ! I must have spent many hours getting the C-Skim to work properly.
Don't get me wrong, the C-Skim was actually skimming very well at the end. I've no complaints about it as a skimmer. It was just the noise !
It is obvious now, that with the shape, size and the noise of the C-Skim, Red Sea need to up their game and get it sorted out.

SPR

I must have spent many hours getting the C-Skim to work properly.
Don't get me wrong, the C-Skim was actually skimming very well at the end. I've no complaints about it as a skimmer. It was just the noise !
It is obvious now, that with the shape, size and the noise of the C-Skim, Red Sea need to up their game and get it sorted out.

Completely agree. Took me months to get it set up but in the end it was working fine, and until I put the NYOS in I didn't even notice the noise.

The biggest thing I noticed was the space in the sump after removing it. I can see everything now.

The problem in this hobby is that we are always looking for something better and I suppose whatever they put in, you, I or someone else will always moan about it as they've found something better!

Nobbygas

Well, that's the end of the hardware upgrades for now. My money and attention must turn to what's inside the tank and I need to start putting some corals in. I have just a couple at the moment as my intention is to have fish, with some corals, rather than corals with some fish (if you get my drift!).