planning phase of a new 180 tank ???

cracker

Well ,that plan got ixnayed ! My object was to lift the rock off the sand bed. Why put a rock in the sb just to place another rock on it ? It just defeats the whole purpose ! So now I'm back to legs. :dunno:
so here is what I did. I wet some play sand to a consistency of sand castle sand. I packed it around cardboard rolls. think paper towel rolls. I mixed kinda wet, 1 part portland cement with 4 parts argonite for a calcium reactor. I pulled out the tubes and poured /stuffed this slurry into the depressions left in the sand. It sure didn't seem like very much cement.We shall see if it hardens or crumbles.

cracker

Here is a close up of the 1st lr pillar. it was a little crumbly at the top and the mix was too wet so a lot ran to the bottom. actually this made a nice hard"flat bottom. the texture looks pretty godd actually. it was easy to make these and I can see bigger rocks made this way. It was even fun to do. Also I got my 1'5 gate valve today for the synergy over flow . This thing is a monster ! I will need to find a way to brace the 3 drains out of the over flow box. I'm concerned about all the weight hanging with just the bulkheads to support it.

cracker

I got some more plumbing done today. Please excuse the tape. Doesn't look very professoinal !
I had to put a dog leg of sorts in the return line so the drains could drop straight down. hope it doesn't kill the pump too much.:wah:

I'll be using a herbie/bean type drain so I have to fit a gate valve in here somewhere. It's very heavy at 2 lbs !

cracker

Agreed ! I'll figure out something . Today I have some buddies coming by to set this tank on it's sid for drilling.
I "think " a couple of furniture dolly's will be enough support. I can drill in it in my living room . Being single has it's advantages ! LOL

Squatch XXL

I know that agrocrete takes a long time to chemically cure and become inert. I used pieces that I made a decade ago still. Small things like plugs don't take long because they are relatively thin...thicker pieces longer....

Keep in mind, there is concrete at the hoover dam that is still curing.

cracker

Hey squatch ! Take the Romans of old. Those guys were running around in toga's and sandles. If they could figure it out so can I. ! After all O got all You good people to help me out ! :yup:
I plan on putting the whatever these things are in a 20 gl tomorrow. I need to make more but need to dig out those base pieces and see if they will work 1st.
Also I drilled the tank and got the stand in place. be next week end before I can get some buddy's over for the final lift ! It will cost me :cheers:

cracker

I have a question for You discerning readers . Would You want your lighting center above the tank or slightly forward ? More light for the sand loving corals on display. Things are on hold at the moment I need sand and salt etc. The rock needs to cook longer I gotta figure out a way to get it off the sand bed. I made more pillars today. I have no idea how long it will take for them to cure ,stuff like that. Anyway I got a lot of the boring stuff done. looks like this.

Thanks again for following !

Squatch XXL

Thanks for the thread. I just made about 75 "plugs" out of argocrete. Probably would not have done IF I had not run out AND have read this thread.

cracker

Cool! Squatch, That's happened to me more then once here !
Ok I gotta brag a little. This pic is dead center front of my 10 foot 2 by 4 stand and not a shim in sight !

Am I good or what ! Actually I could not believe it was perfect level side to side front to back. LOL

Last edited:

cracker

Hey stir, the ends are not screwed to the wall studs yet. I was waiting to be sure everything is right Ahh level wise after I got some weight on it. Ya called me out Man ! LOL
I must confess, When I got the 75 gal sump in there it settled a bit and had to shim 2 corners

Hopefully I can line up the guys tomorrow for the final lift. That extra 350 lbs will settle the stand pretty good.

Last edited:

cracker

OK I got the tank in place and 1/2 of the return plumbing glued . Still have a lot to do ,lot's of details.

See anything wrong with the returns? This is going too smoothly. This never happens to me always something goes wrong .I don't trust it !

StirCrayzy

Dual return pumps feeding into a common rail will not be ideal. I think generally speaking you should run the two separate up to the display. The bigger pump will be pushing back down against the smaller pump that will be fighting the pressure in the line.

Maybe some of the plumbing experts can chime in. I might be off on this, but that is what comes to mind looking at it.

cracker

I'm using one return pump. It's a water blaster 10000. If You are referring to the vertical ball valve (far right of pic), that's to feed the refugium.

cracker

how does this drain mock up look to You? it's just a plan and not all lengths of pipe are decided yet. I want to use flex hose to route drain water to the sump. it will be easier to route and a lot lighter than hard pipe. I have a scheme to brace the heavy valve. It's not ready yet.

cracker

Ok so previous plans have changed again ! So which do You like?

example A

Example B
meaning example A is out of the way,tucked under the stand . Doesn't seem to conflict with anything or take up too much room. Example B is easy to see. when I go to adjust, I will be able to reach the valve also it will be more stable and supported. I personally like example B because it is more stable.