Sully's RSM Reefer 350

mtsully71

Well #*&$ :banghead: bad fish week, my Rock Beauty was TU this morning......No clue, no indications, no abnormal behavior, eating well, nada. Don't even know what to think. Just really pi**ed about it.

As I would like an angel (no pygmy, I have my flame) does anyone have some recommendations.

Sully

StirCrayzy

Yeah, that sucks, and I feel for Ya that rock beauty was badass. but to add some perspective, here's a real problem.

mtsully71

Yeah, that sucks, and I feel for Ya that rock beauty was badass. but to add some perspective, here's a real problem.

WOW! To think I was having a Sh**ty day. I can't imagine how you'll cope with yours.....I suggest a brown paperbag and immediatly dialing a crisis hotline. ;)

mtsully71

Well they clownfish :clownfish: laid eggs, only took them 8 years. I have no illusions on raising fry, so the tank will get a nice protein boost.

I do have a question though. Is spawning fish a good indicator of overall tank health? I am thinking yes, but figure some of you other peeps would know for sure.

Thanks

Sully

Oxylebius

Well they clownfish :clownfish: laid eggs, only took them 8 years. I have no illusions on raising fry, so the tank will get a nice protein boost.

I do have a question though. Is spawning fish a good indicator of overall tank health? I am thinking yes, but figure some of you other peeps would know for sure.

Thanks

Sully

It depends. For the most part yes, but fish and other critters will also spawn (or release live young early) as a last resort if they are stressed or at risk of dying.

Congrats on the clownfish eggs.

Pat24601

Thanks

Sully

I think @Paul B uses this as one of the key indicators for good health!

mtsully71

Dang, thread neglect at it's finest, almost as bad as @Pat24601 Busy time of year, tanks doing stellar, coral is growing. I had asked people in the past about PE during the day, as 80% of my coral had none. But now, a few hours after lights out..........very good tank PE :thumbup:

Of note: I increased my lights up to 80% more blues and decreased the amount of red about 1-2 months ago. 2 things happened.

1. The minor cyno I have in my tank has decreased by half

2 The colors of my corals have improved

Did a lot of reading about different light and how it affects corals and algae. I like the results I am seeing.

Happy reefing

Sully

Desmond

Glad to hear things are going well!

Nothing wrong with being busy
I second that better too much work than too little. I am overloaded with new job and my wife and decorating and painting projects around the house lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mtsully71

I second that better too much work than too little. I am overloaded with new job and my wife and decorating and painting projects around the house lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Painting projects :cursing: I don't like to paint, I have great painting skills, but I am to much a perfectionist sometimes. I would starve to death if I was a contractor!
Wife has got me talked into remodeling the masterbath this winter :whip:JOY!

Hey how about a little update to your thread while your at it Desmond :thumber2:

mtsully71

K PAS O reef addicts, a few things of interest I discovered recently.

Previously I mentioned that I was messing with my lights in an attempt to improve color and reduce the minor amount of red cyno I was seeing. Red cyno didn't make sense as I'm an over achiever when it comes to husbandry :D. By reducing my reds and increasing the duration of my blues, I have almost eliminated my problem. Understand, I know all tanks are different and one solution may not work for other tanks, but I can see a benefit to what I did and my corals actually have more color.

moving on.........:deadhorse:

I have had a ph ranges of 8.2 in the mornings to actually breaking over 8.6 at night for a while, crazy right :ponder2:

So I did some reading and it's almost impossible for a tank reading that high (I'm not getting into that).

I picked the brain of a forum member and a non forum member and as I was already doing at the time and the forum member advised.......... meh no big deal, unless I wanted to add a light to the refugium to have less of a swing. I subscribe to the same school of thought of the KISS method as the member :ofr:, and don't chase numbers.

My other person said hey, why don't ya try a recalibration, BOOM! I know, who woulda thunk that my apex PH monitor might be in need of re-calibration. Well, I am not to proud to admit a dumb moment and forgot to order the 7 solution with the 10. So, I check it with the 10 and was seeing 10.39 ish. Holy Bat guano my monitor is off. Re-ordered my 7 and 10 solutions and what did I learn :confuseded: If something is not right it is generally a simple solution, don't try to outthink what's right in front of you...
Except maybe your kids :bounce:

So, long story short my PH was off approx. .39 and after recalibration of the Apex probe my reading was 8.19 :thumber2:

Have great week reefers

Sully

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Glad to hear it was a simple solution to the pH issue :) lol and I'm glad the extra blues and less reds are doing the trick as well, cyano is a pain in the bum!! You know I'm a huge fan of the blues already haha

Sorry I disappeared from our conversation the other day too, I wasn't ignoring you for my game lol the missus was crook.

Need some new pics ;)

mtsully71

Glad to hear it was a simple solution to the pH issue :) lol and I'm glad the extra blues and less reds are doing the trick as well, cyano is a pain in the bum!! You know I'm a huge fan of the blues already haha

Sorry I disappeared from our conversation the other day too, I wasn't ignoring you for my game lol the missus was crook.

Need some new pics ;)

Well ya know I love a good remodel, so here's a glimpse of my latest project. I still can't decide on which clam to add though :ponder2:

bed-underwater1-690x462.jpg