Pump flow RSM 130

Kikolool

Hi guys,

I am currently rethinking my setup in terms of pump configuration. I switched the stock circulation pump to one with much less power, that is why I installed two TUNZE 6015 Nanostream. One is (looking from the front) at the upper right corner close to the surface skimmer which directs at the back plate to have a flow behind my reef. The second one is on the upper left corner (close to the back too) and pointing to the middle of the front glass. Both are on 24/7. I have the feeling that this is maybe to much of flow, maybe the one at the upper left corner would be sufficient. My reef is not touching the back, so water can always flow around. On the other hand, the 6015 is the smallest flow pump and should not make too much hassle. Am I overthinking?

Alex

DaveK

As long as the fish can swim around, I'd say that it's almost impossible to have too much flow in a reef system.

Placement of circulation pumps is more an art than a science. Since every tank has different rocks, corals and such, exact placement of the pumps is more a trial and error situation. You want you system to have minimal "dead" areas. You can also move the pumps around from time to time to get full coverage. Sometimes you want flow along the bottom to clean up dirt. Other times you might want better circulation through the rock.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Interesting, can I add a simple thinking to this, we cannot replicate the flow patterns of a Coral Reef within the aquarium without some pretty comprehensive equipment and flow pumps etc.

Having been fortunate enough to have dived in the Red Sea on many occasions I am still amazed by the power the Oceans harness, I'm 300lbs in weight so not small by any means and to be tossed around like a pebble can be scary at times, the beauty the fish has in the freedom of the Ocean is when the going gets tough the tough get going and for sure they will hunt for some respite and get out of the massive currents and swells, this also happens in the aquarium to an extent so I must admit to thinking "Them poor fish" when I see folks adding 50 times turn over to their systems, its great for SPS only systems but we do have to put some thought into this when adding flow to aquariums, Red Sea aquarium come with a suitable flow system for many types of animals but granted some will require more flow, just give some thought to your fish folks, unless your putting them on steroids and working out I don't see FISH needing massive flow.