HELP! New acropora

jbow50

I bought my first acropora ever and im not sure of the species. It caught my eye at the lfs because of its red body with green polyps. However, when i got home i acclimated the coral and saw no aefw spots but there was a weird vertical anomaly with its body. The bottom portion is greenish black while the top portion is pink cotton texture. Any clue of what this is? Is it a goner or can i save him?
620ceeff8c5a9d1e8ffd1dd9bb386293.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DaveK

This looks like a coral that has had part of it die, but them came back and that's why it's got the opening in the side. There may also be a sponge living there. Usually those are harmless, but you might want to remove it since it's on a coral. Given excellent water conditions and light, in time the coral should bridge that opening and it will look as if it's never there.

At this point keep an eye on it, and look for signs of a problem, like black areas or tissue loss or bleaching.

It's kind of hard to say more because you didn't include much information about your system.

jbow50

This looks like a coral that has had part of it die, but them came back and that's why it's got the opening in the side. There may also be a sponge living there. Usually those are harmless, but you might want to remove it since it's on a coral. Given excellent water conditions and light, in time the coral should bridge that opening and it will look as if it's never there.

At this point keep an eye on it, and look for signs of a problem, like black areas or tissue loss or bleaching.

It's kind of hard to say more because you didn't include much information about your system.
I just added it a few days ago and it looked like that but maybe somewhat better now.
Specific gravity: 1.026
Cal: 430
Mag: 1300
Alk: 10.8
pH: 7.8-8.0
Nitrates: not detectable
Do you think its possible for it to come back with those parameters

DaveK

The water parameters look good, but there are a lot of factors involved, so one never really knows for sure. I've had corals that looked terrible when new thrive, and ones that looked great quickly die.

For now just keep an eye on it.

jbow50

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely keep an eye on it. I will also probably update later this week if i can remember.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

jbow50

The water parameters look good, but there are a lot of factors involved, so one never really knows for sure. I've had corals that looked terrible when new thrive, and ones that looked great quickly die.

For now just keep an eye on it.
cc1157b61a2aaf89203c9cbeb9b7477b.jpg

This is two days later. It appears more skeleton is showing. Im starting to doubt but im going to keep truckin. Trying to keep water chemistry stable. Should i try to feed it phyto or would that exacerbate the problem

DaveK

At this point, since you see the tissue receding, it's time to take more drastic action. Get one of the coral dips from your LFS, mix it according to the directions and dip the coral. If that think in the middle that sticks out and it's soft, it's likely a sponge, and a dip will likely kill it, so it's best removed.

Don't worry about feeding it at this point.

jbow50

Okay so ill remove it and dip it. Im planning on getting some coral rx and going from there and probably even dip it every day

jbow50

Coral is doing great now i actually cut a small branch off the old frag just in case. Its encrusting the rock i glued it to. The old frag is healing and looks great too except the sponge is coming back after pulling it out and dipping the coral :(. I guess ill keep an eye on it. It is showing its polyps awesomely now though. Maybe it can out compete the sponge i dont want get my hopes up too high though.