RSM 130D - First Salty Venture

Burge1983

1. Well, its underway. Just thought id start to share my first steps into reef keeping with a tank diary, and hopefully getting some feedback and advice from you guys along the way. This has taken me close to 10 months to get to the point of im at now, with saving and researching uncovering new things i need to take into consideration.

The Tank - Red Sea Max 130D, bought second hand from ebay that was a complete shell, no equipment supplied just the tank and stand

Equipment - Tunze 9001 skimmer; Tunze 3155 Osmolator ATU; Eheim 150 Heater; 2 x Eheim compact 600's fitted in the last chamber for return; Vortech MP10 QD; Red Sea Max accessory kit that i will be hooking up to another eheim 600 and feeding a phosban 150 to.
    Media: Stevie T basket running floss; purigen and chemi pure elite in; Rowa will be running in the phosban (may be able to get rid of the chemi pure then)

Lightining: generic chinese black box 165w LED.

Substrate/Rock: 8 kilos of TMC coral gravel (4kg fine; 4kg medium grade); Caribsea Reel Rock (about 10-11 kg at the min, have some left over and trying to find a way of getting this into my scape.

Burge1983

1. When installing my auto top off, a Tunze Osmolator, had a bit of a nightmare with this as when i turned it on the pump was working, but not drawing water into the tubing. After a bit of research discovered that there is a red screw inside the housing that regulates flow strength, and it transpired that this wasnt turned up. This, along with priming the pump by battering it around inside the water reservoir, seemed to help it kick in.

Had a bit of a move around with my scape as i wasnt happy with it, pics to follow.

Added a bottle of colony the other day and added my first two residents!! water params are all looking good. the tow clowns are eating well, feeding on brineshrimp with garlic and elos SMv2 pellets.

I wish someone would have told me about the sleeping habits of clownfish. I had to go downstairs make my son a bottle in the middle of the night and found the common clown floating on the surface of the water sideways. was convinced he was on his way out, but in the morning when the lights came on he was happy as anything swimming around. weird little things

SPR

Nice tank and welcome!

It's great to follow the build of others tanks and experiences as helps us all learn a little more.

Burge1983

WP_20161012_20_16_20_Pro.jpg

Hi all,

Pic of the rescape included. Not done much to it over the past couple of weeks due to me getting a weird nitrite spike that ive had to leave to settle. all good now though

pH - 8.1
Temp - 24
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
Alk - 7.7
Phosphate - 0.046

picking up a couple of hermits tomorrow. unsure as to whether to go for red or blue legs though

Burge1983

Should also say im dosing aquaforest pro bio s and NP minus, 1 drop per day of the concentrated stuff. planning to use all AF products going forwards

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I like snails for cuc (clean up crew) some like crabs, but you have to replace snails more often if you go hermits, they like escargot :winky:

Trio91

Looks good, keep us posted on the AF products....I am interested in seeing how that progresses

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burge1983

blasto.jpg zoa.jpg Just a couple of pics of new additions. My LFS has an amazing set of corals that he's constantly fragging, saw these the other day and couldn't resist. I know its a little early for coral but I'll just see how I get on. theres also a green mushroom ive not got a pic of yet

Burge1983

No mate, Blasto Merletti..pic doesn't do it justice, only a single head but the colour is stunning..only £6 as well

MarkD

Nice start, Haven't been on here much lately but there are a lot of great people with tons of advice.

I have the same tank and started up about a year ago. Take your time and things should work out fine. I agree with nanoreefing4fun, I wanted hermits and had different types but you will be replacing snails
God luck and keep the pics coming