Just ordered the Max S 650 - the journey begins

suspiria2

A few shots of the tank, the regal angel made it in and appears to be settling in well, no fights with anyone and he is eating

Attachments

• Tank Shot4.jpg
    Tank Shot4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Tank Shot 3.jpg
    Tank Shot 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • Tank Shot2.jpg
    Tank Shot2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • Tank Shot1.jpg
    Tank Shot1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81

suspiria2

Added a few new fish, a Bi Color Goat Fish, Copperband Butterfly Fish and a Queen Anthia.
I have my last fish in quarantine - Blue Hippo Tang. That will bring me to 15 fish and a full tank for now.

I can start concentrating on Corals now that I have the fish population that I want.

Added a few pictures of the new arrivals

Attachments

• Copperband Butterfly.jpg
    Copperband Butterfly.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Goat Fish.jpg
    Goat Fish.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • Tank Pic 2.jpg
    Tank Pic 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Tank Pic1.jpg
    Tank Pic1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

DaveR11

How is the copperband being treated by your bristle tooth? I'm a bit worried that my copperband will get beaten up by my two tangs so interested to see how yours is doing?

suspiria2

The bristle tooth ignored the copperband completely. The Regal Angel chased him for about 1 hour and then stopped. He has been in the display tank for 3 days and no issues after that first hour. I only have the one tang currently with a small hippo tang in Quarantine. The only fish the bristle tooth bothers is the goby and that is only from time to time.

Nice to see the new additions to your tank, the pictures of the leopard wrasses look amazing

suspiria2

The Copperband died over the weekend. Do not know why, he looked fine Saturday but was on his side under the rocks on Sunday morning. No marks or injuries externally. Had him for about 1 month and he was eating bloodworm from the start and had started to eat other foods (clam, squid) about 1 week ago.
Will probably try again as we did like the fish. Currently have a Hippo tang in quarantine where he will be for about another week (total of 4) and then see if there are any Copperbands in any of the surrounding LFS.

I did get 2 new corals, a green scoly and a hamerhead

DaveR11

The Copperband died over the weekend. Do not know why, he looked fine Saturday but was on his side under the rocks on Sunday morning. No marks or injuries externally. Had him for about 1 month and he was eating bloodworm from the start and had started to eat other foods (clam, squid) about 1 week ago.
Will probably try again as we did like the fish. Currently have a Hippo tang in quarantine where he will be for about another week (total of 4) and then see if there are any Copperbands in any of the surrounding LFS.

I did get 2 new corals, a green scoly and a hamerhead

Sorry to hear your copperband didn't make it.

suspiria2

Tried once again with another CopperBand, appeared to be doing well in quarantine and was eating.
Put him in the display tank and again the Regal Angel took a dislike to him and started to chase him. Unlike with the first Copperband he did not leave him alone and kept at him. I moved the Copperband to the sump but he died a few hours later.
Much as I like the Copperbands they are obviously not for my tank. Need to try something different, less delicate maybe. Looking to get 1 larger or 2-3 smaller fish to finish up the tank, hard to get that combination of reef safe, not too aggressive and not too delicate.

DaveR11

Tried once again with another CopperBand, appeared to be doing well in quarantine and was eating.
Put him in the display tank and again the Regal Angel took a dislike to him and started to chase him. Unlike with the first Copperband he did not leave him alone and kept at him. I moved the Copperband to the sump but he died a few hours later.
Much as I like the Copperbands they are obviously not for my tank. Need to try something different, less delicate maybe. Looking to get 1 larger or 2-3 smaller fish to finish up the tank, hard to get that combination of reef safe, not too aggressive and not too delicate.

I've just added a Potter's angel and my tangs were chasing him, particularly the bristletooth. I remembered someone on here using a mirror to deflect aggression so I stuck a mirror on one end of the tank. It is working really well. There is still some chasing but the bristletooth is really preoccupied with his reflection. Both tangs chased my copperband when I added him and it took 4 or 5 days to tail off. Now they mostly ignore each other. Going to leave the mirror in place for at least a few more days and then see how things are.

Salty150

I've just added a Potter's angel and my tangs were chasing him, particularly the bristletooth. I remembered someone on here using a mirror to deflect aggression so I stuck a mirror on one end of the tank. It is working really well. There is still some chasing but the bristletooth is really preoccupied with his reflection. Both tangs chased my copperband when I added him and it took 4 or 5 days to tail off. Now they mostly ignore each other. Going to leave the mirror in place for at least a few more days and then see how things are.

Let us know how your Potter's is doing... :)

DaveR11

Let us know how your Potter's is doing... :)

Hi Salty,

The Potter's seems to have settled in fine. I've posted some video on my tank thread. The mirror distracted the tangs for a few days so the aggression has not been too bad. So far he has been a model citizen - spends a lot of time browsing the back wall of the tank or picking algae of the rocks. Not seen any sign of him showing interest in my corals which is great.

Dave

Salty150

Hi Salty,

The Potter's seems to have settled in fine. I've posted some video on my tank thread. The mirror distracted the tangs for a few days so the aggression has not been too bad. So far he has been a model citizen - spends a lot of time browsing the back wall of the tank or picking algae of the rocks. Not seen any sign of him showing interest in my corals which is great.

Dave

Yes, just saw your video, nice!

A Potter's is on my stock list for the S-650 as well.

suspiria2

Made some changes to the tank. I just got the LED lights for the S 650 and still playing with the settings. A big improvement of the T5 lights especially the heat. The T5s were at the end of their lifespan so the timing was right to switch. Got a few new fish, a lawnmower blenny to deal with a algae bloom but he has decided that he doesn't like that kind of algae. Also got a hawkfish and a mandarin. The mandarin has been in the tank for about 7 weeks and I seeded the tank with copepods before i got him so he looks fairly plump. Got some new photos, could not get one of the mandarin but will try again.

In the picture with the blenny you can see the algae growth.

Should be at MACNA in a couple of weeks to take a look around, first time I have been to one.

Lawnmower Blenny.jpg hawkfish.jpg LED Lights.jpg LED Lights.jpg hawkfish.jpg Lawnmower Blenny.jpg

suspiria2

Have been having some bad luck with the tank recently, lost the Anthia, Regal Angel and the hawkfish, Goat Fish and the Naoko wrasse does not look good.

The Anthia, Hawkfish and Naoko started acting strangely where they would just hide in the rocks and not come out for food, this lasted for about a week and then the Anthia and Hawkfish died.
The Naoko is still alive but hiding. The Regal Angel died overnight. All of this has happened in the space of about 3 weeks.

All the other fish seem fine and are acting normally. I have done a couple of water changes since this happened. No more deaths in the past week.

I removed a plugin air freshener that was near the tank in case that was the issue. I did change to the LED lights 2 months ago so the top of the tank is more exposed than it used to be. Don't really know what happened, hopefully things have stabilized. The corals have been unaffected so far.

Cant really think of what could be causing it, hopefully it is over.

mr_tap_water

Hi there
If you think it may be the air freshener try adding some active carbon it will help get rid of any unwonted impurities in your tank, you could also try a poly filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

suspiria2

Three years since my last post, tank is still going although there have been a lot of changes. Had a bad algae issue for about 6 months that also made me think about shutting down the tank. Was finally able to resolve it. Had an ich infection, had to leave the tank empty for about 2 months and dropped all my fish off at my lfs where they looked after them, did end up losing about 40% of what i had. I have since installed a UV system to help out with those issues.
Tank population is almost completely different from when i last posted and is complete for now

I now have
2 Mandarins (had for 10 months so far, pair)
2 snowflake clowns (2 years)
Purple Tang (18 Months)
Vlamingi Tang (18 Months)
Tomini Tang (18 Months)
Atlantic Blue Tang (12 months)
Naso Tang (10 Months)
SailFin Tang (12 Months)
Yellow Tang (18 Months)
Hippo Tang (24 months)
Red Stripe Angel (12 months)
Flame Angel (12 months)
Rusty Angel (12 months)
Moorish Idol (6 weeks so far and eating strongly)
2 Anthias (6 months)
Quoys Parrotfish (18 Months)

Not much Coral at the moment, have been concentrating on the fish

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful fish and reef !

index.php

suspiria2

No major equipment changes, switched out the Protein Skimmer and added the UV System.
Also 2 of the rear pumps dies so I added a Vortech MP40.
Everything is pretty much Red Sea stock from 4 years ago