Red Sea Introduces New Max Nano (20 gal)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
max-nano-side.jpg

http://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-...il&utm_term=0_2dbd490786-fd9b9a1334-127889949

DaveK

A few of my own thoughts on this system -

Overall I like the design, but you do need to keep in mind that the system only holds 20 gal of water, so this limits what you can keep in the tank. The video seemed to show about 8 fish in the system, which is really far too many for a 20 gal tank. I would recommend 2 to 3 small fish.

Note the aquascape. It's more or less a cone of rocks in the center. This is actually good if you want corals, since the puts them directly under the light. If you tried to do a more conventional aquascape along the back wall, you could run into areas on the sides that were really dim. This is because LED lighting tends to be very directional, more or less going straight down.

I'm not a big fan of open top systems, because I've have quite a few fish go "carpet surfing" over the years. I'd want to add a cover or a mesh screen.

I would have also like to have seen a larger "bucket" for the ATO system. Having it last only 3 days is really far too short a time period. You might want to add a larger ATO in the in the base and get a controller for that. That adds to the price, but they you can go away for a week or so and not have a problem with evaporation.

Done properly, a system like this can be a real gem.

Oxylebius

A few of my own thoughts on this system -

Overall I like the design, but you do need to keep in mind that the system only holds 20 gal of water, so this limits what you can keep in the tank. The video seemed to show about 8 fish in the system, which is really far too many for a 20 gal tank. I would recommend 2 to 3 small fish.

I'm not a big fan of open top systems, because I've have quite a few fish go "carpet surfing" over the years. I'd want to add a cover or a mesh screen.

I would have also like to have seen a larger "bucket" for the ATO system. Having it last only 3 days is really far too short a time period. You might want to add a larger ATO in the in the base and get a controller for that. That adds to the price, but they you can go away for a week or so and not have a problem with evaporation.

These three points hit my initial thoughts as well.

Too many fish, I don't like the false advertising here. Good tank for a trio or pair of nano fish. Pistol/fish pairing or clown/anemone pairing can work also.

Needs some sort of screen top option, too many fish die b/c of not having a closed top.

Larger ATO bucket needed for sure. Once a week to fill the bucket is good, not every three days (who has the time!!).