Wanting to add an external sump

I have an original RSM 250. I've been wanting to add an external sump (Eshopps RS75) and I know people have done it. I have some questions though and hoping some can post pics. I've tried the search feature, but a lot of the links I've found on here the pics are no longer visiable. So here I go with the questions.

-Do you have any issues with moisture in the cabinet? Did you seal the cabinet in anyway? Do you ventilate the cabinet? Im just worried about the press-wood swelling.

-I've been able to find a few pics of the overflow boxes and the sumps in the cabinet, but I do not understand the actual piping with valves etc... What size are the pipes or tubing? For example from the overflow box into the sump is that a direct line with no valves? The big question for me is the return line, where exactly do you return that to, do you use valves and how do you get the water back into the display tank?

-What size return pump do you use?

-What have you done with the back sump area? I've been thinking of turning it into a refugium, and wondering if anyone has had luck with that?

Anything else I should know?

I appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

DaveK

Before you spend the money, time and effort to add a sump to an RSM 250, consider what your going to get out of it. There are some advantages, but it will also create some new problems.

With everything you would need to add and the cost and effort involved, I think you'd be better off putting this money into a new larger reef system.

Yes, quite a few people have added sumps to RSM 250's. Many feel it was worth it.

As for using the original filtration system areas as a refugium, this is a feel good project. It looks cool and you get bragging rights, but it is far to small to be really effective at doing anything.

Last edited:
That is exactly the thing. I mean its a all in one tank so why do it. Its just something I've been thinking about. Mostly, since I won a nice in sump skimmer at my LFS. It kind of sucks having nice toys you cant use. But at the same time, the work like stated to add the sump to the tank is another story. My wife said to just leave it as is, and I do agree with her, the tank is running great so why mess with it.

I would love to get a bigger tank, but this tank has only been set up for a couple of months and I've already upgraded from a smaller C130 tank. I appreciate the input, I'll just leave it as is for now, since its just not practical to do and I know its not. I guess Im just dreaming is all.

DaveK

For a dedicated reef keeper, having a sump / skimmer presents no problem at all. You simply set up a second tank. Your problem is resolved. (grin)