My mag and Ca are really high ??

cracker

Hi, I'm using a new redsea reef foundation pro kit. Twice now my mag and Ca levels are really high. I'm not dosing so I expect it's user error. Like Mag at 1500 and Ca at >500 ! The alk is low which I expected. I'm working on that.
Are these high levels of Ca and Mag bad? Thanks !

Revan

How does everything look? I wouldn't really consider them bad, but they're definitely on the high side.

cracker

Thanks Reven, The corals actually look great ! I moved them into a new/different tank a couple weeks ago and they are on the mend. Just didn't want to fry them as I get this alk up.

Revan

What is your alkalinity right now? If everything looks great then perhaps that alkalinity is right where it should be. Whatever your doing seems to be working. ;)

cracker

Reven, it was at 6 ! I'm not happy I let it go like that. This morning, I added 75 mls of ocean's Blend , part 2 . I haven't tested yet. The amount was per "Reef Chemistry calculator. " I will add less than the recommended and see. I suspect it was user error that gave me the high Ca &mag readings. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't whacked the system if the results were accurate. Thanks !

Oxylebius

It might be user error, as you mentioned. 500 is a bit high for Ca, but some people keep the levels as high as 450... so keep that in mind. As for Mg, natural sea water is at ~1285, For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine, and levels slightly outside that range (1200-1400 ppm) are also likely acceptable. Alk at 6 is a little low, as you already know, natural sea water is ~7.

You asked if the high levels of Ca and Mg are bad - well, they are out of balance with Alk and that isn't good. You already are trying to raise the Alk to get things back in balance and that is good. Until you resolve this you won't see much growth in your hard corals.

Here is a good read
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

cracker

Hi Oxy, I slowly brought up the alk to around 9 and everybody is doing really well. They all look a lot better than they ever looked in the 200. A few I just knew were goners are even starting to recover from bleaching around the edges. There is just something askew in the 200. I look forward to starting again. Thanks for "another" good read !

SPR

I have been dosing the Red Sea Reef foundation for around 6 weeks now

The first thing you need to decide is what you are trying to achieve as per the instructions as the parameters are different.

I was unsure at first but as most of my corals are small with a few exceptions i have gone for the Accelerated Growth option.

The parameters for this are Ca 465. Alk 12.6 and Mg 1390 which are all higher than the norms. If you read the manual and blog on the Red Sea web site it tells you all about it but basically your providing extra elements to boost coral growth

There are also videos which tell you all about the different stages of the reef management program.

I have been testing A B and C like a mad scientist recently but just be weary of results that look odd and retest if need be
I tested Mg a few days ago which has always been around 1400 just from the Coral Pro salt. When i tested is was 1340 so i added C to boost it and its now 1600 today!

The other option is enhanced colouration which has lower levels more towards the normal levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cracker

Thank's SPR. I'm still having issues with low alk in this 75. The inexpensive salt I was using was low to start with. would just mix a barrel add a add a deretimined amount of prt 2 and use it. Now I'm changing ing out this salt for a better quality(i hope) and see if my levels even out better. I have so few corals in there. Anyway the corals are looking pretty good good !