Steam Punk Lamp

Pat24601

I finished my Steampunk Lamp. I would like to take the credit for the design but I can't. I actually saw it on a site called "Intructables". I found it by accident and they have a lot of cool things to build or just to get ideas from. I embellished on this project by adding a water valve that is actually the switch that turns on the thing. There is an air pump inside which pumps air into the glass chamber (wine bottle)
It is built out of PVC pipe which I painted to look like aged copper. That site shows how to do that as I wasn't sure how to get that old copper look but it does look pretty good if I have to say so myself, and I do.

I just saw this. It's awesome!!!

Paul B

I am almost finished with another SteamPunk lamp. I know I keep saying this, but this new one is my favorite so far. It seems they are all my favorite as I am building them.

I found out that the art show they will be in is a month long. During the show people can bid on the items and buy them after the month. I am kind of excited about it and am anxious to know what people say about them.

Paul B

This new project is about half finished. It still needs the upper structure which will hold the "pull chain" that is coming from a hole in the bottle. That is not the correct bulb which will be a long thin one and it needs paint and antiquing. I think it will come out "interesting" if nothing else.

Paul B

Thank you. I love that one. Now I am thinking about the next one, but I got nothing so far.

Paul B

I have to get rid of some soon because I am running out of room. I am supposed to have at least ten of them for this art show but I don't think I will make that as it is almost boating season and tomorrow I am going to start working on my outdrives. I need to change the oil, paint them and install the zinc's.
Then I have to clean the props of growth.

cracker

Paul the lamps look great. It will be interesting to see what You get for them.
Also How often do You have to pull and clean the outdrives?

Paul B

Here in New York we can't go more than a season without removing them or they will be covered in barnacles and sea growth. Our season is very short, maybe 4 months. We also have to change the zinc's at that time because they are almost half gone.
Those pictured above were only in the water three months. I have to paint them every season but now I only change the oil every other year. I don't think I changed it last year so I will do it today. I may have to heat them up with a heat gun to get the oil out because it is 45 degrees here now but it is supposed to go to 62 today and it rained yesterday and will rain tomorrow so this is the day.
I can't wait for boating season. :celebrate:

DaveK

Thanks, I am going to feel bad if they all sell.

All of them are really interesting. I don't think you'll have any problems selling all them. You may even get some requests for you to build others just like the ones you already made.

If this all works out, you'll be an established artist, and be able to command much higher prices(grin).

Paul B

Yes, I am going to command $10,000.00 for them. Of course that ain't going to happen, but I could still command it. :rolleyes:

I am also signing each one so in 100 years when I am croaked, they will be valuable. :D

DaveK