HELP! Max-S 500 T5 Lighting Issue

Coasty

My RSM S500 has been set up for two years and has recently developed a problem with the lighting (or the lighting panel.) When the timer steps to a new cycle, the T5s will come on for some random amount of time, then go out leaving nothing on (I am set to always have at least Moonlight LEDs on) If I manually switch the left time dial to Moonlight, then back to center, the T5s will light, then after a random time, they go out, plunging the tank into darkness. The other bank will come on or can be energized manually and will remain lit! What do I try?

DaveK

First, how old are your bulbs? T5 bulbs used in reef applications are good for 12 to 18 months. You might simply be in need of new bulbs.

I'd replace the bulbs first, because you'll always be able to use them at some point. It's not money that's going to be wasted.

Beyond that, the next most likely suspect is the ballast, but I think Red Sea uses proprietary parts here, so you may not be able to go out to Home Depot and replace it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@RedSeaKev

Maybe Kev our Red Sea rep has some ideas...

and

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Coasty

I am on my third set of bulbs in two years, with about 8 months on the current set. I was saving for the LED upgrade rather than another set of T5s, but I may have to put in a new set one more time