RSM C130 with LED ? Any experiences?

ReefRob

Hi folks, are there any RSM C130 owners who replaced the default lighting with an complete LED replacement kit? I know there are some vendors offering this and it would be good for me for two reasons: less power consumption and less heat. So I would love to hear if there are any C130 owners who have experience with this.

Here are two of those LED upgrade kits: http://www.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-LED-Systems_c_104.html

Thanks!

Rob

melvis

Hi Rob

Certainly have, but this was with the older Steve's LEDs kit, although not the one that required too much. That wasn't too bad a conversion tbh and really has made a great difference, especially around the heat the old T5 PCs used to kick out. They are also a hell of a lot quieter than the stock ones, that often sounded like a plane getting ready to take off at times. I'd say they are a great purchase tbh and @StevesLEDs customer service is second to none. They'll offer the best advice on the particular set up you have and what you're looking to achieve.

I think @NickF is running the drop in version - he may well chime in with his experience of how easy it is. In fact, there might be something on his tank thread.

Hope that helps.
melvis

ReefRob

Melvis, thanks for the extensive reply, much appreciated. Two questions:
  1. Does such a solution supply you with all the necessary wavelengths and intensities?
  2. Do you know if the ship to Europe?
Thanks,

Rob

Orlando-Jeff

Hello ReefRob.
I replaced the stock PC's with a Orbit Marine Pro LED fixture. The 18" fixture fits perfectly where the original bulbs went. So far,all my corals have been doing fine. Don't know if it's available for shipment to Europe though.

melvis

You're welcome.

1. Absolutely, if you check out Steve's LEDs website you'll see all the info on this. Failing that, there's a really good thread on Reef Sanctuary called Steve's LEDs (I think) that has a wealth of info - from people with all sorts of systems that use their LEDs. You could always message Jeff at Steve's LEDs and he'll give you great advice.

2. Yep, certainly do. I'm in the UK and was surprised how quick they arrived. Not sure how you'll fare in the Netherlands, but I got stung for a load of import duty but still the best purchase I've made for my C130.

Cheers

ReefRob

You're welcome.

1. Absolutely, if you check out Steve's LEDs website you'll see all the info on this. Failing that, there's a really good thread on Reef Sanctuary called Steve's LEDs (I think) that has a wealth of info - from people with all sorts of systems that use their LEDs. You could always message Jeff at Steve's LEDs and he'll give you great advice.

2. Yep, certainly do. I'm in the UK and was surprised how quick they arrived. Not sure how you'll fare in the Netherlands, but I got stung for a load of import duty but still the best purchase I've made for my C130.

Cheers

Thanks Melvis, seems like a no-brainer purchase to me now...

melvis

The drop-in ones seem a lot easier and allow you to revert back if you ever need to. They are great lights and loads of people on here use them. I'd definitely take a few minutes (or hours lol) to read the thread as there's loads of advice on there. I documented mine in my thread if you wanted to take a look at that, and so did others but I can't remember who at the moment. NickF may have on his, worth a look.

I doubt you'd regret it mate... ;-)

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
ReefRob, you forgot the third reason! Brighter light and the ability to grow everything, all clams, corals, and anemones from every ocean. Steve's is the only company to guarantee that all species of photosynthetic corals will grow.

The latest drop-in system doesn't get any easier to install. Most people report 4-8°F water temp drops. We actually ship to Netherlands daily, takes about 7-10 days, very reliable delivery as well.

Thanks!
Jeff