Monique's RSM 130d

Trio91

ah - and one thing I forgot to mention. I've started a pod farm. I noticed my brittle star and pod populations have declined, and I haven't seen an asterina in months. I figured having extra pods for the livestock and detritus removal can't be a bad thing. Its also my first step into one day having a mandarin. I figure if I can routinely harvest pods then I might be able to provide a good home for one, but not until then. It looks fairly easy, so we'll see how it goes.
what are you using for your pod farm?

spiraling

I guess I've been in denial about how much nutrients are in my tank. I have GFO and dose nopox, so when I do measure, both nitrate and phosphate is low in both tanks.

I saw a post somewhere about using the 'nutrient export' mode on the vortech. I tried it out for about an hour a day. I can certainly hear it running at that time, but the first day there was quite a bit floating around. By day 3 there wasn't much, but I'll leave it on since it does seem to help stir up things a bit.

Now for the 40g frag tank. It looks clean, I use a powerhead to stir thing up before a water change, I have a Reef Octopus HOB that pulls out a lot more crap than the tunze. There is a bunch of rock rubble and no sand. There are a few corals and one six line wrasse. I don't feed much at all. Really, like 3 mysis shrimp and some occasional coral food. But I have had continuing problems with unwanted algae. A three day blackout didn't do much, so I think what is growing on the rocks now may be bacterial. Per another post I wanted to try some H2O2.

I took out a section of rock rubble. killed any bubble algae or vermitids, and put the rocks in a solution of tank water and H2o2 and let it soak. it kills bristle worms immediately. Now I'm not a bristle hater, but overall took out about a hundred of them, again leading to the notion of too much nutrients.
Once I had a section of rocks out I siphoned out the tank glass in that area. Part of it was certainly some sand, but there was a lot of crap as well. The buckets were all dirtier than any WC in a while.

I will note I did not dip any rocks with corals on them. I know zoas can take it, but after the last dipping incident I left them all in the tank.

3 hours and 15 gallons later I know I got a lot of stuff out. I put the rocks in piles, and where I can see the glass there is still debris and the tank looks like it needs a siphoning.

To be honest I'm really not sure where its all coming from. My best guess is I've had several corals die and the detritus is from those times. I'll have to be more diligent in both tanks about stirring up stuff.

spiraling

Back from our honeymoon vacation in Mexico! Snorkeled everyday. saw turtles, eagle rays, an octopus, eels, tons of fish, lots of corals.

My first thought snorkeling is there is a LOT more flow than in my tank. Even around softie gorgonians. Second, there didn't seem to be a ton of light. Maybe because it was overcast a lot. But I see tanks with MH on the internet all the time and that seems like more light than I encountered. The deeper reefs with all the coral in particular seemed to have lower par as perceived by me. I was hoping for more light to see better colors.

My tanks look good after my friend took care of them. the RSM had an explosion of calurpa though. Its taking over. I hate the stuff. I have been picking it off and fighting it but at this point I really think I need a full tear down to get rid of it. It is on every rock and tries to choke the corals. i can spend an hour ripping it out and only make a dent, and the little roots I can't see grow right back. uggh

spiraling

I'm trying the red sea colors additives. I've had pretty good coral growth, especially the SPS, but the colors are rally washed out compared to when I got them.

spiraling

My parameters are low again. Both CA and Alk. I was doing some reading and didn't realize how important Mg is to this equation, and that was low too. Did a couple of water changes and dosed my two part and some Mg. I really need to get an auto doser for this tank to keep it more stable.