Ramie's Fluval Evo Aquarium 13.5g

Ramie

I bought another new tank ...testing out the Fluval Sea Evo Aquarium Kit (13.5 gal).

I bought an awesome piece of live rock (20.lb), but worried the piece is actually too big for this 13.5g tank... it fits perfectly...I plan on putting some coral frags in there to test out the LED's. (I'm not knowledgeable at all on LED's) 1-2.lb per gallon is what I was thinking...

Fish wise do you think 1 clownfish would be ok in there? Till I move my RSM 130? (I'm ordering a new living room suite and have to move the Living Room around)

Tank spec page

http://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/10531-evo-aquarium-kit/#.V51dR2grKUk

I ended up pulling the big one out and sticking a couple small pieces in there.. I'm gonna try and work with some smaller pieces so I can put my clownfish in there and him have room to move. and get rid of the Sauna (14g Biocube). Mixing the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Water and gonna start to tear down the RSM 130... 1 Clown Fish, tiny blue leg crabs, 5 small Trochus snails or Astria snails,(I can't tell them apart) a few corals in a cycled Biocube till I can get this one set up and RSM 130 moved... tempted to research how to rockscape the side wall with LR on the RSM 130...I've seen it done on huge tanks, but wonder what it would look like on this.... too many ideas.

This guy is bigger then the pic seems. He's about 2-3 inches. And has the fattest head I've ever seen on a Percula. Been trying to get a front shot but.... he's not having it yet... lol

Would he be alright in a 2 yr old 14G cycled Biocube or even the Evo? Till I can move the RSM 130? I'd love to put him in the new Fluval EVO. I'm using cycled sand from one of my tanks, and LR that has been cycled and some have Zoas & Mushrooms on them to put in the EVO. So I doubt if it's gonna even cycle. Always that chance though. My RSM 130 didn't. I used sand and LR from my 3 yr old RSM 250 to set it up and it never cycled. 6 weeks of waiting and nada.. Sold the RSM 250 years ago...

Ramie

I just bought a new Fluval PS1 Protein Skimmer for it. I drove an hour and a half because no LFS near me had it......I get it home...and it's the wrong one.. I needed the PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer...

(face palm)

Luckily I had a new AquaticLife Internal Protein Skimmer 115 in the basement. I've tried a few nano tanks before and finding a decent skimmer to use in them....I have started hoarding Saltwater stuff. It doesn't fit in the designated side compartment because of a small plastic piece on the bottom of the sump wall, but it fits in the center section if you don't put on the small extra plastic top tank lid or the suction cup connector on the skimmer. I have it just resting on the skimmer cup to keep it at the right height with the water. I'm still trying to find the PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer with no luck. Waiting for the water to be done and I'll post pics tomorrow.

rostervandross

Nice the tank looks really nice. You took that first big rock out though? I really like that big rock I thought it fit really well in there, had a cave and lots of ledges etc. Good luck starting up and see ya around !

Ramie

I just wasnt happy with that piece in that tank. But I got a few smaller pieces and it looks a bit better now. Tank had a small cycle on the 4th week. Been water changing it twice a week. I used already cured live rock from a spare tank, live sand from spare tank but I cleaned up the sand pretty good. Not a bad little tank so far. I've never had an LED light system before.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. It's light outside, and hard to get a decent photo right now. We moved the Evo to the other side of the kitchen and I'm worried it might get too much lighting.

Livestock is
1 True Percula Clownfish
5 blue legs
1 large red leg with white tips
5 margarita snails?
1 pom pom crab
1 bristle starfish? I'm waiting to capture. He's almost too big for this tank, but pretty well stuck up in the rock.

Stock tank, stock pump, stock filtration sponge and media, and stock Skimmer.

Think it's sustainable with that livestock? Minus the starfish?

Last edited:

Blue Space

It looks like a beautiful nano setup. I've no experience with the system or specs but with regular testing and WCs you can probably keep parameters in check. . . Beautiful markings on the clown! :D

Ramie

I'm so in love with that Clown!

I actually traded my butthead Black & White Puzzle Piece Percula in to my fav LFS cause she kept killing everything in my RSM 130.

This one is not shy at all. Comes right up to me for photos, feeding, or even just to say hello...

I have him eating PE mysis, and curious on how much to feed him and how often. I was feeding him once a day with one of those cubes, but since my livestock has dwindled down to almost nothing...I don't want to overfeed. Would 1/4 or half of a PE Mysis cube be ok for him? I rinse it really well, but it still leaves a nasty oily layer on top of my water. I'm trying to do whatever I can to keep a nice clean stable Nano tank.

Gonna try and get some decent shots tonight if my camera charges... It's old...

Ramie

Update

I bought a Komohara Blenny today to put some more action in the tank. My only concern is for my Pom Pom crab. Curius if he's going to harm him. I was told he would be peaceful as long as I keep him fed. Which I do on a daily basis. I feed PE Mysis for my clown, and the crabs get a couple pellets of Crab Cuisine.

I also noticed I have another small crab in there the same size as my PomPom but not sure what it is or where it came from. I couldn't get a good enough picture of it yet. (def not a molt of the PomPom) Kind of a greenish beige. Waiting to see if it comes out and lets me get a few shots of it.

I'm also super curious on the red algae growing....is it bad? any advice on it? I've only ever seen this in very big, much much older tanks. The rock is from my own stock, but has the red growth on it since the move from my Red Sea Max 130d that somehow has a leak. (Not a happy Camper)

Here's a few shots.

ReefApprentice

Great looking bulid! The red algae growing is coralline algae, perfectly harmless. As the crab goes id try to keep a eye on it, not all are reef safe, most are from the genus Xanthid.

Ramie

I've been going nuts trying to get the stock protein skimmer to work. Any tips? I can't get anything from it and I would like it to foam.

Last edited:

Free2talk429

I've been going nuts trying to get the stock protein skimmer to work. Any tips? I can't get anything from it and I would like it to foam.
Following I recently purchased this tank along with the protein skimmer, did you figure out how to get skimmer set up?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@Free2talk429

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Ramie

Following I recently purchased this tank along with the protein skimmer, did you figure out how to get skimmer set up?

I got it working for about an hour where it was skimming nicely and then poof just stopped.... It's super super finicky, but going to do another water change this weekend and maybe look at some other options if I can't get it working like it should.

Ramie

Sofar my adorable Pompom crab and the Komohara Blenny have been getting along perfectly. Bumped up my feeding of PE Mysis to a daily regiment... Not taking any chances with that Blenny. Gonna keep his belly full.

evo13.5

so i changed the filter medias on these i removed the foam, carbon, and the ceramic. i replaced with live rock rubbles, purigen and chemipure. anyone else thinking of changing the medias too on these?

Hipertec

How are you guys Evo 13.5 tanks working out for softy and LPS corals?
Does the tank get hot and how is the skimmer performance?
Looking to get this tank and skimmer for lps/softy corals and a few fishes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Exo