Laminate on slab

Susan Mattei

Hi...I am new here, and was looking for flooring help.
I have a 75 gallon reef tank. We just purchased a home
and the tank will be on laminate over slab. How can I best
protect my floor? Thanks for listening

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Hopefully some members that have laminate over a slab or know can advise.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
It shouldn't harm the laminate at all.,...unless water gets spilled. I've had tanks for years with no spills. (Now that I said that, I'm probably going to have a leaky tank when I get home.)

Just put a towel around the perimeter during water changes, and ensure your drip loops are over cups and you might be fine as-is.

Jeff

Susan Mattei

It shouldn't harm the laminate at all.,...unless water gets spilled. I've had tanks for years with no spills. (Now that I said that, I'm probably going to have a leaky tank when I get home.)

Just put a towel around the perimeter during water changes, and ensure your drip loops are over cups and you might be fine as-is.

Jeff
Thanks for your input....I am sure you will also be fine:)

StirCrayzy

I would advise against putting a tank on laminate only unless you are sure there is no foam underlay below it.
This foam underlay can compress over time /weight and pull the joints apart from nearby boards. Also if there are any concentrated weight areas, the boards themselves can become distorted.
Water exposure will exponentially quicken the time it takes for these problems to surface, and the low spot created will draw more water toward the problem area.
If you aren't sure whether there is foam under your laminate floor simply pull up a piece of the shoe moulding and you can usually see what's under it. Since laminate is generally a "floating floor " installers leave a gap near the edges for expansion covered by the moulding s.