RSM 250 Sump/refugium any idea ? Need one..

kementer

Hi guys,
My name is Mike live in queens and i have a RSM 250 since this summer . I have live rock 70 lbs and sand and a few coral and fish in my tank but been having a hard time with nitrates and deritus .

I have read that a refuguim might help since i do water changes a almost every week and feeding once every other day . I have seen you guys have sump refugiums in the cabinet some ppl cut the middle divider and place a nice size sump/refuguim in there .
But im to scared to cut it . I have seen lifereef combo with two different tanks in both compartments joint
together with tubes but seem very expensive .

I have a guy on ebay that can make a custom tank 15 1/2 x 18 x 16 but is that too small? Also thickness 1/4 or 3/8 does that matter also ? So been looking for months now you guys have any good ideas . Been a fan of this site and you ppl are very helpful .
Need guidance and never set a sump refugium either what is needed ?

Thanks for you help ,
Mike

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary nad the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Hopefully some member can advise on the sump ...

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I saw on here too that people have sumps. I guess I really don't understand that. The reason that I bought this tank was that it is an all in one with the sump basically in the back.
Just curious what type of clean up crew that you might have to help with deritus. What are your nitrates testing at?

kementer

I have ordered from reef cleaners 2x they gave me the tiny small black ones that look like a invasion at nite on glass. The bigger shells Ive notice my hermit crab eating them perhaps no food touches the bottom so he eats them? There alot of empty shells in my tanks There ceriths i think .The nitrates where always high every weeks so i stopped feeding every day I feed every other day now .

Also lights on only 6 hrs now and still deritus all over the sand bed . I have 12 fish 2tangs 1 dogface 1 angel rest are small fish chromis and demsels. I read by having a sump refuguim the refuguim will hold the deritus and feed on that i can also take skimmer the deltec i have and palce that in sump cause the skimmer i have from reef dynamics is ok but not as good a deltec and place that in sump part and a ATO but afraid of overflow or if sensor get stuck for the ATO ? I want to cut the divider and place a nice size sump/refuguim like a seen a few pppl do but im so scared of that .

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
How large are those first four fish?
How high are the nitrates? Do you have anything that cleans and turns the sand?

kementer

Tried to downlaod pic from comp but dont know how says URL or file to big . Think the tangs might be too big 3-4 inch with dogface angel lik 1 1/2 inch . I Did buy nassaurius i think the name is they have an antenna seen them at nite come out a few had bought 10 then another 10 after 5 months . Tanks been existing since last summer i had no problems since i changed my skimmer from deltec 500 to reef dynamic i wanted an enclosed skimmer to open the hood for maintance.
reefdynamics.com/RED-SEA-MAX-250-2-PUMP-NANO-SKIMMER

Reefdiver

Mike

I wouldn't cut center divider. Your full tank weighs roughly 800 lbs and you likely need that support intact. Sump can help with water quality, but most rsm250 owners figure it out without adding one. So go through the basics first: ro/di water, frequent water change, cut back on light, CUC, cut back on feeding volume,etc. some people add sump to add volume, grow macro algae, grow 'pods, make dosing easier, ato, etc.

salty23

Sorry to bump this up, but has anyone cut the middle divider without any negative long term effects?

kementer

Someone did on youtube and got a nice size sump in there. Look great wont let be post link .Also just bought one sump refuguim custom 15/18/16 need to get rid of it now . Just doing fish only tank much easier .
Any in NYC need one for red sea max 250 cabinet fits perfect sell cheap need to get rid of it fast.

kementer

I wanted too as well and get some support rods frm home depot and screw them onto cabinet for extra support but seem to scary .

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I like Miguel's way of doing it. Separate sump and refugium with only holes drilled in center brace.

Trinny

I wonder if our tanks have a film on the outside of the back of the tank that a small section can be cut and peeled off to add a magnetic LED light to have a in sump mini refugium.

Attachments

• IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 9

DaveK

... I have 12 fish 2tangs 1 dogface 1 angel rest are small fish chromis and demsels. ...

You have 12 fish in a tank that is only about 65 gallons. You also have two tangs, which are big dirty fish. No wonder you have a nitrate problem. You also have an additional problem in that your tank is way too small for the dogface or the tangs. These fish typically have a tank size requirement of about 125 gal, but that's a different issue. I can't be sure about the angel since you don't mention which species you have.

Here is how this all works out. By the time you add live rock and a shallow sandbed the volume of water is down to about 50 gal. Typical "rule of thumb" for a SW tank is about 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of actual water. This means that your tank should have about 10 total inches of fish.

With the two tangs, dogface, and angel figured at about 3 inches, and 8 damsels figured at about 2 inches, you have about 28 inches of fish. Maybe a little less if your fish are smaller, but you still need to provide room for growth. You are almost 3 times over typical stocking limits. If your were only a little over, I'd say you might get away with it, but it's not going to end well if you don't resolve the overcrowding.

I don't think adding a sump and/or refugium is going to solve your problem. You choices come down to this. Either upgrade to about a 180 gal tank or remove the big problem fish.