Monique's reefer 525 - the addiction continues

spiraling

After a lot of thought, plotting, and planning, I finally pulled the trigger on a new tank!

I debated between the 650 and the 525. I really like the look and size of the 650, but I couldn't justify the extra money for the equipment that I would change out anyways (lights, skimmer, pump). Too bad they don't offer all the tanks with or without extra equipment.

I've been deal shopping for months and have all the equipment needed. Black Friday was good to me. The tank is the final items and I ordered it today and should have it in 1 - 3 weeks. I have 80 lbs of rock curing in the garage, and have done a few 'test aquascape' builds. I'm going primarily with the tonga branch since I like the clean lines. Everything else is still in boxes ready to go.

index.php

This will be a slow build. Once I get the tank I want to do several mods before water goes in (manifold, filter sock mod, etc) In retrospect I should have ordered it a few weeks ago, cause it's too cold to do anything outdoors, so I may as well be setting things up.

spiraling

We got the stand set up today and I started putting a few things in.
My husband will build a shelf unit for all the electrical things to get them organized.
Now we just need to find a couple of strong friends to move the tank. The plan was to take the easy route through the back door, but it is solid ice and snow, so it looks like the long route is happening.

index.php

spiraling

yep here's the full tank shot. I had 4 guys move the tank. In reality two might have been able to do it, but 4 made it really easy, and two would have struggled. They put 2x4's under the tank for handles and walked it in. The hard part was the alley of glare ice. little shuffle steps with a big tank...

It all looks great! When I try to add or move things inside the tank I'm glad I didn't go bigger. It hard to get to the back corner for any maintenance. FYI, we had the stand, on a hard floor, perfectly adjusted. With the tank on top the doors were now crooked and we had to take out the sump to readjust. I hope that doesn't happen again once we fill with water....
index.php

mtsully71

Very nice Monique, If ya nee any pointers hit me up, make sure you order some extra filter socks, initially you'll be changing them every 3-4 days. I change em once a week now or when they begin to overflow. The overflow is a bugger to dial in.......... once you get it close make very small adjustments, turn right to raise water in overflow. I added a small pump into the main sump where the skimmer is....helps to keep any detrius from settling. GL and congrats! love the hell out of mine

Sully

spiraling

Very nice Monique, If ya nee any pointers hit me up, make sure you order some extra filter socks, initially you'll be changing them every 3-4 days. I change em once a week now or when they begin to overflow. The overflow is a bugger to dial in.......... once you get it close make very small adjustments, turn right to raise water in overflow. I added a small pump into the main sump where the skimmer is....helps to keep any detrius from settling. GL and congrats! love the hell out of mine

Sully
Thanks Sully, I hope I can get it looking as good as yours!

Played around with some aquascaping again tonight. I think its the hardest (and funnest) part.

spiraling

aaarrrrrggggghhhhh
The plumping is hard. Really hard for people like me.
There are british connectors that need to go to US fittings for a manifold, then I have the BRS pex coming off that. Why can't all the aquarium parts people agree on the same system?

spiraling

We spent a lot of time this weekend setting things up, but I don't have much to show yet. I'm really hopeful to start filling it this week,and I am currently making 35 gallons of RO to get me started. Just the RO will take quite a few days.

I now have a shelf unit for the dry side so I can organize all the parts there.
Currently working on the plumbing for the sump side, getting the manifold cut and glued together. Again, plumbing is not my forte. But its moving along.
I got the rock scape set up and stable, now the pieces are getting glued together.

I promised myself to take the time to set this up right. But its SO HARD when you want to see water in it.....

spiraling

bad news all around today.
We tried to install the GFI and found that the plug we need is a juction, so I'll have to call an electrician to install it.

Worse - the tank has a leak on the bulkhead. I finally got enough water to get into the overflow, and the return pipe bulkhead leaks. Soo frustrating. I've emailed red sea, and I hope this is easy to fix. I'm surprised you can't unscrew either the overflow pipes or the bulkhead.

mtsully71

Well that sucks Monique, 3 things just to double check. Are the pipes nice and tight, don't forget to adjust the knob (it's probably all the way open) that will determine the amount of water in the overflow and make sure your head height is close for your return pump GPH. GL sister

Sully

spiraling

The bulkhead leak resolved itself. It was really small, so I'm not sure what happened.
The system ran great for about 3 hours, but then..... the return pipe fitting split. I'm waiting on a replacement from red sea.