IM Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama Build Thread

hedgeclipper2

Well after narrowing it down to the IM NuvoFusion 20 we went to the LFS to get it and they had a brand new in box IM Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama 20 gal and the spouse was in love. Its a great looking aquarium and we like how tall it is so it came home with us
spineyes.gif

From the LFS we got:
Innovative Marine Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama 20 gallon
Jager 100w heater
API test kit
AI Prime HD w/flex mount
12 lbs of base rock, 8 lbs of live rock
20 lbs of fiji pink sand
And other assorted goodies (thermostat, algae cleaner, etc.)

Tank is up and running already after about an hour of rockscaping to see what we like best. We ended up with a "bridge" between the two ledges which we think the fish might like to hide in.

Pics:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 35

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a build thread !

Great start & pretty tank ! I have not seen a Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama before

index.php

hedgeclipper2

Day 2:

Tank is all cleared up, this pump is SO loud though, taking recommendations for a new one? Would like to get one that is strong enough that power head is not needed. Sicce 1.5? MJ1200?

Ordered the Tunze Nano Osmolator (tank is already needing 12 oz per day!), acrylic top w/clips, Milwaukee digital refractometer (the swing arm the LFS gave me I do not like) and the Vertex Cleaner-Mag.

Once I decide on a new pump I will pick up the Spin Stream nozzles.

Dropped a shrimp in so it's on its way!

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

hedgeclipper2

They are not cheap... but for added circulation... check out a Vortech MP 10.

For now I went ahead and got a Sicce 1.5 to replace the return pump. Since we are going slow, wanting to make sure tank is good and cycled (3-4 weeks) and then get our CUC and a pair of clowns into QT (4-6 weeks) we don't plan on adding any corals until the Clowns are out of QT, hopefully by then I will have some money again ha. This is not a cheap hobby ;)

I need to try and find a used MP10, brand new price tag is steep.

hedgeclipper2

We already have our first hitchhiker on the 8 lb live rock we bought at the LFS. We briefly turned on the lights and saw what looked like a 2-3" brown bristle worm. Not sure if he is going to be evicted or not. He quickly sucked back up into his little hole. Thoughts?

DaveK

Not a bad start, but you might want to rethink the lighting. LED lighting, especially pendants, likes to go straight down. You can see this in your tank picts, very bright under the light, dim on the ends.

You might want to get a second light, so the lighting is a bit more even. Another way would be to return it and get LES strip lighting.

hedgeclipper2

Day 3 AM:

Did some quick tests and topped off with 8 oz of RODI water (I Sure will be glad when ATO unit gets here tomorrow).

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrite: 0.00 ppm (I know it's too early to test this, just honing my testing skills
wink.gif
)
Nitrate: 0.00 ppm (I know it's too early to test this, just honing my testing skills
wink.gif
)

Tank looks nice and clean. Temperature is at 82.4 this morning, I keep it pretty cold in my house at night, so not sure why it is so high. Heater is set at 79ish.

hedgeclipper2

Not a bad start, but you might want to rethink the lighting. LED lighting, especially pendants, likes to go straight down. You can see this in your tank picts, very bright under the light, dim on the ends.

You might want to get a second light, so the lighting is a bit more even. Another way would be to return it and get LES strip lighting.

We were concerned about this as well, but since we wanted to start slow and see how we do before we invest a lot we decided to wait and see if we like the AI Prime HD and if so we may add another one to reduce shadowing.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a few bristle worms are good members of the clean up crew, they can get back in the rockwork where snails can't reach and eat debris :)

there population will stay at a reasonable number, as long as you don't overfeed

hedgeclipper2

a few bristle worms are good members of the clean up crew, they can get back in the rockwork where snails can't reach and eat debris :)

there population will stay at a reasonable number, as long as you don't overfeed

I feel bad for the little guy though. All alone with no food and a large ammonia/nitrite spike headed his way :(

hedgeclipper2

Spouse brought home some ammonium chloride from his lab, dosed to about 4.0 ppm. This is much better than the dead shrimp in the tank method ha.

hedgeclipper2

Sicce Syncra Silence 1.5 installed - best, purchase, ever. Tank is almost whisper quiet now and flow is greatly improved. Was kind of hard to install since reaching all the way down into the bottom of the sump in the AIO is hard.

Tunze Nano Osmolator - what can I saw, I was tired of topping off every 6 hours since as this is a rimless tank, works great so far, for the next couple of weeks I am keeping the pump in a 1 gallon jug full of RO/DI just to make sure it works okay, don't want any nasty tank overflows, tank can easily accommodate 1 gallon without overflowing.

I also ordered a piece of acrylic and the clips for it to cover the top (will still leave a .5" gap around the edges for proper surface evaporation, etc but I am hoping this will cut down on topping off.

Ammonia is holding steady at 2.0 ppm, no sign on Nitrites just yet.

hedgeclipper2

Day 5 PM:

Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm (holding steady)
Nitrite - .025 ppm (first time this has showed anything)
pH - 8.0

Now the spouse is already asking what CuC we should get, and since we won't have much bioload at first and don't want to be feeding to much and introduce too many nutrients into the system I was thinking:

1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 blue leg hermits
3 trochus snails

I don't want to get too many and have them starve. Thoughts?