ATO and dosing pump suggestions needed

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Anyone have suggestions on a new peristaltic pump? My old Aqua Medic Niveaumat is dead. I'm thinking I will order either an Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti controller or the Hydor equivalent (opinions on either?). I just need a 'dumb' peristaltic pump for it to control. It can't be any other type due to the requirements of running it thru the talk reactor.

I found the aqua medic SP 3000, and a milwaukee version that looks very similar. There is also a scary cheap one on Amazon for $16... Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks,
Joey

cracker

Hello Joe, I don't know anything about dosers. I did recently get a Tunze 3155 ato. I like this unit a lot. a
A little pricey at 200$ .

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hello Joe, I don't know anything about dosers. I did recently get a Tunze 3155 ato. I like this unit a lot. a
A little pricey at 200$ .
That is what I'm looking at price wise for the separate controller and pump options. I like the reliability of the Tunze, I'm just not sure that it can handle the pressure from my kalk reactor. The reactor is fed thru ¼" tubing at the bottom, and the chamber holds about a gallon, with the outlet at the top.

DaveK

When your looking for a peristaltic pump, the most important thing to check out is the availability or replacement parts. Because it's a slow speed motor, usually geared down, and that your crushing a plastic tube to move fluid, there is a lot of wear and tear on it. This would make me tend to avoid any bargain brands. I think the Aqua Medic is about as good as your going to do, without spending a lot of money.

I have also used a diaphragm pump with a kalk reactor. Here is an example (offsite) - http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17513&cat=1113&page=1

These work well, and have less issues than peristaltic pumps, but the do have one downside. They make a lot of noise. They are also somewhat expensive.

The Tunze ATO is a great product, but it's not the sort of pump you want to run through a kalk reactor.