Shipping fish and coral from Hawaii

tangerine3486

Hey RS,
Moving back to the Mainland, and trying to ship some fish (pair of clowns) and zoas ahead of me. Best shipping I can find is UPS, drop off Monday afternoon, and it will be delivered Wednesday afternoon. Will be packed by my LFS that does a lot of shipments. A search here and on google did not get me the answer I am looking for:

Is 2 days too long?

Thanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Best of luck ! Hope some members can advise...

most fish I see shipped are with overnight delivery, the zoas I am sure will be fine, but I would worry about my clowns...

See what others think, maybe some members have had overnight deliver that was delayed to 2 days & can advise how that went...

Lots of times the shippers send fish late in the day for early am delivery and it closer to 12 - 18 hours

DaveK

The big question is how much will it cost to ship. This can be very expensive. You might want to sell, trade, or give away all the livestock you have and start over once your moved in.

tangerine3486

Hey! Thanks for the answers, the solution I used was to ship via american airlines cargo. 2 flights and made it from Hawaii to Maryland in just about 21 hours tank to tank. Downside was that someone had to pick it up and was more expensive than UPS and FEDEX, but was over 12 hours shorter than the next fastest option. Fish and zoas did great.

Oxylebius

I'm glad shipping on the airline worked for you. I was going to suggest this as well. I've had hook and line salmon caught in Alaska shipped on Alaskan Airlines overnight to me so that the fish is fresh (caught, gutted & pressure bleed, put on ice and shipped on the airlines). It can be costly.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
absurd question....I have never flown at all....Can it be taken with you on the plane trip?
My guess would be no... they don't let you carry on any container that's larger than a few ounces. I suppose you might be able to check it as luggage, but I'm not sure.

Squatch XXL

I suppose you might be able to check it as luggage, but I'm not sure.
I would imagine that if you contacted the airline, you could find out about this. 2 days in transit seems awfully long.

Keep in mind that I hear that the cargo area can get cold.

Plane trips get corals and fish from far out places to our tanks regularly, and I think you will find out that this happens often.

Good luck and do let us know....I am curious myself.